PDA

View Full Version : Hammerbammer Blacksmithing & Forge

Renegade Paladin
2007-03-11, 08:07 AM
Floor Layout: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v350/RenegadePaladin/STGOD%20Maps/Hammerbammer.png

This establishment belongs to Borin Hammerbammer, a Faerunian dwarf migrant and master blacksmith.

A sign over the door depicts an anvil with a crossed hammer and set of tongs over it, with the inscription "Hammerbammer Blacksmithing & Forge" engraved beneath in bold lettering.

The front display and sales area is separated from the workshop by a low wall, suitable for Borin to see over when he is working. The anvil is situated so that when he works at it, he can see the door. The shop contains a large, magically enhanced blast furnace, bellows, and a full range of blacksmithing implements of all varieties.

The shop makes iron and steel tools of all kinds, as well as occasional weapons. Borin can forge almost any item, weapon, or armor upon request as well as do custom work if what the customer wants is adequately described, and also has the tools to work with mithril and adamantine, though he does not keep supplies of those metals in the shop.

The dwarf's living quarters are located in a wing off to the side, on the opposite side of the building from the forge.

In addition to being a blacksmith's shop and residence, the place also serves as a safehouse for the Vara'Dome. A hidden trapdoor to the basement level is concealed in Borin's kitchen, leading to a spartan but functional hidden chamber with emergency supplies and rations to allow two human or human-equivalent creatures to live for five days if necessary. The space also includes a large vault.

Renegade Paladin
2007-03-11, 08:15 AM
Borin, Gaheris, and Aleena walked in.

"Nice," Gaheris remarked, looking around at the shop and currently cold forge.

"'Tis like home," Borin said with a half-smile. "Thank ye for helpin' me to get this, Gar," he said as he offered a hand to his boss.

Gaheris took it. "Think nothing of it," he said with a smile.

Aleena smiled. "It's wonderful," she said as she pulled out her holy symbol to idly hold it in her hand. "Tymora's blessing always be on your business," she continued with a grin. "Now, how about the... special arrangements?"

"Aye," said Borin. "Th' trapdoor should be right back here." He walked back into the forge area and turned into the wing where he would live, going to the rearmost room. "Yes," he said as he shifted a rug and depressed a pair of normal-looking nails. There was a click and the section of floor slid to the side.

"Yeah, that'll do nicely," said Gaheris with a smile. "Best close it up now; don't know when you may have customers."

The dwarf did so. "Well, I'd best open up," he said. "Thank ye both again."

"Think nothing of it," Aleena answered him with a smile as they walked back to the front of the shop. She and Gaheris left by the front door as Borin propped it open and then moved to open the glassless shutter windows. It was about to get very hot in here...

Renegade Paladin
2007-03-11, 06:36 PM
By late afternoon, Borin had forged several basic tools and household items, some of which had already sold to non-plot NPCs. He decided that he'd had enough of tools for now and rummaged around for an iron shaft suitable for forging a sword out of.

Raistlin1040
2007-03-11, 07:55 PM
Laif enters.

Renegade Paladin
2007-03-11, 08:13 PM
Borin looked up from his work at the anvil. "Good evenin' to ye," he said cheerily. "How can I be helpin' ye?"

Raistlin1040
2007-03-11, 08:28 PM
Laif takes out a sheet of paper and scribbles a drawing of a guitar. He shows it to the blacksmith.

Renegade Paladin
2007-03-11, 08:41 PM
Borin wiped the soot off his hands with a wet towel before taking the drawing.

"Ye want one o' these? I can make th' strings if'n ye want a steel-stringed one, but th' woodworkin' ain't somethin' I know how t' do very well. I can try to make ye an all-steel guitar, but I cannae speak fer how it'll sound."

Raistlin1040
2007-03-11, 08:44 PM
He draws a steel guitar and himself using a spell on it.

Renegade Paladin
2007-03-11, 08:46 PM
"Ah, I see," the dwarf said. "How soon do ye want it?"

Raistlin1040
2007-03-11, 08:49 PM
He writes in big letters
ASAP

Xerillum
2007-03-11, 08:53 PM
Xerillum places an order for a long adamantine auger, approximately 15 feet in diameter and 30 feet long.
He drops off a portable hole filled with adamantine ingots.

Renegade Paladin
2007-03-11, 08:58 PM
"Ach. 'Tis a complex job," he said to Laif. "If'n I concentrate on this all day tomorrow, I can have it fer ye by tomorrow afternoon."

