PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next skills

terikthetailor
2014-09-15, 08:00 AM
I have always loved the skill system in 3.5, and am quite disappointed by the 5th edition system. too vague for me. So I adapted my skill tables to the 5th edition model, and so far it is working fine. The skills run from 1-40, with greater than 30 being beyond the reach of most people. 35 is heroic, and 40 is epic. These are possible with high stats (breaking the max 20 rule), and expertise. Even without the stats, a 17th level character could make a 30 on a roll of 18 or better, if he has expertise in a skill. I've added two feats to my game to make these roll more accessible, but i'll post them later. Here is my Acrobatic skill list. I've created it over the years from various sources and compiled them for my game, so you might recognize several things from different sources.

Acrobatics (each foot of movement cost 1 extra foot)
Surface Width (DC)
1-3 feet wide (5)
7-11 inches wide (10)
2-6 inches wide (15)
1-2 inches wide (20)
Up to 1 inch wide (25)
Hair-thin (30)
Liquid or Fragile (35)
Cloud (40)
Full Speed (move at normal speed, losing the extra cost per foot) (+5)

Acrobatics Modifiers DC Modifier
Slightly obstructed (gravel, sand) +2
Severely obstructed (cavern, rubble) +5
Slightly slippery (wet) +2
Severely slippery (icy) +5
Slightly sloped (<45°) +2
Severely sloped (>45°) +5
Slightly unsteady (boat in rough water) +2
Moderately unsteady (boat in a storm) +5
Severely unsteady (earthquake) +10

Task (DC)
Ignore Fall 10’ (10)
Hop Up (jump waist high) cost:10’ of movement (10)
Ignore Fall 20’ (15)
Stand as a bonus action (15)
Ignore Fall 30’ (20)
Stand up as free action (25)
Ignore Fall 40’ (25)
Ignore Fall 50’ (30)
Ignore Fall 60’ (35)
Ignore Fall Any Height (40)

Restraint (Acrobatic DC)
Rope/bindings (20 + binder’s acrobatic bonus)
Manacles (30)
Tight space (30)
Masterwork manacles (35)
Extremely tight space (35)
Pass through Wall of Force, Prismatic Wall (40)

Ignore Fall: With a successful Acrobatic check you ignore damage from the listed height, or reduce that height from total height fallen. Thus if you fall 30 feet, you reduce the damage by 10 feet if you roll a 10 acrobatics, reduce the damage by 20 feet if you roll a 15, and ignore the damage totally if you roll a 20.

Ropes: The DC of your Acrobatic check is equal to the binder's acrobatic modifier +20.

Manacles and Masterwork Manacles: The DC for manacles is set by their construction.

Tight Space: The DC noted is for getting through a space through which your head fits but your shoulders don't. If the space is long, you may need to make multiple checks. You can't squeeze through a space that your head does not fit through.

Extremely Tight Space: This is the DC for getting through a space when one’s head shouldn’t even be able to fit; this can be as small as 2 inches square for Medium-size creatures. Halve this limit for each size category less than Medium-size; double it for each size category greater than Medium-size. If the space is long, such as in a chimney, multiple checks may be called for.

Pass through Wall of Force: This allows a character to find a gap of weakness in a wall of force (or similar force effect) and squeeze through it. Similar walls are also affected (Prismatic Walls) as long as the total wall effect is magical, and not a conjured material.