PDA

View Full Version : DM Help So I'm making Magic Weapons...

BRKNdevil
2014-09-14, 08:00 AM
That i will introduce to the players at around level 3 and 4 and i want some more input. They are all based around attunement and i was wondering if they are too powerful for what they do or to weak for the fact that they cost an attunement slot. I was also slowly going to let them grow in power as the characters in question level up. The weapons are for a rogue, a barbarian, and a monk

Vulkoor’s Stinger
Artifact Rapier
2d4/P Light, Finesse
At First glance it’s a well-made rapier with a plain guard of drow make that is covered in something that dulls the color and shine of the blade. Even the Magic Aura seems faint when looked at with magic
A holy relic to some evil elves, supposedly made from a part of Vulkoor and gains powers by his blessings. Expect adherents to do ANYTHING for it
Grows in power with the User’s Character Level
Attuned
You gain Dueling, Defense, Two-Weapon Fighting
D u e l in g
When you are wielding a melee w eapon in one hand and
no other w eapons, you gain a +2 bonus to damage rolls
with that weapon.
T w o -W e a p o n F ig h t in g
When you engage in two-weapon fighting, you can add
your ability modifier to the damage o f the second attack.
All the following can be done in any combination as a bonus action:
By sacrificing one of regenerating hit dice you can apply a poison made of shadow to the blade for 10 minutes. The poison’s DC grows by 1 with each consecutive strike that the target succeeds till failure.
On Hit, the target of the attack rolls a CON saves with a DC of 10+Prof. Bonus. On a Failed save the target gains poisoned status
By sacrificing one of regenerating hit dice you can add 1d6/per hit dice sacrificed Sneak Attack Dice to your attack as a rogue for up to 10 minutes.

Arbiter
Artifact Axe
A wicked looking axe made of odd looking materials. If you listen closely you think you hear whispers
An Axe made of demons and devils. Made as a judger of evil, the materials of the axe corrupt the users. When it bathes in blood of powerful beings, it gains properties.
3d4 Heavy, Two-Handed, Thrown (10/30)
Grows in power with the user
Requires Attunement
Grants Great Weapon Fighting
G r e a t W e a p o n F ig h t in g
When you roll a 1 or 2 on a damage die for an attack you
make with a melee w eapon that you are wielding with
two hands, you can reroll the die and must use the new
roll, even if the new roll is a 1 or a 2. The weapon must
have the two-handed or versatile property for you to gain
this benefit.

Sacrifice a Regenerative Hit Dice to start rage if you already have the ability to.
Sacrifice a Regenerative Hit Dice to Return this axe to the attuned user’s hands. If the user’s hands are currently full, then it drops to the user’s feet.

Ifrit
A detailed set of gauntlets with the imagery of a burning demon with cloth that looks of flame.
When you put it on the gauntlet’s cloth turns to flames but you can will the flames to dissipate.
Made from an Evil Efreeti that was tricked into a process able form, its power is released depending on the user of the weapon. A bloodthirsty weapon that fuels its fires on the souls of the dying, it has odd side effects for its use.
Magic Item
Attuned
It improves Martial Arts Damage by advancing the die damage by one die size as according to the Monk Advancement chart on page 77 of the PHB until level 11 Monk. At level 11 Monk, the Weapon Damage Dice is 2d4 and at level 17 Monk, its 3d4

If the attuned user scores a critical hit or performs the killing blow, they may choose to sacrifice 1 regenerative hit dice to regenerate half their Ki Pool in Ki Points rounded down.
The user can use Produce Flame Cantrip using Wisdom for its save and attack bonus
The user can use Fire Bolt Cantrip using Wisdom for its save and attack bonus

BRKNdevil
2014-09-14, 08:01 AM
Reserved for additional Items that I might make

EvilAnagram
2014-09-14, 08:29 AM
On the whole, I like them.

A few points:

Giving them fighting styles is pretty OP, but giving the rogue three features from other classes for picking up a sword is ridiculous.
I personally don't like only using d4s for damage, but if they do at your table that's fine. I think a d12 feels more like a greataxe, but if you want to curve the damage away from 1 you can use the 4e Brutal quality. Basically, if you roll a one or 2, reroll until it's higher.
"Sacrifice a Regenerative Hit Dice to start rage if you already have the ability to." Do you mean "don't already have the ability to? Also, it would be "Hit Die," but no one really cares.

