PDA

View Full Version : Throwing Stones(Skiprock Optimization help)

sambouchah
2014-09-14, 09:11 PM
I've been reading up on Skiprocks(having remembered them recently) and absolutely love them! Two targets, one projectile? Deal! However I have a few questions and a build that I would love some help with.

My Build is only one level so far, because I'm not too sure where to go after that.
Strongheart Halfling Rogue 1(Halfling Rogue Sub Level)
Feats: Point Blank Shot(Racial), Precise Shot(Flaw), Rapid Shot(Flaw), Craven(Level 1)
Flaws/Traits: Quick, Non-Combatant, Skillet

Ability Scores:
Strength: 15
Dexterity: 14
Constitution: 10
Intelligence: 18
Wisdom: 10
Charisma: 18
(All scores are done as my current DM would do them)

My combat looks like this: Skiprock +3 1d4+2+ Sneak Attack 2d6+1

Questions:
1. How can I improve my combat using Skiprocks?
2. Is Exotic Weapon Proficiency(Warsling) worth it?
3. I've heard of Skiprock Champion but can't find it, could someone give me a link?
4. What other feats would be useful for this build?

Jeff the Green
2014-09-14, 09:22 PM
Well, there's the Halfling Rock-Skipping Champion (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=9623050&postcount=6). Strictly speaking, it's homebrew, but it's by the Giant.

TmasterT
2014-09-15, 07:40 AM
go into master thrower PRC, take double toss (standard action throw 2 stones at full str bonus), stay away from plam throw its not good, eventually get weak spot (ranged touch attacks!!) ask your DM if you can combine two with one throw into your skipping ricochet pattern, in theory you could hit 3 targets with one rock if they're all next to each other, or ask if you could skip the rock back into the original target.

oh and get yourself a wand of greater invis, or a ring of blinking so you can sneak attack on all the hits. none of those attacks are volley so they all get full Str damage and precision damage.

Id honestly switch your CHA with your DEX, and your STR with your CON.
take 2 levels of targeteer fighter ACF (dragon 310) this gives you dex to damage if you take the vital aim feat. so that would give you +4 to hit and +4 to damage with your rocks, you then take weapon focus skip rock (now you qualify for master thrower. the other couple levels you take as rogue till your BAB is 5, then its master thrower goodness.

There is a more optimized way if you take 1 lvl of targeteer fighter (vital aim, dex to damage), 3 lvls of swashbuckler (int to damage, skip rocks weigh 1lb or less thus are treated as "light") 2 lvl of rogue (1 at first lvl like you already have) take the feat daring outlaw at 6th (rogue and swash lvls stack for sneak attack) your 6th lvl class is rogue. 7th lvl your all set for master thrower goodness. this build nets you dex to hit and damage, and Int to damage, and 3d6 sneak(4d6 with halfling rogue on ranged attacks, of course coupled with craven for even more)

so 1d4+8+4d6+7 to each target hit (if invis or whatever for the sneak, remembering 30' max distance) at 7th lvl. also remember you can use 2 weapon fighting to throw more rocks as well you just take the normal -2 penalties
so
1st halfling rogue
2 targeter fighter
3-5 swashbuckler
6 rogue
7 master thrower

Psyren
2014-09-15, 09:08 AM
Well, there's the Halfling Rock-Skipping Champion (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=9623050&postcount=6). Strictly speaking, it's homebrew, but it's by the Giant.

I know it's an older post from him, but tying the mechanics to gender like that really irks me.

sambouchah
2014-09-15, 10:46 AM
go into master thrower PRC, take double toss (standard action throw 2 stones at full str bonus), stay away from plam throw its not good, eventually get weak spot (ranged touch attacks!!) ask your DM if you can combine two with one throw into your skipping ricochet pattern, in theory you could hit 3 targets with one rock if they're all next to each other, or ask if you could skip the rock back into the original target.

oh and get yourself a wand of greater invis, or a ring of blinking so you can sneak attack on all the hits. none of those attacks are volley so they all get full Str damage and precision damage.

Id honestly switch your CHA with your DEX, and your STR with your CON.
take 2 levels of targeteer fighter ACF (dragon 310) this gives you dex to damage if you take the vital aim feat. so that would give you +4 to hit and +4 to damage with your rocks, you then take weapon focus skip rock (now you qualify for master thrower. the other couple levels you take as rogue till your BAB is 5, then its master thrower goodness.

There is a more optimized way if you take 1 lvl of targeteer fighter (vital aim, dex to damage), 3 lvls of swashbuckler (int to damage, skip rocks weigh 1lb or less thus are treated as "light") 2 lvl of rogue (1 at first lvl like you already have) take the feat daring outlaw at 6th (rogue and swash lvls stack for sneak attack) your 6th lvl class is rogue. 7th lvl your all set for master thrower goodness. this build nets you dex to hit and damage, and Int to damage, and 3d6 sneak(4d6 with halfling rogue on ranged attacks, of course coupled with craven for even more)

so 1d4+8+4d6+7 to each target hit (if invis or whatever for the sneak, remembering 30' max distance) at 7th lvl. also remember you can use 2 weapon fighting to throw more rocks as well you just take the normal -2 penalties
so
1st halfling rogue
2 targeter fighter
3-5 swashbuckler
6 rogue
7 master thrower

If Vital Aim nets me dex to damage why take two levels of Targeteer? Or is it some sort of combo between the two that grants it?

Baroknik
2014-09-15, 11:58 AM
On top of targeteer/vital aim, if you can squeeze in shadow blade (with an aptitude sling) + assassin's stance, you are looking at 2x DEX to damage and an additional 2d6 SA for fun!

Rebel7284
2014-09-15, 12:15 PM
On top of targeteer/vital aim, if you can squeeze in shadow blade (with an aptitude sling) + assassin's stance, you are looking at 2x DEX to damage and an additional 2d6 SA for fun!

Benefit

While you are in a Shadow Hand stance and attack with one of the discipline's preferred weapons, you can add your Dexterity modifier as a bonus on melee damage for attacks made with the weapon.

Baroknik
2014-09-15, 12:20 PM
Benefit

While you are in a Shadow Hand stance and attack with one of the discipline's preferred weapons, you can add your Dexterity modifier as a bonus on melee damage for attacks made with the weapon.

Ah, missed the melee tag, and doubt you could make the argument for adaptive in that case.

sambouchah
2014-09-15, 12:35 PM
My DM gives us a backstory related bonus feat(mine would be Exotic Weapon Proficiency(War Sling) for high range skips). I was also thinking of adding the Shadow Creature or Dark template(we're allowed LA buyoff). Is either template worth the level adjustment or should I just stick with Strongheart?

EDIT: My character will be rolled in at level 2.