PDA

View Full Version : Simple Polymorph fix

Closet_Skeleton
2007-03-11, 05:58 AM
How much would it help to simply add a material component to the Polymorph spells?

"You must have an organ from the creature you wish to transform into. Any individual creature's corpse can only provide one component for this spell."

Then you just have to control what monsters the PCs fight. Even if they defeat a powerful monster they'll only be able to transform into it once. If they want to buy organs to use as material components you can make them expensive or just say they aren't on the market.

If the party needs to turn into a particular monster to help them fight the BBEG then you can make a quest out of it.

Szatany
2007-03-11, 06:29 AM
I like that, very much. Perhaps change "Any individual creature's corpse can only provide one component for this spell." to You must have the creature's brain/heart. Still one on one but at least it makes sense.

I would extend that fix to Gate too.

paddyfool
2007-03-11, 06:30 AM
Two thumbs up.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-03-11, 06:38 AM
Perhaps change "Any individual creature's corpse can only provide one component for this spell." to You must have the creature's brain/heart. Still one on one but at least it makes sense.

I didn't want Ettins to be a two for one deal or to disallow aberrations without hearts.

I meant that there was some part of the monster which you could only extract one of but it was specific to the monster.

Szatany
2007-03-11, 07:02 AM
I didn't want Ettins to be a two for one deal or to disallow aberrations without hearts.

I meant that there was some part of the monster which you could only extract one of but it was specific to the monster.
Ok, then you can change the description to: heart, or if the creature doesn't have a heart the most important part of the body.

Single Shot Zombie
2007-03-11, 10:28 AM

Then what about hydras? Are they a twelve-for-one deal?

And this is one place where the Vorpal Tribble's Gut (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29539) spell could come in handy........

crazedloon
2007-03-11, 11:37 AM
I like it in the campaigns my group does you can only polymorph into things you have seen and or fought and killed (DMs descresion)

My only problem with this is what druid (protector of forests and the like) would carry around body parts :smalltongue:

However I do like the fix but does the body part need to be in good condition. There are spells in Book of Vile darkness that need body parts but most of the time they need to be well preserved.

Caduceus
2007-03-11, 01:06 PM
As the polymorphing ability of Druids (AKA Wild Shape) is a class ability rather than an actual spell, it doesn't require the component.

In the case of preserving the body part, that's what gentle repose is for.

Logos7
2007-03-11, 01:12 PM
I rather Like the Fix,

That said I don't know if i'm the only one, but for my druid's you need a cloak of the skin of whatever animal you want to turn into. ( Applying only to animal shapes )

Loos

Closet_Skeleton
2007-03-11, 01:37 PM
That said I don't know if i'm the only one, but for my druid's you need a cloak of the skin of whatever animal you want to turn into.

That works and has a nice mythological basis.

It's also one of the reasons why I didn't specify what organ you had to use, so people could be creative with references.