I like the special qualities outside of the Fighting Styles. The Monk weapon is particularly cool.

rlc
2014-09-14, 08:53 AM
Yeah, probably too strong for a level 4 party, especially the one that gives multiple fighting styles. Maybe at level 7 or so it could give a fighting style (but never more than one of them). Since you're making it from scratch, just let it suit the character.
Other than that, well done.

BigONotation
2014-09-14, 11:09 AM
Too many feats on the first one. Last one is too powerful an effect unless given to a vey underoptimized mo k.

rlc
2014-09-14, 11:28 AM
actually, i was thinking that the gauntlets might be a little strong before, too, but i didn't say anything because i admit that i don't really know much about balancing damage. i was thinking that one die size would mean d4 -> d6, instead of adding a die. that would probably balance it more, though i think it should be fine with a free cantrip at level 11 and free ki regeneration at level 17.

EvilAnagram
2014-09-14, 12:21 PM
actually, i was thinking that the gauntlets might be a little strong before, too, but i didn't say anything because i admit that i don't really know much about balancing damage. i was thinking that one die size would mean d4 -> d6, instead of adding a die. that would probably balance it more, though i think it should be fine with a free cantrip at level 11 and free ki regeneration at level 17.

It actually does mean d4 -> d6 at first, but then it goes to d6 -> 2d4, and then d8/d10 -> 3d4. It's not bad, but using extra dice instead of a single incrementally increasing die will mean that damage will trend towards the middle rather than extremes.

rlc
2014-09-14, 12:34 PM
okay, cool, so i did read it right then.

BRKNdevil
2014-09-14, 12:49 PM
]I personally don't like only using d4s for damage, but if they do at your table that's fine. I think a d12 feels more like a greataxe, but if you want to curve the damage away from 1 you can use the 4e Brutal quality. Basically, if you roll a one or 2, reroll until it's higher.
Thats why i threw in greater weapon fighting from the fighter fighting styles since it is only one reroll for each die

Giving them fighting styles is pretty OP, but giving the rogue three features from other classes for picking up a sword is ridiculous.
I figured the two fighting styles since they can't be used at the same time and the two sacrifice abilities just because it was fluffy. but just reducing it to the poison ability is fine with me if you guys think its more balanced in comparison to the rest.

"Sacrifice a Regenerative Hit Dice to start rage if you already have the ability to." Do you mean "don't already have the ability to? Also, it would be "Hit Die," but no one really cares.
such as the barbarian's ability to rage and i'm an engineering major. so sue me if my english classes don't work

otherwise thx and further input on why two styles that can't be used at the same time is bad would be nice

BRKNdevil
2014-09-14, 12:53 PM
It actually does mean d4 -> d6 at first, but then it goes to d6 -> 2d4, and then d8/d10 -> 3d4. It'd not bad, but using extra dice instead of a single incrementally increasing die will mean that damage will trend towards the middle rather than extremes.

I was going for a improved natural attack (unarmed strike) feel from 3.5 and since it had to be attuned i was going more with magic staff thus the cantrips and because it was fluffy and took care of the ranged issues

BRKNdevil
2014-09-14, 12:58 PM
Also i forgot to add that these are not +1 weapons yet. i was going to wait till they hit level 5 when the monk would normally get magicked fists and that i'm not the type of dm who if they do decide to rest that they have to be wary of safety and such and if they don't would just let it past. I figured since they have to sacrifice dice that would be used to heal that it would have to be of decent reason and that the attunement would be worth it until they get their +1 to hit by adding the fighting styles

Beige
2014-09-14, 01:54 PM
the artifact axe is nasty - rerolling s1s/2s combined with using 4d4s means your minimum damage is 75%

EvilAnagram
2014-09-14, 02:54 PM
Fighting styles are features that require some commitment to attain and can create versatile, powerful builds that can compete with full caster's in damage output. Some if them give consistent bonuses that can outperform die increases and rerolls. The trade off is that if you want these, you have to dedicate some levels to classes that have them. You're offering them for free, and with the rogue, you're offering extra options so he isn't even restricted by combat style.