PDA

View Full Version : Notes for a [Campaign Setting]

Attilargh
2007-03-11, 10:31 AM
So, first of all, the following is far from finished, polished or even fully thought-out campaign setting: It is merely a collection of ideas. Few names excist, because I'm really poor at inventing them. (Wink wink. :wink:)

If you happen to be interested, please, comment, critique and especially ask questions. I have a nasty tendency of not finishing what I start, so if you're really, genuinely interested, prod me forward.

---

Theme:
Overall, I guess the setting is about change. While the history of the world extends back for hundreds of years, the past is not quite as important as the future. Notable NPCs, gods, even the land itself will go through changes. Some will fare better than others, be betrayed, die, and even rise from the grave. (Any single character will probably not go through all that, however.)

Me? Ambitious? Come on, now. :tongue:

The World:
Currently I'm concentrating on the South, because I'm tired of all the Frozen Norths and Middle-European Forests. I want sun, jungles, old ruins covered in vegetation, sparkling waters, massive downpours, monsoons, beautiful islands, coral reefs, huge rivers, that sort of stuff. And yes, tigers, apes, snakes and all sorts of fangy creatures will try to eat you in the wilds as you try to find the Ruins of Something-Or-Other.

The shining jewel of the South is the city of Serra. (Yes, the name was nicked off a Magic card I saw long ago, will change it.) Before the elves, the city was the seat of the human God-King Cesath. Being the most important port in the South, it was the first to be invaded by the elves and two hundred years later, it is still under elven rule. The city is a melting pot of cultures where an Elven temple sits next to a human shrine, and a kobold haggles with a dwarf in the marketplace over the price of the newest import. Hundreds of years of trade with other peoples have shaped the city, and the influence can be seen in the various architectural styles of the buildings.

Races:
Humans: The Young.

The human civilization is a young one, with only about a thousand years of history or so. Humans hail from the jungles of the South (Attilargh needs names. Badly.), where their greatest cities lie, but the ambitious race has spread over the Eastern Coast, even to the cold North.

Humans have little in the way of central government, as the political trend is City-States. About five centuries ago, the God-King Cesath (Hey look, a name! Too bad it's a crappy one.) united Southern cities to a kingdom, but after a hundred years of rule, Cesath was slain or disappeared and the kingdom disintegrated.

Religion-wise, humans have a massive number of minor deities to choose from. Many still offer worship to Cesath, but every city has at least a couple gods of its own, many families revere one or more of their ancestors as deities, and it is a rare mythical hero who doesn't have a small cult to himself. To complicate things further, nearly everyone worships at least a couple deities regularly, and more as there is need. Quite a few truly evil people also worship fiends of the Underworld. [Rules-wise this means that a human can make up his own god(s), and human clerics can pick any two domains they like. Within reason, of course.]

Humans have little aptitude for sorcery or other forms of spontaneous arcana, and little tradition in magecraft. The human mind is powerful, however, and psionic power comes easily to a human who seeks it. Thus, psionics are an integral part of life in most human communities.

Style is a bit Arabic, a bit Indian (India-related) and a tiny bit Greco-Roman mixed with some generic fantasy and a healthy dose of the exotic.

Elves: The Conquistadors

Bet that took you by surprise, eh? That's right, elves are conquerors. Originally from another continent across the seas, the first elves arrived to the Southern shores about three centuries ago as explorers and traders. A few decades later trading ships had changed to military vessels and in under a century, the elves had occupied some of the most important Southern cities.

Elves are not, however, new arrivals to the continent. About a thousand years ago, the elves lived in the area that is now only a ruin-dotted desert in the Northwest. Yep, a Magical Catastrophe occured, forcing the elves to flee. They left behind works of art, magic, architecture and a honking big desert, and became ancient tales for the other races. [So it's cliché, sue me. I needed an excuse for weird magic items, dungeons and the drow.]

The elves are united under a single government.The government is an elected senate, which promotes all kinds of underhanded political moves, such as stabbings, poisonings and bribes. In the colonies the power is concentrated on a triumvirate of sorts consisting of the local governor, the head of the local military and the high priest elected from the clergy of the Six.

The elves worship six gods: Lord, Lady, Mother, Death, Warrior and Traveler (LN, CN, NG, N, NE and N, respectively).

