PDA

View Full Version : Statting up Evening Glory [3.5]

Bad Wolf
2014-09-14, 08:56 PM
So yeah, the title basically says it all. I just need help coming up with a thematically-appropriate class for Evening Glory, a creepy, undead-themed love goddess from Libris Mortis. So, I turn to you guys. Does anyone have any good ideas?

Thurbane
2014-09-14, 09:30 PM
I think the Lichloved feat is mandatory. :smallamused:

Maybe a Beguiler (or Bard) with the Necromantic Bloodline feat from Dragon Compendium?

Shinken
2014-09-14, 09:39 PM
Cleric 20/Dread Necromancer 20

Bad Wolf
2014-09-14, 09:42 PM
I think the Lichloved feat is mandatory. :smallamused:

Maybe a Beguiler (or Bard) with the Necromantic Bloodline feat from Dragon Compendium?

Aside from how weird and awkward it would be for a goddess to sleep with an undead (they'd just be a pile of dust, judging from the average Strength score of deities), she wouldn't get any benefits from it, as she's already undead.

I don't think Beguiler would fit... but maybe with a few levels of Dirgesinger for fluff, Bard could fit.

Jeff the Green
2014-09-14, 09:43 PM
What's the usual level for deities of her rank?

Maybe an Illumian (Naenhoon) lich (good variant) Bard 5/Dirgesinger 5/Sublime Chord 1/Heartwarder 10? Turn Undead plus Naenhoon means persisted or quickened Sublime Chord spells, and Lich plus Heartwarder means a +12 to Charisma. She's also, curiously and appropriately, not exactly undead but a Fey with undead traits and no Constitution.

Bad Wolf
2014-09-14, 10:02 PM
What's the usual level for deities of her rank?

Maybe an Illumian (Naenhoon) lich (good variant) Bard 5/Dirgesinger 5/Sublime Chord 1/Heartwarder 10? Turn Undead plus Naenhoon means persisted or quickened Sublime Chord spells, and Lich plus Heartwarder means a +12 to Charisma. She's also, curiously and appropriately, not exactly undead but a Fey with undead traits and no Constitution.

20 levels of Cleric, 20 levels of another class, judging by Vecna. Your suggestion might work, I'm definitely slapping on the Lich template. I don't think Heartwarder fits, as it requires you being the follower of Sune, and being Chaotic Good. EG is True Neutral, and from what I've seen, Sune doesn't like undead. Thanks for the ideas, though.

Shinken: Dread Necromancer might work.

SaintRidley
2014-09-14, 10:09 PM
Going by the laughable standards of other statted deities, Cleric 20/Other class 20. I'd probably pick DN as well. Or, if we're being silly because she should have it (despite it sucking): Cleric 10/DN 10/True Necro 14/ Mystic Theurge 6.

Lich, obviously. Lichloved as a bonus feat, obviously (and just ignore the evil requirement).

Curbstomp
2014-09-14, 10:24 PM
I'd consider a Vampire 20 Bard/10 Acolyte of the Skin/10 Vampire Lord for Evening Glory. She would be pretty boss, though limited in scope for personal undead control beyond vampires. However that does not stop her two master's chosen thralls from being Dread Necromancer 20 each.

Jeff the Green
2014-09-14, 10:41 PM
20 levels of Cleric, 20 levels of another class, judging by Vecna. Your suggestion might work, I'm definitely slapping on the Lich template. I don't think Heartwarder fits, as it requires you being the follower of Sune, and being Chaotic Good. EG is True Neutral, and from what I've seen, Sune doesn't like undead. Thanks for the ideas, though.

Shinken: Dread Necromancer might work.

You'd need to refluff Heartwarder, certainly, and change the alignment and deity requirement, but the feel and the abilities are perfect for her—they're all about kisses and being sexy.

Bad Wolf
2014-09-14, 11:41 PM
I'd consider a Vampire 20 Bard/10 Acolyte of the Skin/10 Vampire Lord for Evening Glory. She would be pretty boss, though limited in scope for personal undead control beyond vampires. However that does not stop her two master's chosen thralls from being Dread Necromancer 20 each.

Vampire can't be applied to Outsiders, and it seems like she loses more then she gains. Thanks anyways, though.

Jeff: I guess I could always re-fluff it to her divine power or something, but the build is a bit complicated for my tastes, sorry.

SaintRidley: Yeah, Gods do tend to go for fluff over crunch. But I'd prefer a Cleric 20/ Something Thematic 20 to a overly complicated Ur-Priest build with ninth-level divine and arcane spells any day. I do like your suggestion though, I think I'll go with that. Maybe Winterspawn instead of Lich, seems sort of appropriate. Now to pick out the feats...

Thanks for the help everyone. :smallsmile:

Flickerdart
2014-09-14, 11:48 PM
(despite it sucking)
Seems pretty thematic for a goddess of love, I'd say. :smallamused:

Curbstomp
2014-09-15, 01:56 AM
Given the real life romance tales involving vampires over the last hundred years I thought that it might appeal to your players. Lich to me at least makes little sense thematically even if it is more powerful mechanically.

She doesn't have to be an outsider at all if you don't want. And it's up to you if you follow only RAW in your game. In mine, the "deities" of the polytheistic pantheons are not outsiders at all. Twenty Outsider HD seems a waste of space to me. So to clarify, my suggestion was not made out of ignorance, but was made under the assumption that you had control of your game and the power to make exceptions to RAW for your setting. If you are locked into RAW only (and some of the rules as written definitely need rulings made on them), consider simply re-skinning a premade death-deity from Deities and Demigods.

Bad Wolf
2014-09-15, 02:58 AM
Given the real life romance tales involving vampires over the last hundred years I thought that it might appeal to your players. Lich to me at least makes little sense thematically even if it is more powerful mechanically.

She doesn't have to be an outsider at all if you don't want. And it's up to you if you follow only RAW in your game. In mine, the "deities" of the polytheistic pantheons are not outsiders at all. Twenty Outsider HD seems a waste of space to me. So to clarify, my suggestion was not made out of ignorance, but was made under the assumption that you had control of your game and the power to make exceptions to RAW for your setting. If you are locked into RAW only (and some of the rules as written definitely need rulings made on them), consider simply re-skinning a premade death-deity from Deities and Demigods.

Good point, I'll consider that.

Curbstomp
2014-09-15, 03:59 AM
Also I made a mistake in my original reply. My build has a vampire become an outsider via prestige class. RAW may allow that, though it is a bit odd admittedly.

Thurbane
2014-09-15, 05:37 AM
Aside from how weird and awkward it would be for a goddess to sleep with an undead (they'd just be a pile of dust, judging from the average Strength score of deities), she wouldn't get any benefits from it, as she's already undead.

I don't think Beguiler would fit... but maybe with a few levels of Dirgesinger for fluff, Bard could fit.

Oops, misunderstood the OP, thought you meant a PC who is a devotee of Evening Glory - not statting the deity herself.