PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Save or Dies and Save or Sucks that aren't spells or psionics?

HaikenEdge
2014-09-13, 09:36 PM
Does anybody have a list of Save or Dies and Save or Sucks that aren't spells, Spell-like abilities, psionics or Psi-like abilities?

I'm looking for class features, maneuvers or anything else that is essentially a save or suck/die for a concept I'm working on, and was curious if anybody had an easy list that could be looked up.

Necroticplague
2014-09-13, 09:42 PM
If I remember right, some of the higher level Tome of Battle maneuvers included a couple of these (I think a Tiger Claw one let you pretty much rip their heart out their chest). Reaping Mauler also lets you do one if you pin them for 3 rounds in a row.

dextercorvia
2014-09-13, 09:56 PM
There are quite a few in my Melee Debuff miniguide. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?235631-Melee-Debuffs-Handbook-A-few-Nice-Things-for-Melee)

HaikenEdge
2014-09-13, 09:57 PM
There are quite a few in my Melee Debuff miniguide. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?235631-Melee-Debuffs-Handbook-A-few-Nice-Things-for-Melee)

That is beautiful, thank you.

Thanatosia
2014-09-13, 10:01 PM
Simple combat manuvers kind of work that way.... Trip, Disarm, and Sunder are all pretty bad Save or Suck vs melee and physical ranged dps (can't even fire a bow at all from prone). Grapple is a pretty big save or suck vs Casters until Freedom of MOvement becomes common.

HaikenEdge
2014-09-13, 10:03 PM
I'm actually looking for things where the victim has to not just roll and opposed check, but roll a save, because I was looking at ways to optimize the Unseelie Fey's Winter's Chill ability, so while disarm, trip and what not can be functional, they don't force a save, and are therefore pretty much immune to the dangers of Winter's Chill.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-09-13, 10:16 PM
Fear Handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=3809.0)

For example, a Zhentarim Fighter (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060327a) 9 with Imperious Command (DotU) can make an opponent cower every round as a swift action by making an Intimidate check. With proper skill optimization (Item Familiar, Competence bonus magic item) you'll always succeed on your Intimidate check. With armor that has the Fearsome property from DotU (which is a more recent version than MIC) you can do that to three opponents every round with a swift action and two move actions. That's one character spending every round to make three opponents he threatens cower every round, causing all three of them to do nothing for the entire fight.

A Bard can do similar effects (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?252815-3-5-Evil-Campaign#4), though the opponents get to make saving throws against most of those. Between Inspire Awe, Haunting Melody, and Dreadful Wrath, opponents will have to make three saving throws or become Shaken > Frightened > Panicked. He can also cast a Fell Frighten Sound Burst or similar to make opponents Shaken or escalate their existing condition by one step automatically. Nightmare Spinner allows him to do a similar effect on a single target. That build is a bit more reliant on spellcasting, though.

Just a whole party with Dreadful Wrath is a force to be reckoned with.

A Dread Necromancer 7+ can get a Ghostly Visage from the Fiend Folio for a familiar. That can always be possessing him and manifest over his face during combat to use its paralyzing gaze attack, though it can also affect allies. Note that as normal for gaze attacks it can spend a standard action every round to force an opponent to save vs its effect again, even if they're not looking or if they already made the save that round. A Dread Necro is pretty good at fear effects in general as well.

sleepyphoenixx
2014-09-14, 04:37 AM
Druids get a few of these via Dragon Wild Shape. Sleep, Paralysis, Daze, Poison, Energy Drain and Fear are some of the possible breath weapons, but there's probably a few more.

sideswipe
2014-09-14, 07:33 AM
there is a very cheap alchemical item that gives a fortitude save (reasonably high for its price) or the subject cannot breath air for hours (cant remember the exact time but it is measured in hours). this causes any creature without the breath air spell, or some other method of breathing another substance or not breathing at all to die.

Chronos
2014-09-14, 07:38 AM
There's also all manner of poisons.

Crake
2014-09-14, 08:24 AM
there is a very cheap alchemical item that gives a fortitude save (reasonably high for its price) or the subject cannot breath air for hours (cant remember the exact time but it is measured in hours). this causes any creature without the breath air spell, or some other method of breathing another substance or not breathing at all to die.

was gonna suggest this, its called aboleth mucus, i cant remember where its from, but iirc, its only like 20gp

Waddacku
2014-09-14, 09:45 AM
Choke Hold, a feat out of Oriental Adventures, makes an opponent you pin for a full round save or fall unconscious for 1d3 rounds. Wis-based Fort save, requires IUS, Improved Grapple, and Stunning Fist.

The Viscount
2014-09-14, 10:07 AM
Witch Slayer has a Su ability that's a targeted antimagic field, which could easily be quite sucky.

Inevitability
2014-09-14, 02:43 PM
Straight from core: Death Attack. It's pretty sucky though.

VoxRationis
2014-09-14, 03:47 PM
Of course, since death attacks are in most circumstances going to be full-damage sneak attacks as well... How many people would go for assassin without being rogues anyway?
Also, the monk has a save-or-die at higher levels. It doesn't seem worth the investment, though, unless you've already decided you want to play one.