He turned to Xerillum. "Gladly, sair, but such a complex machine'll take some time. It'll be done in a few days."

Raistlin1040
2007-03-11, 09:51 PM
Laif nods and leaves after paying.

Renegade Paladin
2007-03-11, 09:58 PM
Borin put away the half-finished sword and pulled out some sheet steel. This he heated, folded over, and began to pound into a guitar back, cutting away excess metal to get the proper shape.

The intricate work took him the better part of two hours, after which he extinguished the forge, closed up and locked the shop, and went to bed.

Renegade Paladin
2007-03-12, 12:18 PM
After eating a large breakfast, Borin fired up the forge again and got to work.

He began shaping the sides of the guitar, taking great care to get every curve just so.

Renegade Paladin
2007-03-12, 10:28 PM
It was late at night as Borin finished, pulling taut the final string, which had taken him over an hour to fashion to just the right thickness and flexibility. He gave it an experimental strum and got an out-of-tune discordant sound, at which he grimaced, but at least it seemed that it made sound at all. Strangely, the man who'd commissioned it hadn't been back all day.

Raistlin1040
2007-03-12, 10:30 PM
Laif returns for the guitar.

Renegade Paladin
2007-03-13, 01:43 AM
"Ach, there ye are," Borin said with a smile, extending the instrument. "I hope ye find this satisfactory."

Raistlin1040
2007-03-13, 05:32 AM
The man takes the instrument. He plays it and frowns. He casts a spell and plays a note. The note sounds absolutely perfect. He smiles and pays before leaving.

Renegade Paladin
2007-03-13, 05:36 AM
"Yer most welcome," Borin said to the man's back as he left the shop. He then shook his head, wondering why he had never said anything, but quickly wrote it off and went to go deposit the rest of the payment in the safe.

Amiria
2007-03-13, 05:37 PM
A messenger arrives from the Silverthorn arrives and waves an envelope. "Good evening, I have a message from Lady Amiria of Irvin for Lord Gaheris Trollbone. I was told that I can leave it here for him." He puts the message on the counter and leaves the building.

The message
Dear Lord Trollbone,

I have spoken with my colleague and he agreed to a business meeting with you at a place of of your choice in the Town. Just send a message to the Silverthorn where and when you want to meet him.

Sincerely, Amiria

Renegade Paladin
2007-03-13, 09:42 PM
Borin took the note. "Aye, I'll see this to him righ' away," he said without opening the envelope.

After dark, the dwarf closed up shop and donned his blackened leather armor for a trip to the headquarters safehouse.

Renegade Paladin
2007-03-14, 02:08 AM
Borin returned and locked the door behind him. After setting the various security systems once more, he retired to his chambers.

Amiria
2007-03-15, 03:21 AM
Two humanoids, lithe and roughly 5 feet arrive at the building and knock on the door. They wear black hooded cloaks that subtly twinkle with silver stars and threads.

Renegade Paladin
2007-03-15, 03:38 AM
The door was opened by a lithe, unarmored and unarmed man who towered more than a foot above the visitors.

"Ah. We've been expecting you," he said softly, stepping back out of the doorway to permit passage.

Inside the darkened blacksmith shop were three other figures: The dwarf proprietor, dressed in blackened leather and armed with weapons both overt and hidden lounged in a chair behind the counter, while a hooded and cloaked man with a longbow slung over his back leaned against the middle of the wall to the right, his hands hanging loose near his sides. Finally, another hooded figure stood from a chair sitting against the front of the separation wall between the storefront and the forge area, throwing back his hood as he did so.

"I take it one of you is the artisan that the good lady recommended to me," Gaheris said as the hood fell away, revealing his shaggy red hair and shadowed face in the dim glint of moonlight through the window. "Forgive me the presence of a few of my people; meetings like these often produce... unexpected results."

[I'm sorry if my posting is slow; I'm in the middle of a large download and my connection is lagging.]

Amiria
2007-03-15, 05:46 AM
The leading humanoid removes his hood and lo ... it is a male drow. He wears his white hair short and has a hooked nose. "Greetings, I understand your precautions, although I was told that drow are tolerated in the Town. I am Vhroom Del'Zistrinni."

