PDA

View Full Version : Optional spell components animate dead and raise dead.

Duke Malagigi
2007-03-11, 12:42 AM
Animate dead- version 1: (From 1st edition) An ounce to a pint of blood, one cubic inch of flesh (no fat and no blood vessels), a table spoon of bone power and a one inch long shard of bone.

Animate dead- version 2: (Zombies only) A bright blue or green clear chemical directly injected into the veins of a fresh and intact corpse.

Raise dead- version 1: (Certain good aligned love gods only) A mixture of holy water and tears from a loved one of the deceased.

Raise dead- version 2: (For druids) Plant juices mixed with water from a sacred spring poured in to a stone tomb. The dead body must have a wreath of holly or mistletoe placed over his or her shoulders then be lowered into the tomb its self.

Anyone who wants to post their own material components is free to do so as long as they are listed in numeric order. Thank you and have a good night.

Duke Malagigi
2007-03-12, 12:10 AM
If any one else wants to post in this thread, feel free to do so.

jlousivy
2007-03-12, 03:40 AM
--are you asking for our opinions on the spell components? or is this so we can just post our own spell components? assuming it's the first one..

what is the cost of the zombie juice? /where can you get it?
raise dead 1--- this makes the cost of death much much lower which depending on the game can be a good or bad thing.

Duke Malagigi
2007-03-12, 05:43 PM
--are you asking for our opinions on the spell components? or is this so we can just post our own spell components? assuming it's the first one..

I'm looking for both.

what is the cost of the zombie juice? /where can you get it?

It should be relatively inexpensive (15-25 gold pieces) and easy to make (Craft DC 20) and highly deadly (Fortitude Save DC 27, failure causes death, success causes 2d4 Constitution damage). A necromancer can theoretically kill him or herself trying to animate a zombie with this method. Maybe an attack roll against an AC of 16 to 20 to hit a vein. An AC of 10 to hit the corpse and not your self.

raise dead 1--- this makes the cost of death much much lower which depending on the game can be a good or bad thing.

Simple, if no one is saddened by your death, you stay dead. Got it, good. Also make it three ounces of tears mixed with three ounces of holy water for good measure.

jlousivy
2007-03-12, 05:45 PM
the zombie juice being highly deadly.... with those stats... screw normal weapons i'ma make a custom crossbow that will shoot those! --- which really makes me want to go make an artifact that does the like...

Duke Malagigi
2007-03-12, 06:02 PM
the zombie juice being highly deadly.... with those stats... screw normal weapons i'ma make a custom crossbow that will shoot those! --- which really makes me want to go make an artifact that does the like...

True, but it only lasts in the open air for about thirty seconds, then it becomes inert. So putting it on your weapons before use for longer periods of time then thirty seconds is extremely moronic. That and you could kill self with it very easily.

Triaxx
2007-03-12, 07:04 PM
Ranged weapons are easy enough. Arrows with glass vialed arrow heads. Glass beads for bullets. Throwing knives with glass vials in them. All of them break on impact.

You do know that flesh is actually muscle, right? That's what steak is.

Duke Malagigi
2007-03-12, 07:29 PM
Ranged weapons are easy enough. Arrows with glass vialed arrow heads. Glass beads for bullets. Throwing knives with glass vials in them. All of them break on impact.

How about syringes as thrown weapons? You'd have to aim for and puncture a blood veesel (at long range) and rig the syringe to inject the chemical.

You do know that flesh is actually muscle, right? That's what steak is.

Corrected.

Duke Malagigi
2007-03-12, 11:28 PM
On animate dead variant 2 I should mention that it's one dose per corpse, not one dose per casting.

Finally, I would appreciate it if you would post your variants of these spells too.

Duke Malagigi
2007-03-13, 11:13 PM
I'd be happy if any one else would like to help or comment.

Maxwell
2007-03-14, 07:57 PM
I've always liked undead minions. Maybe there should be components, that can let good clerics get in on the fun.

Animate Dead- Version 3: (only for Clerics creating Skeleton) Holy Water and a piece of the Temple it will defend, such as a brick
When cast on a dead follower of your god, you create a Holy Defender, a skeleton powered by positive energy

Kind of like the Deathless in Eberon but weaker and easier to make and control.

Duke Malagigi
2007-03-14, 11:48 PM
I've always liked undead minions. Maybe there should be components, that can let good clerics get in on the fun.

Animate Dead- Version 3: (only for Clerics creating Skeleton) Holy Water and a piece of the Temple it will defend, such as a brick
When cast on a dead follower of your god, you create a Holy Defender, a skeleton powered by positive energy

Kind of like the Deathless in Eberon but weaker and easier to make and control.

Use could also use animate dead variant number 1. Just use only your bone, flesh and blood for all of your castings.