PDA

View Full Version : feather fall in 5E

Nessa Ellenesse
2014-09-14, 08:21 PM
I still play 3.5 I have heard somethings about 5th edition like streamlining actions such as eliminating free, swift and immediate actions. So with out immiate actions how does feather fall work? You see intimidate actions were introduced in 3.5 because someone did the math and realized if you had to wait for your turn and do a standard action for feather fall your charater would be splattered on the ground before feather fall could be cast.

The total disregard for the laws of unintended consequences is in my opinion one of the reasons why 4E was such an epic fail.

Sidmen
2014-09-14, 08:28 PM
In 5e movement is not an action, you can just move up to your speed on your turn. Some things reduce this speed (such as rising from prone).

You can perform one incidental task (like opening a door, picking something up, etc.) during your turn without using your action to do so. If you want to do more than one of these things, it takes your action to do so.

You have one action - to cast/attack/dash/etc.

You can perform one Bonus Action on your turn - things like the off-hand attack of a dual wielder, or casting some minor spells.

You can perform one Reaction per round (between the start of your turn and the start of your next turn). They are usually triggered events.

Feather Fall is a reaction that is triggered whenever you or someone near you falls.

Oscredwin
2014-09-14, 08:29 PM
I still play 3.5 I have heard somethings about 5th edition like streamlining actions such as eliminating free, swift and immediate actions. So with out immiate actions how does feather fall work? You see intimidate actions were introduced in 3.5 because someone did the math and realized if you had to wait for your turn and do a standard action for feather fall your charater would be splattered on the ground before feather fall could be cast.

The total disregard for the laws of unintended consequences is in my opinion one of the reasons why 4E was such an epic fail.

Feather fall was never a standard action to cast.

Bakakiba
2014-09-14, 08:45 PM
Feather fall was a free action in 4e, so not sure what the complaint about that is all about.

captpike
2014-09-14, 08:51 PM

please don't lie to everyone.

4e was not a failure by any possible meaning of that word

Sidmen
2014-09-14, 08:54 PM

4e was not a failure by any possible meaning of that wordIt failed to draw his attention. Thus it was a failure.

Sales and other peoples' experiences really are irrelevant in this kind of discussion. Everyone likes certain things in their games, and when a game fails to provide those things - it will always be a failure in their eyes.

captpike
2014-09-14, 08:57 PM
It failed to draw his attention. Thus it was a failure.

Sales and other peoples' experiences really are irrelevant in this kind of discussion. Everyone likes certain things in their games, and when a game fails to provide those things - it will always be a failure in their eyes.

he did not say he did not like it, he did not say that he thought it sucked. he said it was a failure, that means he was talking about much more then just how he saw the game.

Theodoxus
2014-09-14, 09:00 PM

It failed to capture a significant audience that played 3rd Ed and felt it went too far back into the wargaming roots of miniatures play by sacrificing roleplay on the altar of simulation. (aka, played like World of Warcraft.) It also felt completely different from how the rest of the editions functioned.

That it was a commercial success is not in debate, nor is the fact that it brought in new players (and new player types) - who help buoy the hobby and allowed us to playtest and mold 5th Ed... but 4th Ed was a failure to some of us; and that's one meaning of that word.

archaeo
2014-09-14, 09:02 PM
Another day, another thread. Another thread, another pointless edition war.

captpike
2014-09-14, 09:06 PM
It failed to capture a significant audience that played 3rd Ed and felt it went too far back into the wargaming roots of miniatures play by sacrificing roleplay on the altar of simulation. (aka, played like World of Warcraft.) It also felt completely different from how the rest of the editions functioned.

That it was a commercial success is not in debate, nor is the fact that it brought in new players (and new player types) - who help buoy the hobby and allowed us to playtest and mold 5th Ed... but 4th Ed was a failure to some of us; and that's one meaning of that word.

the bold is just your personal feelings and therefor not relevant to anyone but you. and I believe the first sentence also to be just your feeling or something you "know" but have no rational reason to think is true

when you say "X failed" that does not mean you think it failed or you did not like it. it means objectively X did not do its job. if I say "the space shuttle failed to launch" that means the shuttle tried and failed to launch. it does not mean it did in fact launch but I did not like the way it launched.