Renegade Paladin
2007-03-15, 05:56 AM
"Gaheris Trollbane," the paladin answered, offering his hand. "Drow are accepted here, but I would have taken these same precautions were you human, dwarf, githyanki... Well actually, I would have had slightly different ones for a Gith, but that's neither here nor there," he said with a tight smile.

Amiria
2007-03-15, 06:06 AM
The drow takes the hand but decides to give it back to Gaheris after some seconds. "So, you want a two-way portal, right ? Do you have any ideas for limitations or keys already ?"

Renegade Paladin
2007-03-15, 06:15 AM
[Cute.]

The other men in the room started to relax a little.

Gaheris frowned. "I've put some thought into it. As tempting as a key is, it would require anyone wishing to use a portal to carry an object that could be used to identify them, or something so common that anyone could happen across the key. Is a pass-phrase possible?"

Amiria
2007-03-15, 06:25 AM
"Sure, there are many options for portals. Fore example even alignment. But also key objects or key words. You could also make it so that it only works at a particaular time, like only under the full moon. A specific spell cast at the portal can also be the key.", says Vhroom. "A key phrase ? Well, it is you choice, but I think it is one of the less secure options. I thought about using something like boiling water as a key object."

"Or boiling blood if it has to be more obscure.", adds the still hooded humanoid with a female voice.

Renegade Paladin
2007-03-15, 06:33 AM
"I think we'll pass on that one," responded Gaheris with an odd look as the unarmed man who still stood by the door started briefly before settling back down.

"Alignment would be nearly unworkable, given the composition of my organization. Chaotic neutrals are extremely rare, but apart from that, if it's not evil we've got it. This is an anti-criminal group, and people have many different reasons for opposing organized crime. Most of my people are not spellcasters, key objects can be stolen, and a time-based solution might end up with us unable to move when we need to. I don't plan on using this for emergencies, but you never know. Still, boiling water," he said, with a very brief but pointed glance at the other figure, "may be a workable solution. The forge here can boil water in a matter of moments, I daresay."

"Aye," Borin replied from his stool, keeping a careful eye on the still-hooded individual.

Renegade Paladin
2007-03-15, 08:00 AM
[ And that's it. I should have been in bed four hours ago; we'll have to continue this later.]

Amiria
2007-03-15, 06:05 PM
"Yes, hot water is easy to make at a forge. Many other hot substances too, it could also be a metal. But it should not be too complicated. The people on the other side should also have easy access to the components of the key."

"You could also make it herbal tea or coffee if you stay with hot water.", adds the hooded woman.

"Right, combining the pleasant with the useful. Or do you really rather want a key phrase ?"

Renegade Paladin
2007-03-16, 12:18 AM
"I believe that black tea should do nicely," Gaheris said. He reached up and lowered a pair of black goggles over his eyes. "I can show you one terminus of the portal now. The other will, of course, require travel to Baldur's Gate, which I'm sadly not prepared to provide immediately."

Amiria
2007-03-16, 03:32 AM
"Black tea then, ok. Hmm, I also don't have a method to travel to that place at hand. I'd need one of these attuned metal forks.", says Vhroom.

"Why the goggles ? Will there be bright light at the location of the portal ?", asks the woman.

Renegade Paladin
2007-03-16, 03:51 AM
"No, quite the opposite," Gaheris answered as he turned towards the rear of the shop. "These are goggles of night, and we're going into an unlit basement."

Amiria
2007-03-16, 03:54 AM
"Ah, good.", says the hooded woman.

Renegade Paladin
2007-03-16, 03:59 AM
Gaheris led the pair of drow into the living quarters wing of the shop, while Borin followed behind. The other two men moved into the work area, but didn't follow past the door to Borin's main living room.

Gaheris led on to a hallway running back along the outer wall, stopping at the last door, which he opened. As the guests and Borin came into the dwarf's bedroom, Gaheris knelt and shifted aside a rug on the floor.

[They can probably detect the trapdoor, being elves and all that.]

Amiria
2007-03-16, 04:04 AM
"Down there, huh ?", jabbers Vhroom. "How do you plan to remunerate me for my work ?"

Renegade Paladin
2007-03-16, 04:17 AM
"We should have more than adequate gold, if you prefer simple monetary payment. Lady Amiria told us that your colleagues might not appreciate you rendering service to the Tyrran church, so I would hazard a guess that payment through services in kind would be impractical for both of us." He depressed a pair of ordinary-looking rivets in the stonework floor, and the panel slipped downwards a few inches and slid back out of the way to reveal a ladder descending into the darkness. Everyone in the room could see the bottom should they care to look, due to darkvision. The ladder terminated at a floor about twelve feet below.

