PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Libris Mortis Undead

MCJennings
2014-09-14, 08:50 AM
Ok, so my character I'm making is a lesser aasimar half vampire bard who worships evening glory. (Optimized for sexyness)

Libris says "...love may go on indefinitely, if the body’s remains are properly preserved. The deity of love at any price, Evening Glory appears as an exquisitely preserved woman..."
What exactly does that mean? What kind of undead would they come back as? Mindless zombie wouldn't really make sense... And is this always the case?

Then also, is there any way for me, as a half vampire, to turn anyone else vampiric in any way?

Blackhawk748
2014-09-14, 09:47 AM
Well ghoul or Wight works, as neither of them need to be fugly, or zombie does work just cast gentle repose then cast Awaken Undead after you animate it. Also necropolitan.

as to making a vampire im not sure how you could do that, sorry.

Keld Denar
2014-09-14, 09:53 AM
Most "Spawn" effects happen off of Energy Drain. Any person slain by Energy Drain comes back as the undead who slayed them, or a Wight if they were not slain by an undead.

Vampires get Energy Drain.

I'm pretty sure there is a HD limit or something, though. Only 4+ HD characters come back as Vampires. Lesser creatures come back as Vampire Spawn.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-09-14, 09:54 AM
Ok, so my character I'm making is a lesser aasimar half vampire bard who worships evening glory. (Optimized for sexyness)

Libris says "...love may go on indefinitely, if the body’s remains are properly preserved. The deity of love at any price, Evening Glory appears as an exquisitely preserved woman..."
What exactly does that mean? What kind of undead would they come back as? Mindless zombie wouldn't really make sense... And is this always the case?

Then also, is there any way for me, as a half vampire, to turn anyone else vampiric in any way?

"Evening Glory teaches that love need not ever die. Instead,
love may go on indefinitely, if the body’s remains are properly
preserved. The deity of love at any price, Evening Glory
appears as an exquisitely preserved woman with..."

What does it mean, you ask?

"...love need not ever die. Instead, love may go on indefinitely, if the body’s remains are properly preserved." This is a reference to preserving the corpse of your lover so that you can maintain a... relationship... after their death. They're not undead, they're just a dead body. She's the deity of love-at-any-price, worshiped by those who will continue their acts of 'love' even after their lover is dead. I wouldn't exactly call this love.

A Half-Vampire has no create spawn ability, nor does it have an energy drain attack (which causes someone to come back as a Wight). It would be more fitting to use Gentle Repose (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/gentleRepose.htm), possibly in the form of an oil or unguent (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/potionsAndOils.htm), or possibly Sequester (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/sequester.htm) so your 'relationship' isn't discovered, and you can make use of (Permanent) See Invisibility.

Fax Celestis
2014-09-14, 10:24 AM
You could always necropolitanize your love.

Inevitability
2014-09-14, 02:44 PM
I once was in a game with a Changeling Gravetouched Ghoul Dread Necromancer. Walked around all day as a pretty young lady.

Daishain
2014-09-14, 03:09 PM
You could always necropolitanize your love.

The fluff for that particular ceremony involved the subject being very much alive during it (and is effectively tortured to death as part of it)

So it wouldn't work on a dead lover. Unless you had the means to bring them back to life, and then tortured them to undeath...

Why do I get the queasy feeling that that particular scene has been done?

Also, unless the character has both a level and 1000 xp available to lose, the ceremony doesn't work at all.

MCJennings
2014-09-14, 04:35 PM
Wights huh? Are you SURE they don't have to be ugly? I'll see if my DM will allow me to houserule a method of turning others. It would be irrelevant to combat if I let them go afterwards to love their significant other, so I think he might. Especially since I put so much work into the character development rather than combat this time, I think he'll be open to rewarding me some.

So no one knows the process the goddess would take to bring someone once dead to undeath? I read it as it's her doing, and what her intentions are... But nothing as to what they become or what exactly she does. I wouldn't think a diety of undeath to be limited in what kinds of undead they can create as the usual character would be?
She herself is undead, no? Anyone know what she would be most similar to? From what I understand, undead often propagate of their own kinds and she herself is supposed to be very attractive (if you're into that sorta thing?)

...This is a reference to preserving the corpse of your lover so that you can maintain a... relationship... after their death. They're not undead, they're just a dead body. She's the deity of love-at-any-price, worshiped by those who will continue their acts of 'love' even after their lover is dead. I wouldn't exactly call this love.

It says she's a goddess of undeath though? Not to say something like that would be out of the question in the world of D&D, but that's not at all the impression I got. It does later in that same section say-
"Those whose love transcends life should seek life everlasting through the grace of undeath. The perfect preservation may freeze love forever. While the resurrection of tragically slain lovers may do for some, nothing can stay old age’s imperious final call—nothing but the embrace of undeath.
Portfolio: Love, beauty, immortality through undeath."

Lord Vukodlak
2014-09-14, 06:56 PM
To answer what does "exquisitely preserved woman" mean

The body is perfectly preserved there is no sign of decay or rot. However there also is no signs of life so the body is pale

Urpriest
2014-09-14, 07:04 PM
In general, Evening Glory supports all forms of preserving your lovers as undead: vampirism, mummification, etc. Some will of course be prettier than others, but who can question love? :smalltongue:

In other words, no, there isn't a special "undead for sex" template that worshipers of Evening Glory have access to. You just have to use the normal undead creation techniques and a ton of Gentle Repose.

KillianHawkeye
2014-09-15, 08:15 AM
So no one knows the process the goddess would take to bring someone once dead to undeath? I read it as it's her doing, and what her intentions are... But nothing as to what they become or what exactly she does.

About this... most of the time, deities in D&D don't take such an active role on the material plane. For the most part, deities affect the world through their intermediaries (i.e., clerics and worshipers). This is not something she does herself, it is what her church teaches and encourages. How you go about it, specifically, is an exercise left up to the reader.

MCJennings
2014-09-15, 02:00 PM
Thanks for all the replies to my random questions!

My DM got back to me saying that I would be given a prayer that I can have to ask her to raise an undead herself.

I know this one might be a stretch, but does anyone think they could come up with a poem for me to sing to evening glory? Cheesyness well accepted lol

I'll obviously work on one too, but I know my mind isn't the most geared for that sort of thing lol

Blackhawk748
2014-09-15, 06:57 PM
do a REALLY bad re-hash of "Roses are Red, Violets are Blue" :smalltongue: sadly im pretty lousy as a poet myself.

KillianHawkeye
2014-09-15, 07:12 PM
do a REALLY bad re-hash of "Roses are Red, Violets are Blue" :smalltongue: sadly im pretty lousy as a poet myself.

Ahem...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Roses are red,
violets are blue,
I'm sorry you're dead
but someone still loves you!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

:smallwink:

Lanson
2014-09-15, 07:26 PM

Roses are red
Violets are blue
Death is for chumps
And hey, I'm undead too

MCJennings
2014-09-15, 09:18 PM
ahem...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

roses are red,
violets are blue,
i'm sorry you're dead
but someone still loves you!