PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Infinite Power Points for the Non-Manifester (Maneuver Recovery Optimization)

Kevingway
2014-09-14, 10:42 PM
Simple scenario: I want to be able to infinitely recover the use of just one maneuver. Let's say this is a max-level maneuver, which would take 9 power points to recover per use with ToB's Psychic Renewal feat.

There's nothing in the XPH or CP that prevents spending more PP on recovering a maneuver than your manifester level, since all of these clauses apply to spending PP on actual powers (including Metapsionic Feats, which they say fall under that rule only because they enhance powers in their own way).

I'm a little concerned about cognizance crystals being used when I expend my own psionic focus, since the XPH mentions that when manifesting a power (or spending PP, I can't remember), the source has to be either you, the crystal, or something else, but you can't mix both at the same time. I'm not sure how this applies to using my own focus but the crystal's PP. I believe it's possible, though.

So, what's the most effective way of recovering PP for this use without having any levels in psionic classes?

Or, are there any other ways of having access to a maneuver that can be used repeatedly in combat that's cheaper than going with psionics?

Thanks!

sideswipe
2014-09-15, 04:43 AM
a warblade is a swift action to renew all manouvers as long as you spend your standard action making a non manouver attack or "flexing" and you can use that to renew after using just the one you wanted. its infinite, takes a similar amount of action (since gaining a psionic focus is a move action) and does the same job. the only thing you would gain is essentially a full round action to psionic focus, spend swift to renew, then use the manouver. as a non psionic class its a huge expenditure but it could be worth it as a get out of jail free.

as far as i know there is no way to recharge power points without actual psionic powers.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2014-09-15, 05:13 AM
[dumb answer]
Leadership --> Psion cohort with Bestow Power recharge trick + action economy breakers. Then again it'll seem like the Psion's the main character and the initiator is the cohort...
[/dumb answer]

Chronos
2014-09-15, 09:40 AM
The most reliable method for gaining one or two maneuvers which can be used repeatedly (as in, every round) is the Idiot Crusader. That's a crusader who has a lower-than-normal number of maneuvers known, such that his number of Maneuvers Granted is at least equal to his Maneuvers Known, and so gets all of his maneuvers instantly granted at the start of every turn. The quickest way to achieve this is to take Warblade for your first level, choosing all of the first-level Stone Dragon and White Raven maneuvers as maneuvers known, and then taking Crusader at second, and having no maneuvers left to choose from except for the two first-level Devoted Spirit maneuvers.

This is of limited usefulness, though, since it means that the only maneuvers you can spam indefinitely are those two first-level ones. So the next step is to take enough non-crusader levels to get your initiator level up to where you want it, and then take a ToB prestige class that adds maneuvers known. White Raven Tactics is a common choice for this, as it lets you take unlimited turns in a single round.

sleepyphoenixx
2014-09-15, 03:55 PM
Azure Talent, Psicarnum Infusion, Psionic Meditation. Expend your psionic focus to get 8 temporary pp (essentia capacity depends on level, so it's less at lower levels), regain it as a move action, then use Psychic Renewal. Only usable every second round unless you get extra move actions though.

Keep in mind you need to be psionic to take psionic feats and gain psionic focus, so you either need a naturally psionic race, the Wild Talent/Hidden Talent feat or a level in a psionic class.

Kevingway
2014-09-15, 04:45 PM
Trying to perform this trick as a non-initiator, as there are plenty of ways to get around the renewal stumps when you're either a Crusader or Warblade both :)

I'm also more and more skeptical of using Psycarnum feats due to the way such things perform outside of the psionics side of incarnum feats (more smites "per day" per invested essentia using Psycarnum Infusion? It's sketchy). It isn't a bad idea, and I love including more subsystems on one character, but going into incarnum for this reason is sort of a last resort for me.

Rubik
2014-09-15, 07:04 PM
A manifester with access to both the metamind's font of power and the Temporal Reiteration power can have infinite power points all day long.