Renegade Paladin
2007-03-16, 04:45 AM
[ I've added a floor plan for the building to the original post. If you're still around and wanting to keep at it, let me know; otherwise, I'm going to go to sleep.]

[And that's about my limit; I'm going to bed. I suppose we'll continue tonight.]

Amiria
2007-03-16, 01:33 PM
The female drow swiftly clambers down the ladder.

"Careful Iliamue, there it might be scured by traps.", says Vhroom.

Renegade Paladin
2007-03-16, 01:39 PM
"It isn't," Gaheris responded. He didn't bother with the ladder; instead, he simply hopped over the hole and slowly floated downward.

Amiria
2007-03-16, 01:53 PM
Vhroom follows down, he also uses the ladder. "This is the place ? One of the walls ?"

Renegade Paladin
2007-03-16, 03:41 PM
The room was plain and walled in stone, outfitted with a pair of cots and shelves of supplies. A few weapons and tools stood in a rack next to the ladder, while a large locked vault occupied one of the corners.

"Yes, this is the place. There should do nicely," he answered, pointing at a bare section of wall directly across from the ladder. Borin remained at the top of the ladder, not descending into the basement.

Amiria
2007-03-17, 05:03 AM
Vhroom nods and and thinks for a moment. "Well, if I begin tomorrow it will take me a bit more than a month to make this two-way portal. I have two assistants for this task, my daughter Iliamue here, and ma other daughter Alystra. We'll works at both locations at the same time."

The female drow removes the hood of her cloak and nods to Gaheris. She certainly looks similar to her father and also wears her hair short. Gladly, her nose is less pronounced than Vhroom's, it is rather greek. "Travel between the two locations will be circuitously before the completion of the portals. But we can have interplanar communication to keep in touch."

Renegade Paladin
2007-03-17, 05:55 AM
"Very well," the knight commander answered, peering towards her through the black-and-white vision of his goggles. "I only hope we don't have to use this bolthole while you're working. Speaking of which, I have to ask that the existence of this room be kept in confidence. I wouldn't like it to be common knowledge that Borin is sheltering our people; we are likely to make powerful enemies very soon." He intentionally neglected to mention that Borin was far more than just a businessman who agreed to maintain a safehouse, but then the drow didn't need to know that.

Amiria
2007-03-17, 01:50 PM
"Sure, we can start tomorrow after I get the neccessary equipment. We also have to visit the other location soon.", says Vhroom. The two drow levitate up to Borin's bedroom.

Renegade Paladin
2007-03-18, 12:41 AM
Gaheris, unwilling to waste the power of his boots on so simple a task, climbed the ladder. Borin was still waiting at the top.

"Well, then. We'll have someone waiting for you when you come around tomorrow. I can send someone with you to Baldur's Gate to take you to the safehouse we intend to be the terminus of the portal whenever you're ready, if you have the means to reach Faerun, or as soon as I can arrange those means if you don't."

Renegade Paladin
2007-03-19, 04:04 AM
[ I'm assuming we're done, then?]

Amiria
2007-03-19, 12:39 PM
"Hmm, yes, we have to visit Baldur's Gate with the help of this someone. After we have seen that place once we can travel there on our own."

Renegade Paladin
2007-03-19, 12:52 PM
"Will a thorough description of the location do? I don't have anyone who can teleport or plane shift on his own."

Amiria
2007-03-19, 07:12 PM
"Hmm, I thought you said something like that. Well, I guess we'll just ask Amiria for transportation to Faerūn then. I heard that the people there don't react nicely to drow on the surface. But we'll go disguised. How do we find your contacts and the location in Faerūn ?"

Renegade Paladin
2007-03-19, 07:28 PM
"I can send someone with you who can vouch for you with my people. If necessary, we're very skilled at hiding people from prying eyes, but Baldur's Gate isn't likely to bring any official sanction against you."

Amiria
2007-03-20, 04:02 AM
"Ok, just send this someone to the Silverthorn then tomorrow at noon. We'll be ready then.", says Vhroom. The two drow walk back to the main room and leave the building.

Renegade Paladin
2007-03-20, 04:51 AM
Joros and Kern stood aside to let them leave.

