PDA

View Full Version : Does the Rangers Volley combo with Horde Breaker?

MadBear
2014-09-14, 01:39 AM
So reading through making a ranger, and I had a question regarding making an archer.

Horde Breaker

Once on each of your turns when you
make a weapon attack, you can make another attack
with the same weapon against a different creature that
is within 5 feet of the original target and within range
of your weapon.

Volley

You can use your action to make a ranged
attack against any number of creatures within 10 feet
of a point you can see within your weapon’s range. You
must have ammunition for each target, as normal, and
you make a separate attack roll for each target.

Now, is a ranged attack with a bow also a "weapon attack". This would let you fry a large area (up to 12 people), and then hit another person again. This isn't gaming the system right? (genuinely curious if this is purposeful, or if I'm reading more into it then I should).

Totema
2014-09-14, 01:45 AM
Yep, pretty sure they're meant to work together. Or at least not meant to not work together, if that makes any sense.

By the way, we have a sticky thread for asking about rules clarifications over here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?366424-Simple-Q-amp-A-D-amp-D-5-(by-RAW)-I). And also note that this edition really encourages RAI and DM rulings, so YMMV from table to table.

MadBear
2014-09-14, 01:51 AM
Yep, pretty sure they're meant to work together. Or at least not meant to not work together, if that makes any sense.

By the way, we have a sticky thread for asking about rules clarifications over here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?366424-Simple-Q-amp-A-D-amp-D-5-(by-RAW)-I). And also note that this edition really encourages RAI and DM rulings, so YMMV from table to table.

thx :).

Just wanted to make sure that I'm not being a bit powergamey in expecting it to work (I've had a bad habit of that with patherfinder that I'm trying to break). I figured with the ranger being called low compared to everyone else, though, that I'd be fine.

MadBear
2014-09-14, 02:05 AM
One combo I see for a potentially devestating turn would be to:

Bonus Action: Cast Lightning arrow
Action: Volley (hit all foes in a 10 ft radius), I don't think this will trigger the lightning arrow, but it might
Horde Breaker: make an additional weapon attack using horde breaker which would definitely trigger the lightning arrow.

Damage wise:

Each creature would be attacked for 1d8+5, and then one target would be targeted for 4d8, and finally all would have to save vs another 2d8.

this equals 36 damage to one guy, and 17 to the surrounding guys.

Seems like a decent enough trick.

edit: also would sharpshooter work with volley? (seems to be pushing it, but it would make it a very deadly group damage ability, that might even outpace caster AOE).