PDA

View Full Version : Something I was wondering about...

Sornas
2007-03-10, 11:58 PM
I have a quick Tome of Battle question, if you all wouldn't mind. ^^

Just to make sure I have this right, a non-martial adept's initiator level is 1/2 of their character level, for determining which manuvers they can learn, correct?

If that is the case, then does this only apply to the martial study feat? Or would a Fighter 10/Warblade 1 be initiator level 6 for his first manuver choices? It strikes me as kind of odd if that is the case...

The reason I ask is because of the PrCs in the ToB that don't state that you continue to gain initiator levels. (I'm thinking about making a Bloodstorm Blade NPC for a game I may run soon.) If he was Warblade 5/BB 10, then took another level in Warblade, would be IL be 6, or 11?

Magnus_Samma
2007-03-11, 12:06 AM
would a Fighter 10/Warblade 1 be initiator level 6 for his first manuver choices?

That's how I ruled it. A 5th level barbarian in my game wanted to multiclass as a Warblade, so I let him count as a 3rd level initiator. It seems pretty obvious to me that that's the way the rules work, even if it doesn't make a lot of sense in all cases.

Zincorium
2007-03-11, 12:21 AM
I have a quick Tome of Battle question, if you all wouldn't mind. ^^

Just to make sure I have this right, a non-martial adept's initiator level is 1/2 of their character level, for determining which manuvers they can learn, correct?

If that is the case, then does this only apply to the martial study feat? Or would a Fighter 10/Warblade 1 be initiator level 6 for his first manuver choices? It strikes me as kind of odd if that is the case...

The reason I ask is because of the PrCs in the ToB that don't state that you continue to gain initiator levels. (I'm thinking about making a Bloodstorm Blade NPC for a game I may run soon.) If he was Warblade 5/BB 10, then took another level in Warblade, would be IL be 6, or 11?

Read some of the following paragraphs. Prestige classes which say what they get, which is usually in the 'maneuvers' ability in the class, obviously get that. All others fall into the 'other' category.

So, your example would have an initiator level of 10, five for warblade, five for one half of your bloodstorm blade. Not sure where that extra one you're thinking of comes in.

And as for multiclass characters, that's fully covered. Even different initiator classes, such as a warblade/swordsage, only get half the level of their other side for the purposes of initiator level. They even give the reason why that's the case, namely game balance.

Sornas
2007-03-11, 08:51 AM
The extra one came from the 6th level of Warblade has was about to take. ^^

Thanks, I just wasn't quite sure if it was only for the purposes of martial study, or if it worked for class granted manuvers too. ^_^