"Well, we'll have to send someone with them to get them into the Baldur's Gate HQ," Gaheris observed to the ranger as he and Farin emerged from the living quarters, stepping around the mostly completed adamantine auger that had been ordered several days before. "Trouble is, we need everyone we can get here."

"I think Earin would be the best choice," Joros said. "We're approaching the time for action, and his particular style of information gathering is less useful now."

"You're probably right," answered Gaheris. "Besides, Erek knows him. It'll be the easiest way to ensure that he doesn't think it's some sort of ruse."

"Well, if'n tha's settled, I'd best get meself t' sleep," Borin interjected gruffly. "Gotta get up early to complete this blasted order. Still dunno wha' he wanted an adamantine auger for."

"No way to know. Mining, maybe?"

"I wish I knew. If'n he needs this fer a mine, he's either in a hurry or he's minin' the toughest rock I ere' seen."

Gaheris frowned. "Well maybe we should make it our business to find out what it's for," he said looking over the device. "Still, best you finish it. We'll go back to HQ now and let you get your rest."

Without further words, the paladin lord left the shop, followed by the monk and ranger. Borin locked the door behind them.

Renegade Paladin
2007-03-21, 11:32 AM
[Huh. I could have sworn I'd posted this already...]

The next day [two days later now, I suppose] Borin attached the last of the fittings to the auger, adjusting them slightly to ensure that the action would operate smoothly. He gave the enormous drill a couple of cranks to make sure it worked smoothly, and was satisfied. He then wrestled the large device to the back wall, out of his way, and dug out the half-completed sword he'd abandoned days ago for this commission.

Xerillum
2007-03-21, 05:11 PM
THe auger poofs out of existence.

Renegade Paladin
2007-03-22, 05:52 PM
"Wha' in th' Nine Hells o' Baator," Borin swore as a giveaway blue flash revealed a teleportation attempt foiled by the gorgon blood used in the mortar of the building. He went for the crossbow stashed behind the counter and started looking around.

[You will tell me how you did that, and tell me now. The security on this building wasn't designed by a five year old.]

Xerillum
2007-03-23, 03:38 PM
Xerillum walks in. Forgot to pay. He stuffs the auger in a portable hole.

Renegade Paladin
2007-03-23, 11:47 PM
"Too right," Borin said gruffly as he accepted the cash. "What're ye usin' it fer, anyhoo? Never seen an auger to tha' specification afore."

Xerillum
2007-03-24, 08:05 AM
Dwarven Tunnelers.

Renegade Paladin
2007-03-24, 05:12 PM
"What're ye tunnelin' through? I've done some minin' before, an' never seen anythin' that would need an adamantine drill," the other dwarf said conversationally.

Xerillum
2007-03-24, 08:35 PM
Eh, you've never seen forcestone. not even the best crafted steel auger can chop through that, it would break like aluminum foil.

Renegade Paladin
2007-03-25, 02:24 AM
"Yer right, I've ne'er seen forcestone, nor heard o' it," he answered. "Well, may it serve ye well in yer mining. I've got ta get back to work."

Amiria
2007-03-30, 12:38 PM
Vhroom also sets up a workshop in the cellar of the shop and works on the portal.

Renegade Paladin
2007-04-10, 05:21 PM
Borin continued his normal business, mostly making household items for NPCs since his player character customers seemed sorely lacking.

Renegade Paladin
2007-04-22, 09:02 PM
Kaer came into the blacksmithing shop half an hour before closing time and started browsing through the racks of cast-iron cookware, waiting for the other NPCs in the shop to leave. Borin took note of the street operative's presence, but did nothing out of the ordinary.

After the customers left, Kaer selected a frying pan and went up to the counter, and Borin came up to meet him. To all outward appearances through the window, they were haggling over price, with all the appropriate hand gestures to that occupation.

"We may have need of your more unique talents, Borin," the young man said to the dwarf as he put the piece of cookware down on the counter.

"Ach, and it's aboot time," Borin answered with a smile, as he did to every customer when quoting his price.

"There's a warehouse in the slums, up at the edge between the dockside warehouse district and the tenements," Kaer said as he waved a hand in front of him in a gesture of denial. "I saw some thugs beating on a kid in there. The kid managed to escape, and handily; teleported or something. But I'd like to know what goes on in there, and I'm sure the boss will too."

"Hmmmmmm," Borin answered as he shook his bearded head and jerked a thumb back towards the forge, as though talking about how much work he put into his pieces. "Tonight? Tha's rather short notice."