Shadow
2014-09-14, 09:47 PM
hyp_cr_t_c_l
I'd like to buy a vowel, please.

Sidmen
2014-09-14, 10:34 PM
he did not say he did not like it, he did not say that he thought it sucked. he said it was a failure, that means he was talking about much more then just how he saw the game.

You are on a public debate forum. From this point on, before every sentence you read you should add in "In my Opinion". Unless something is directly quoted, everything on these forums are just opinion.

Occasional Sage
2014-09-15, 01:28 AM
Feather fall was never a standard action to cast.

Nessa means that needing to cast Feather Fall RIGHT NOW BEFORE I HIT THE GROUND spawned the need for action types faster than Move and Standard; now that there are no Immediate/Swift/Blargle, and not having read any 5e rules, she wants to know what makes FF work without having to wait for your next Standard, which is likely after impact.

Nessa, think of FF as being cast as an AoO: falling is a specific trigger that allows you to cast FF in 5e, like casting a spell is a specific trigger that allows beatdown in 3.P. It's an imperfect answer, but doesn't require ANY system understanding.

captpike
2014-09-15, 01:38 AM
You are on a public debate forum. From this point on, before every sentence you read you should add in "In my Opinion". Unless something is directly quoted, everything on these forums are just opinion.

were that the case everything said would be worthless.

math? not real, just an opinion. to me 2+2=5, so to me your math is wrong.

the facts about how much an edition sold? just an option, to me it sucked so it sold less then to you

the concrete information showing that the fighter is all but worthless compared to the wizard? not real, everyone knows that your book does not say what mine does.

Sidmen
2014-09-15, 01:53 AM
were that the case everything said would be worthless.

math? not real, just an opinion. to me 2+2=5, so to me your math is wrong.

the facts about how much an edition sold? just an option, to me it sucked so it sold less then to you

the concrete information showing that the fighter is all but worthless compared to the wizard? not real, everyone knows that your book does not say what mine does.

Opinions are not worthless, they can be weighed based on many factors. Supporting evidence is a nice one - which is why you might actually want to bring forth the facts on which edition sold the most if that's central to your argument.

And the fighter vs. wizard debate is almost entirely opinion since "all but worthless" requires a judgment call.

I'm sorry it's so shocking for you to learn this, most people seem to pick up on it after less than a week using the internet. People can say anything at any time - unless they assume some mantle of authority (by, say, being someone important, having a reputation of respectability, or by backing up their posts with facts (like numbers)) it's all just opinion, speculation, and interpretation.

captpike
2014-09-15, 02:05 AM
Opinions are not worthless, they can be weighed based on many factors. Supporting evidence is a nice one - which is why you might actually want to bring forth the facts on which edition sold the most if that's central to your argument.

And the fighter vs. wizard debate is almost entirely opinion since "all but worthless" requires a judgment call.

I'm sorry it's so shocking for you to learn this, most people seem to pick up on it after less than a week using the internet. People can say anything at any time - unless they assume some mantle of authority (by, say, being someone important, having a reputation of respectability, or by backing up their posts with facts (like numbers)) it's all just opinion, speculation, and interpretation.

the facts have been layed out often, most recently by loki, if you have not looked at them then I see no reason why would do so now.

were the fighter and wizard close in power, able to do different things then yes you would be right. but the ONLY thing the fighter can do to help the party is damage and there are spells that can do more then the fighter can do for the entire fight.

that is a fact, a wizard who cast meteor swarm is better then a fighter in every way.

koscum
2014-09-15, 08:56 AM
hyp_cr_t_c_l
I'd like to buy a vowel, please.
Critical strike with Hypo? I hope he doesn't have SA :S

You can perform one Bonus Action on your turn - things like the off-hand attack of a dual wielder, or casting some minor spells.

You can perform one Reaction per round (between the start of your turn and the start of your next turn). They are usually triggered events.

Feather Fall is a reaction that is triggered whenever you or someone near you falls.
Also, keep in mind that Reactions are treated as Bonus Actions when it comes to action economy, so use quick spells and AoOs wisely.

