PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Consequences of Kingdom Rules and City Attributes on a setting.

JohnnyCancer
2014-09-14, 06:27 PM
If you were to take the city of Absalom (population 303,900) from the Golarion setting and break it down into districts as laid out in the Kingdom Building rules, you'd end up with over 33 districts (9000 people per district, by the rules in Ultimate Campaign). Any reasonable recreation combined with the (optional) +4 metropolis modifier to the city's attributes (Corruption, Crime, Productivity, Law, Lore and Society) would wind up with some pretty crazy modifiers. Playing around with just six districts I got a modifier of +67 to productivity (and I wasn't particularly trying to bumrush productivity), with another 28 or so districts I can imagine that number getting much higher. I bring up productivity specifically because it affects all the profession rolls in the city, so a level one commoner with one rank in a profession and skill focus in that profession can't help but make some serious money every week, even if they consistently rolled a 1 on the d20.

Were these rules tested with typical setting details? Who goes adventuring in a world where moving to a big city and getting a job as a minimally skilled laborer can make you comfortably rich? How do unskilled laborers with their one SP/day income survive? Do rulers with big cities look at these large incomes and just set the tax rate to match? Should these rules affect prices?