"Might not be tonight. Depends on whether I can get ahold of the boss for the go-ahead; the old man's been prowling the streets a lot himself lately," Kaer answered with a gesture towards the lean money-pouch at his belt and a look of exasperation, as though he were trying to coerce the blacksmith into a lower price through pity.

"Aight," Borin answered. "I'll have me gear ready just in case. Let me know as soon as ye're ready," he continued while throwing his arms wide as though frustrated with this whelp's inability to understand the value of his labor.

"Sounds good to me," Kaer said with a conciliatory gesture and reach for his money pouch. He tossed a few silver coins onto the counter as he and the dwarf shook hands, and picked up the frying pan. "I hope your skills haven't rusted in all this time bending over the anvil," he added mischievously.

"Ach! Get out o' here, ye whelp," the dwarf said with a laugh. "I kin still scale a buildin' and work among rafters better than ye ever could."

"I'm sure," Kaer said with a chuckle. "If you want to drop by HQ later, we'll be using this to cook some of the last of that bear that Kern shot."

"Sounds good, but I've got to get me some rest in case this goes down tonight," Borin responded. "I might come along anyway, though; hate to go in on an empty stomach," he said, a twinkle appearing in his crinkled eyes.

Kaer just chuckled as he left the shop, frying pan in hand.

Renegade Paladin
2007-05-19, 10:21 PM
Borin locked up the shop for the night and went to his room after setting the wards and security systems. He idly read some of a treatise on mithril alloys before going to sleep.

Amiria
2007-05-20, 10:10 AM
After many weeks of toil and cursing, Vhroom has completed his side of the portal. He travels to Toril and helps Iliamue to complete the other side. When all is done, he talks with Borin. "So, we finished our work with the portal connection. I believe that Sir Trollbane will be pleased."

Renegade Paladin
2007-05-20, 04:29 PM
"Aye, I believe he will," the dwarf answered, peering down into the hidden basement level. "I'll arrange yer payment a' once; got to go get him from one of the other safehouses," he continued. "If ye could wait here, I shouldna be long."

Of course, he would be gone longer than anticipated, because he didn't yet know that the Slums were currently a war zone.

Renegade Paladin
2007-05-22, 09:38 PM
[Since Magtok isn't getting his robotic rear into gear...]

Erek emerged through the portal a few minutes after its completion, followed by four more figures. Two were hooded and cloaked, one wore the simple grey tunic and skullcap of the Ilmatian monks, and the last was a red-bearded dwarf in plate mail, with a warhammer slung over his shoulder.

"Master Vhroom," Erek said to the waiting drow in a smooth voice. "I believe payment is due to you for your work," he continued as he set aside the pot of boiling tea and reached into his cloak. The hand emerged with a sack, which he opened to reveal platinum trade bars. "I believe you will find this to be roughly equivalent to the agreed-upon sum. It runs a little over, but your work is satisfactory enough to deserve it."

[And now to update my character post and determine colors for the new PCs...]

Renegade Paladin
2007-05-23, 12:25 PM
Gaheris and Borin trudged into the shop, looking a little worse for wear. It didn't take long to notice Erek and Kael leaning back on stools in the work area, huge grins on their faces.

"Erek!" Gaheris beamed as he saw his second in command. "Come through already, then? Good! There's a lot of work to do, as I feared."

"Yeah, Gar. I've already seen to Master Vhroom's payment," the bard said, nodding towards the drow.

Amiria
2007-05-23, 03:57 PM
"Ah, yes. The portals are completed. My work is done and I've been paid.", mumbles Vhroom.

Renegade Paladin
2007-05-23, 07:22 PM
"Excellent," Gaheris answered him with a warm smile. "Good fortune in your future endeavors, archmage." He nodded in respect. "Is there anything else you require of us?"

Amiria
2007-05-24, 01:23 AM
"No. My daughters are still in Baldur's Gate, they will probably come through the portal soon. I'll go now to Amiria's tower to return to to my home. Good bye."

Renegade Paladin
2007-05-24, 01:24 AM
"Very good. We'll tell your daughters where you've gone. Safe journey," Gaheris said by way of farewell.

Renegade Paladin
2007-05-26, 01:57 AM
Gaheris turned towards Erek as the other newcomers started to emerge from the back of the shop. "So, what do you want to..."