Fwiffo86
2014-09-15, 09:28 AM
the facts have been layed out often, most recently by loki, if you have not looked at them then I see no reason why would do so now.

This bolded statement indicates one of two things.

1) You are unable to provide cited proof with evidence that can be verified by a third party with minimal knowledge of the subject matter because it does not exist, or

2) You are unwilling to provide cited proof with evidence that can be verified by a third party with minimal knowledge of the subject matter.

In either case, your claims remain unproven. The responsibility of proof is on the claimant. This provides credibility and believability. As a member of the community at large, I for one, cannot take your argument seriously, or consider it valid at this time. That is not to say I believe you are wrong. You are simply shirking your responsibility in your attempts to sway opinion.

Please provide sales numbers from WotC and Hasbro for the time in question, player opinions that were logged by WotC and/or Hasbro for the time in question, or any other information that points to the claims you make.

archaeo
2014-09-15, 09:31 AM
Also, keep in mind that Reactions are treated as Bonus Actions when it comes to action economy, so use quick spells and AoOs wisely.

Nah, man, bonus actions and reactions are two separate things. Sidmen's example is correct, though I don't see anything in the rules that says you can't take a reaction before your first turn in a combat unless you are surprised.

koscum
2014-09-15, 03:31 PM
Nah, man, bonus actions and reactions are two separate things. Sidmen's example is correct, though I don't see anything in the rules that says you can't take a reaction before your first turn in a combat unless you are surprised.
Indeed. I stand corrected. I guess we should've re-read the action economy rules since they've changed since the last playtest we had :|. Thanksies, mate; we'll no longer have to choose between AoO/Protection and bonus actions :3.

captpike
2014-09-15, 03:43 PM
{scrubbed}

BW022
2014-09-15, 05:29 PM

Feather fall in 5E is a "Reaction" action. It takes place when something occurs -- in this case if you or creature within 60' of you falls. When this occurs (whether it is your initiative or not) you can decide if you want the spell to go off. If you do, you cast it. You can only take one reaction action per turn. Thus, if you cast feather fall... you couldn't cast shield (also now a reaction spell) or take a weapon attack against someone leaving your reach.

Pex
2014-09-15, 05:57 PM

3E fans say hi.

Theodoxus
2014-09-16, 08:49 AM

The hilarious thing is, how many books of what edition were sold doesn't really mean anything. I bought the 4th Ed starter set, because they conveniently sold them as the PHB, MM, DMG together. I even played a few games. How many books sold <> how many games played. Other than showing how initially popular it was, the statistic is meaningless.

I didn't realize I had to show any stats, as no one else was. So, I'll let you, captpike, go search the net for proof. I have all I need - no one in my community is playing 4th. I suspect [aka IMO] within a few months, no one will be playing 5th. I might be wrong, we'll see.

Kadarai
2014-09-16, 01:31 PM
The hilarious thing is, how many books of what edition were sold doesn't really mean anything. I bought the 4th Ed starter set, because they conveniently sold them as the PHB, MM, DMG together. I even played a few games. How many books sold <> how many games played. Other than showing how initially popular it was, the statistic is meaningless.

I didn't realize I had to show any stats, as no one else was. So, I'll let you, captpike, go search the net for proof. I have all I need - no one in my community is playing 4th. I suspect [aka IMO] within a few months, no one will be playing 5th. I might be wrong, we'll see.

From what i've heard the release of 4e was Pathfinder's greatest selling point. Even great player leagues elected to play 3.5 or pathfinder instead of promoting 4e. (hell even Dead Gentlemen Productions used Pathfinder for their products even though their success came form D&D)

But tbh it did achieve something. 'Till now player's argued which edition was better, but sticked with their edition. 4e is the first edition to divide players to pre- and post essentials period

Galen
2014-09-16, 04:11 PM
There's a type of action called Reaction, which is, for those used to 3.5 terminology, very similar to Immediate Action. Feather Fall is cast as a Reaction, so we're good here.

DrLemniscate
2014-09-16, 04:28 PM
I feel like there should be an option to cast some spells that are Bonus Actions or Reactions at the slower speed of Action.

Shouldn't you be able to cast Feather Fall before you jump off the cliff? Don't want some creature (or PC!) to Counterspell it out of nowhere.

