View Full Version : Problems at SDMB?

dtilque
2014-09-14, 05:59 AM
Besides being a member of this forum, I'm also a member of the Straight Dope Message Board. That is until Friday evening when I found that my IP was banned over there.

I'm not sure why this happened, but I'm certain it's not because I did something wrong on that board. There are several things that could have happened but I'm mostly interested in finding out if anyone else has had this happen to them. Or to put it more generally, is this something specific to me or is that board in general hosed?

And before you ask, yes I have emailed the administrators there, but have not gotten a reply yet. That may be because of the weekend or there may be other reasons.

Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

Asta Kask
2014-09-14, 11:03 AM
Am I the only one who thought this was the dyslectic wing of a BDSM club?

Razade
2014-09-14, 04:00 PM

I thought he was talking about Saturday Morning Breakfast Cartoon.

Zrak
2014-09-14, 05:40 PM
Considering there is a stickied topic about what to do in the event of erroneous IP ban, I would imagine that it isn't just you but also is not a specific "problem" which arose recently but rather the constant consequence of the board's zealous attempts to ban spambots.

dtilque
2014-09-15, 03:36 AM
Considering there is a stickied topic about what to do in the event of erroneous IP ban, I would imagine that it isn't just you but also is not a specific "problem" which arose recently but rather the constant consequence of the board's zealous attempts to ban spambots.

Oh right, I'd forgotten about that post. But fat lot of good it does me now, because, ya know, IP ban.

Gnomvid
2014-09-15, 04:21 AM
Well depending on your ISP's scavenging settings just stay a few days, a week, 2 weeks disconnected and when you connect again you'll have a new IP address, unless the forum banned all IP Addresses in a range which is unlikely.

Jaycemonde
2014-09-15, 11:58 AM
Keeping firmly in mind that I know absolutely nothing about SDMB, I would've assumed upon being banned from a site with Straight Dopes in the name that I wasn't Straight Dope enough. Are you liable to be labeled as something you aren't (or are but that should honestly be irrelevant in every way) by a moderator and banned for it?

Safewords must be a pain in the ass there.

dtilque
2014-09-16, 05:45 PM
Keeping firmly in mind that I know absolutely nothing about SDMB, I would've assumed upon being banned from a site with Straight Dopes in the name that I wasn't Straight Dope enough.

You mean like I was being Brilliantly Gay? :smallsmile:

The SDMB is a message board associated with a newspaper answer column called The Straight Dope. The message board has been around for something like 15 years and before that was on AOL for a while. It has a very high volume, much higher than any other board I've seen. I've been a member for 14 years.

I've just now gotten access to it again. It seems an entire range of IP addresses was banned by the moderators and mine was within that. As someone suggested above, this was a matter of overkill in their enthusiasm to get rid of spammers. Since the address range is assigned to Frontier Communications, I'm sure I wasn't the only one affected.

Killer Angel
2014-09-20, 02:28 AM
Besides being a member of this forum, I'm also a member of the Straight Dope Message Board. That is until Friday evening when I found that my IP was banned over there.

I'm not sure why this happened, but I'm certain it's not because I did something wrong on that board. There are several things that could have happened but I'm mostly interested in finding out if anyone else has had this happen to them. Or to put it more generally, is this something specific to me or is that board in general hosed?

And before you ask, yes I have emailed the administrators there, but have not gotten a reply yet. That may be because of the weekend or there may be other reasons.

Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

Didn't they gave you a reason? A post, addressing the reason why you was banned?
I'm telling this because it could have been a mistake.