"Gror!" Borin interrupted Gaheris' query with a welcoming shout as his plate-armored cousin emerged last from the back. "I hadna idea ye was comin'! How've ye been?" The blacksmith was positively beaming beneath his beard.

"I've been aight," Gror answered with a smile of his own, slinging the warhammer he carried over his shoulder. "Still at it with this lot, eh?"

"Too right," Borin said, almost teasingly. They both knew why he followed Gaheris, but Gror liked to tease his younger cousin about it anyway... even though Gror did too, after a fashion, though not in the way Borin did.

Gaheris smiled as the dwarves continued to talk, lapsing into the dwarven tongue, not mindful of the humans and half-elves around them. "Anyway Erek, what do you want to do first? There's always the tavern for a place to start; I imagine you'll want to insinuate yourself into the local culture."

"Yeah," the Knight of Song answered, hefting his lute. "I'll go perform, get my ear to the ground and keep it there."

"Sounds like a plan," Gaheris responded. He turned to the rest. "We've got a lot of work to do. I'm going to go back to our primary safehouse now; I suggest you all come with. We'll figure out where to go once you're all accommodated."

Gror looked up. "I'll be stayin' here if'n it's all the same to ye," he said.

"That's fine," Gaheris responded with a smile. "You'll all get the full orientation tomorrow; for now it's time to go back and sleep."

Renegade Paladin
2007-05-29, 12:58 AM
Borin looked up from his conversation with Gror as Zian quietly opened the front door and stepped inside the blacksmith's shop. "Wha' is it?" Borin hissed his question under his breath as he saw the grim expression on the usually unflappable sorcerer's face.

"The police station. It's been taken over by soldiers, say they're from the Fourth Empire and that they've come to conquer this world. I have no idea what it means, but it can't be good."

"Ye're right, it can't," Gror interjected, reaching for his warhammer.

Borin put a hand on his cousin's arm. "Wait. We shouldna act afore we talk to Gaheris; we'll need backup for somethin' like this. Come on," he said.

Gror swiftly nodded and placed the haft of the hammer in its loop at his belt. The two dwarves and the half-elf left the shop in silence, headed for HQ in the slums.

Renegade Paladin
2007-07-05, 10:52 PM
Gaheris and Erek walked into the front door of the shop as Borin was dousing a newly forged sword into cooling water. Steam arose as the dwarf called out to the two newcomers.

"Ach, Gaheris! What brings ye here?"

"Need to use the portal," the paladin lord answered. "I want to get Amargein in here; his arcane skills are of vital importance."

Borin nodded. "Gror is in th' back," he said. "Jus' go on in. Ye know how t' get there," the dwarf continued as he seized a large stoneware pot and thrust it into the red-hot forge. After a few moments, he removed it with a set of tongs and handed them to Gaheris.

Gaheris simply nodded as he accepted the strange offering and went into the back rooms. He and Erek acknowledged Gror as they walked by the kitchen, where the dwarven paladin sat reading a book on Moradin's theology, and went back to the bedroom the two dwarves shared. Gaheris uncovered the trap door and he and Erek descended the ladder. Once down there, Gaheris thrust the still-boiling tea at the strange empty doorframe set into the far wall of the basement, which immediately started glowing with swirling arcane energies. Setting the tea aside, the two men stepped through the now-active portal and emerged in the Baldur's Gate safehouse.

Gror, meanwhile, got up and went to close and cover the bolthole's trapdoor behind the two before going back to his book.

Renegade Paladin
2007-10-10, 08:45 PM
Gorewing and Percival landed with a clatter of talons in the street outside the shop, with Amargein not far behind. The sorcerer dismissed his spell after landing, and his wings disappeared. Gaheris, Gror, and Erek dismounted, and Percival and Gorewing took back to the sky.

Borin met them inside, holding his crossbow and standing behind the counter. "What happened?"

Erek explained the situation to the dwarf, and he quickly led them back to the back room and sent them down the trapdoor. While Borin and Gror stayed behind, the other three went through to Faerun, where they knew they could find trustworthy priests and arcanists to help them.

Renegade Paladin
2007-10-11, 09:22 AM
It was morning by the time Gaheris, Erek, and Amargein returned through the portal, Aleena and the boy Gaheris had inadvertently killed in tow. Borin hung out his "Open for Business" sign in the front window and fired up his forge as the five left, the boy looking around uneasily and taking the first opportunity to leave and return home.