PDA

View Full Version : Optimization getting a sword or similar back into its sheath with shenanigans.

sideswipe
2014-09-15, 05:45 AM
so the question is,
how can you get a weapon back into its sheath without using an action other than free.
im looking for some sort of returning variant that puts the weapon back to sheath instantly. for example i draw my sword and make an attack, but then i wish to sheath it some how and draw before my next attack in the same round.

for an iaijitsu character i want to make but lots of strikes instead of one big one.

no gnomish quick razors.

Karnith
2014-09-15, 06:07 AM
Try using a Cursed -2 Sword (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/cursedItems.htm#swordCursed), perhaps? Since you draw it whenever you try to draw another weapon, keeping it and another weapon on-hand can allow you to draw the -2 Sword, make an attack, drop it, and draw the -2 Sword again (when you attempt to draw the other weapon). It won't (necessarily) return the Cursed Sword to its sheath, but it should let you fulfill the "immediately after drawing a melee weapon" clause of Iaijutsu Focus.

This longsword performs well against targets in practice, but when used against an opponent in combat, it causes its wielder to take a -2 penalty on attack rolls.

All damage dealt is also reduced by 2 points, but never below a minimum of 1 point of damage on any successful hit. After one week in a character’s possession, the sword always forces that character to employ it rather than another weapon. The sword’s owner automatically draws it and fights with it even when she meant to draw or ready some other weapon. The sword can be gotten rid of only by means of limited wish, wish, or miracle.

sideswipe
2014-09-15, 12:57 PM
the problem would be that i am wanting to use a weapon other than longsword. is there another way?

Daishain
2014-09-15, 01:03 PM
the problem would be that i am wanting to use a weapon other than longsword. is there another way?

I don't know of any other way personally, never looked into sheathing shenanigans myself. but the curse in question can be applied to any weapon pretty easily. The longsword was just used as an example.

Extra Anchovies
2014-09-15, 01:04 PM

Apply the "no using other weapons" property of the cursed -2 sword to a different weapon? The -2 sword has a market price, so just reverse the crafting process to find its creation cost.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-09-15, 01:18 PM
A Gnome Quickrazor in Races of Stone is automatically resheathed after every attack, no additional effort needed.

Other than that, you're stuck with a cursed weapon of some kind.

Oddman80
2014-09-15, 04:31 PM
CRYSTAL OF RETURN, Lesser - allows you to call your weapon to your hand from up to 30' away as a move action. who needs a sheath - just drop it, and call it before the next attack. good for multiple iajutsu focus attacks on a enemy adjacent to you.

If you put the "THROWING" enchantment on your melee weapon, you can then get the CRYSTAL OF RETURN, Greater. Since this combo allows you to draw it as a free action (no quickdraw needed... though you will probably have it anyway for mercurial strike feat, right?), and gives the weapon the returning property, then you can "draw" the weapon at the start of each turn. The rules don't say you must draw it from a sheath. And since the returning property says you don't get the weapon back until the beginning of your next turn - you have just started turn two with drawing the weapon.

I would love to see this at higher BAB's with itterative attacks... get multiple weapons with this enchantment/crystal combo - draw and throw each one for bonus Iajutsu Focus damage (you are attacking with a melee weapon - it does not say it must be a melee attack) just throw greatswords left and right.:smallbiggrin:

Segev
2014-09-15, 04:43 PM
I actually love the -2 cursed weapon idea. With the kind of damage you'll be doing, the -2 won't hurt your damage. You'll need something to compensate for the to-hit penalty if you're doing any sort of two weapon fighting, but you didn't mention that so I am guessing you're not.

A longsword suitable for being a magic item costs 315 gp, which is always included in the final listed price of the item in question. Therefore, the 1500 gp cursed longsword has 1185 gp worth of magic on it. Add 1,185 gp to the cost of a masterwork weapon of your choice to make it a -2 cursed weapon. It will always be the weapon you draw whenever you try to draw any weapon.

Extra Anchovies
2014-09-15, 06:40 PM
I actually love the -2 cursed weapon idea. With the kind of damage you'll be doing, the -2 won't hurt your damage. You'll need something to compensate for the to-hit penalty if you're doing any sort of two weapon fighting, but you didn't mention that so I am guessing you're not.

A longsword suitable for being a magic item costs 315 gp, which is always included in the final listed price of the item in question. Therefore, the 1500 gp cursed longsword has 1185 gp worth of magic on it. Add 1,185 gp to the cost of a masterwork weapon of your choice to make it a -2 cursed weapon. It will always be the weapon you draw whenever you try to draw any weapon.

Also, the -2 part is a specific enchantment, rather than a negative enhancement bonus, so you could make it a +2 cursed -2 sword. Then you have both offset the penalty and screwed with your DM's head.

Kevingway
2014-09-15, 07:08 PM
You're making an iajutsu character, and I'm about to make a suggestion that's silly, yet exactly what you want.

You're obviously using a katana. Therefore, try being a Soulknife. Soulknives can free-action draw their mindblade once they reach a not-too-hard-to-reach level, and dropping it is the same as sheathing it, as the blade fizzles away instead of falling to the ground.

The best part? You can manifest katanas! These are, of course, two-handed bastard swords, but those basically are katanas in D&D mechanics wise.

The best best part? According to Complete Psionic, the soulknife's free draw ability counts as Quick Draw for prestige classes and other purposes, so you don't have to waste getting that terrible feat!

Of course, you do have to play a Soulknife.