Theodoxus
2014-09-16, 08:42 PM
I feel like there should be an option to cast some spells that are Bonus Actions or Reactions at the slower speed of Action.

Shouldn't you be able to cast Feather Fall before you jump off the cliff? Don't want some creature (or PC!) to Counterspell it out of nowhere.

Nothing specifies you can't. Nothing specifies you can... another ruling for your friendly neighborhood dungeon master!

rlc
2014-09-16, 09:02 PM
Nessa means that needing to cast Feather Fall RIGHT NOW BEFORE I HIT THE GROUND spawned the need for action types faster than Move and Standard; now that there are no Immediate/Swift/Blargle, and not having read any 5e rules, she wants to know what makes FF work without having to wait for your next Standard, which is likely after impact.

Nessa, think of FF as being cast as an AoO: falling is a specific trigger that allows you to cast FF in 5e, like casting a spell is a specific trigger that allows beatdown in 3.P. It's an imperfect answer, but doesn't require ANY system understanding.

To be fair, she was pretty aggressive about her stance while making it obvious that she had no idea what the rules were.

Sartharina
2014-09-16, 09:37 PM
What is the point of this thread?

In 5e, Feather Fall is cast as a reaction, which can happen off-turn, or on-turn if you, say, want to make a dramatic leap from a billion-story building.

In pre-Immediate-action 3e, Feather Fall worked out-of-turn because the text explicitly said it could be cast out-of-turn:

Dungeons & Dragons Player's Handbook: Core Rulebook I v3.5 Feather Fall, P.229
"Casting time: 1 free action...
...You can cast this spell with an instant utterance, quickly enough to save yourself if you unexpectedly fall. Casting the spell is a free action, like casting a quickened spell, and it counts toward the normal limit of one quickened spell per round. You may even cast this spell when it isn't your turn."

D&D Player's Handbook Feather Fall, P.239: "Casting time: 1 reaction, which you cast when you or a creature within 60' of you falls"

Nessa Ellenesse
2014-09-28, 12:29 AM

Dude what are you talking about I'm just asking for some clarification on some stuff I heard about 5th edition and $E was not a failure it was an EPIC FAIL why do you think WOTC replaced it so quickly?

Nessa Ellenesse
2014-09-28, 12:36 AM
Feather fall in 5E is a "Reaction" action. It takes place when something occurs -- in this case if you or creature within 60' of you falls. When this occurs (whether it is your initiative or not) you can decide if you want the spell to go off. If you do, you cast it. You can only take one reaction action per turn. Thus, if you cast feather fall... you couldn't cast shield (also now a reaction spell) or take a weapon attack against someone leaving your reach.
Thank you this is the response I was looking for. In 3.5 Feather fall was an immidiate action which meant you could use it any time during the round but during the round you could only use one immidate or one swift action. And Sheild in 3.5 is a standard action so that must have changed as well. I'm just trying to get a handle on how action clasifications have changed not start a which edition is best war. Anyway my curiosty has been satisfied for now. Given the amount of money I have invested in 3.5 the likelyhood of my moving on to another edition is extremely low.

Bakakiba
2014-09-28, 01:35 PM
Dude what are you talking about I'm just asking for some clarification on some stuff I heard about 5th edition and $E was not a failure it was an EPIC FAIL why do you think WOTC replaced it so quickly?

4E lasted as long as 3.5 did, and both lasted longer than 3.0. Neither lasted as long as the previous editions.

rlc
2014-09-28, 09:47 PM

honestly, it has to do with market cycles. as the post above this one says, 4e lasted as long 3.5 and both lasted longer than 3e. you could probably say that 3.5 was just an update to 3e, which would mean that it lasted longer than 4e, but then it just goes back to market cycles again. they didn't "replace it so fast" because "it was an epic fail," but because it made economic sense to do it.
i like to compare it to video games, because that's one of its major sources of competition: each video game generation lasts about 5 years, so why shouldn't each edition of a tabletop game last the same amount of time?

also, as much as you claim in your next post to not be trying to start an edition war, that's exactly what this post is trying to do. i personally don't care which edition is the best, but saying that something is an epic fail is obviously trying to start a war.