PDA

View Full Version : Exploitable Unnamed Bonuses

supersonic29
2014-09-13, 09:51 PM
I know that occasionally in 3.5 you come across some sort of bonus, usually an enchantment, that isn't listed as enhancement/shield/etc. so you can stack it by having everything on your body have that enchantment. What are some of these that can be exploited?

The one I know of specifically is Quickness, which offers 5ft extra base speed.

Hamste
2014-09-13, 10:02 PM
The Defending enhancement is pretty exploitable.

supersonic29
2014-09-13, 10:20 PM
The Defending enhancement is pretty exploitable.

That's interesting, how tough or easy is it to get a fat enhancement bonus on your weapon to funnel into AC at will?

Forrestfire
2014-09-13, 10:22 PM
Superbly easy. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/magicWeaponGreater.htm)

Apply Chain Spell for fun and profit.

Hamste
2014-09-13, 10:31 PM
If you are a caster? Very easy, Greater Magic weapon is a third level spell for wizards (Fourth for Clerics who would probably use the ac more) so you just get a +1 defending weapon and cast greater magic weapon on it to get more ac. The trick to wield a lot of weapons at the same time (I can't remember all the weapons but there are a lot of ways).

Edit:Ninja'd

nedz
2014-09-13, 10:31 PM
You might find this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?125732-3-x-X-stat-to-Y-bonus) list useful too.

supersonic29
2014-09-13, 10:44 PM
So lets say, 6th or 7th level spell slot, chained spell Magic Weapon Greater, a Thri-Kreen Wiz/Sor or Clr, quad wield +1 Defending weapons, and AC out the ass?

That sounds just not-okay enough for me

Edit:

You might find this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?125732-3-x-X-stat-to-Y-bonus) list useful too.

I have seen that list, very good if you want to do this type of thing with ability scores.

Hamste
2014-09-13, 10:58 PM
So lets say, 6th or 7th level spell slot, chained spell Magic Weapon Greater, a Thri-Kreen Wiz/Sor or Clr, quad wield +1 Defending weapons, and AC out the ass?

You missed armor spikes, arms of the naga (don't give extra attacks but you just need to wield), mouthpick, gauntlets, boot blades, elbow blades, buckler axes, Girallon's blessing and knee blades.

DarkSonic1337
2014-09-14, 01:36 AM

Edit:

I have seen that list, very good if you want to do this type of thing with ability scores.

Get a metamagic rod of chaining spell, lesser (14,000gp magic item compendium). So it's just a 3rd level slot.

Stick a close fighting blade on each of your weapons in addition to what the above guy said too.

And a Necklace of Natural attacks for good measure.

Enjoy a ridiculously high AC?

Desthro
2014-09-14, 08:50 AM
Technically anything that fits the defending bill is going to go that way. In the MIC Quickness is typed as an enhancement bonus btw =(

Earthbound (Eb 266): grants an unnamed attack bonus to the wielder as long as you and the opponent are on the ground.

Vexing (DR339 93): MIGHT fit the bill, you can reduce the enh. bonus on your weapon much like defending and make a touch attack to sink the enemies combat-appropriate stats by the same amount. (hexblade only though)

Speed (DMG 225): Might be stackable in terms that each weapon you can attack with that has speed, with a full-round action will get an extra full BaB attack. Not bad.

These are just the things i perused from my ancient copies of the lost Crystal Keep Indexes.

Eager (MIC 34): Gives a +2 untyped bonus to initiative checks and you get +2 points of damage during the surprise round....

Vortenger
2014-09-14, 07:25 PM
There's a host of magic items that grant some of these. I'm at work right now, but off the top of my head there's the Circlet of Persuasion for +3 to cha checks and its big brother the Admiral's Bicorne (Stormwrack) for +5 unnamed to cha checks. The Brawler's Gauntlets (or similar name, I forget. MIC) gives +2 unnamed to Str skills and checks. Defending has been mentioned but there's a saving throw equivalent that is similarly untyped (Spellstrike? MIC).

There are also several items that grant circumstance boni which stack with each other (unless they're from multiple masterwork tools), and all of those can lead to some wonderfully high numbers. The special clothing materials from Eberron are a good example.

joseccb's Complete Shopping List (Hosted here (http://dictummortuum.blogspot.com/2011/12/complete-shopping-list.html) by Dictum Mortuum) has a phenomenal list to reference for starters. You will have to reference the item to see what bonus type it contains, though.

Chronos
2014-09-14, 07:27 PM
Do any of these stack, though? Unnamed bonuses don't stack if they're from the same source.

Vortenger
2014-09-14, 07:39 PM
The only thing that would qualify as same source listed above would be defending. That little gem contains a caveat that says

Defending

A defending weapon allows the wielder to transfer some or all of the sword’s enhancement bonus to his AC as a bonus that stacks with all others. As a free action, the wielder chooses how to allocate the weapon’s enhancement bonus at the start of his turn before using the weapon, and the effect to AC lasts until his next turn.

So yes. The rest are separate enhancements and thus not same source.

Curmudgeon
2014-09-14, 09:14 PM
So yes. The rest are separate enhancements and thus not same source.
But only if they are swords and not other types of weapons.