Lord, also known as the Smith, is the god of the four elements and order. (Law, Air, Earth, Fire, Water)
Lady personifies the living nature and its chaos. (Chaos, Animals, Plants, Sun)
Mother is the protector and caretaker of the elves. (Good, Protection, Luck, Healing)
Death is the god of the dead and arcane magic. (Death, Magic, Destruction)
Warrior is the god who ruthlessly crushes the elves' enemies. (War, Strength, Evil)
Traveler, also known as the Sage, is the god of knowledge, wayfarers and traders. (Travel, Knowledge, Trickery)

Pretty obvious stuff, really. [This is a normal, loose pantheon, using all the domains from the Player's Handbook.]

As opposed to humans, elves have very long traditions of arcane magic, to the point it has become almost a science. Orreries, astrolabes and similar instruments are not uncommon in elven arcana. Some elves shun the scientific approach and instead consider the arcane more of an art, but these sorcerers are a minority, if a vocal one. The martial arts are also very honoured, and quite a few elves carry the mantle of a swordsage.

When I think of the elven flavour, I think of Greco-Roman mixed with Renaissance arts and sciences.

And the at-the-moment-minor races:

Dwarves:
I'm thinking of an Asian flavour. And they live aboveground, in villages. Still prefer mountains, perhaps has something to do with the thin air. No Scottish accent, thank you very much. Some live in the Southwestern mountains, others in the far North.

Gnomes:
Live in the Southern jungles along rivers. If you've seen Dead Man's Chest, think of the village where Tia Dalma lives. [Might use the Jungle Gnome rules.]

Halflings:
Nomads from the North. Might herd reindeer.

Goblins:
Live in tribes in the Southern jungles. Infest old ruins. Think of every tribe of cannibals you've seen in cheesy pulp adventures.

Hobgoblins:
A very militant, disciplined culture from the arid West. Used to be foes of the elves before the latter left.

Kobolds:
Orderly culture in the islands of the South. Worship the local dragons and are protected in turn. Creative, industrious and sharp.

---

So, what say you? Are you interested in the least? Was it the most boring waste of letters you've ever read? A fascinating take on old ideas or just the same old rubbish? Too little? (Well, yeah, it is. No metaplot, yet.) Too much? (That's a yes for me, 1223 words in a couple of hours, ugh.)

dead_but_dreaming
2007-03-11, 10:57 AM
First of all, the name Cesath is great and I like your idea. It's decently original too. :smallsmile: Also, I have a challenge for you: do something original about drow.

Question: how are you dealing with racial alignements?

Attilargh
2007-03-11, 11:37 AM
Thanks, glad you like.

Also, I have a challenge for you: do something original about drow.
Spider imagery gets the boot, spiders just creep me out. Probably no Lloth, either. Perhaps something like the following:

The drow are the elves who did not flee, but instead hid from the Catastrophe. They moved undergroud and surrounded themselves with protective magic, but even then the weak perished and the survivors were transformed. As the Catastrophe passed, the drow found themselves in a considerably harsher place, surrounded by hostile desert and even more hostile hobgoblins. Now they lead a nocturnal life, raiding against the hobgoblins from their strongholds under the elven ruins and trying to gather up the pieces to the puzzle of the Catastrophe.

I have an idea or two more, but they're a bit unrefined at the moment. I'll just say the drow are a literally dying breed.

Question: how are you dealing with racial alignements?
The original player races will be Neutral on average. It makes more sense to me, and doesn't result in those rather silly "dark elf" scenarios. (An elf acts evil, gets kicked out of the community, angsts and eventually becomes one of the most powerful benevolent bad guys of the realm. Dalamar and Elaith Craulnober for examples.)

I don't think I'll touch the racial alignments of the other civilised humanoids, i.e. kobolds, hobgoblins or drow, however. They are the products of their environments, rulers, gods, etc. However, while most represent the racial average alignment, many are neutral and good beings are far from unheard of.

Moofaa
2007-03-11, 11:37 AM
A.) I like that the elves are an agressive race, and not the cliche'd forest dwellers in decline, and that hey held obviously immense power in their homeland recently. Also that the Cataclysm or whatever was caused by elves, and not humans, as poor humans are normally the ones blamed for such destructive things.

B.) You make 'normal' elves sound a bit like drow. Maybe clarify that they are basically a 'good' race, but theres been power struggles going on since the magical accident, and all the while they have been trying to forge a new kingdom instead of going quietly into the night.

C.) Jungles! Make some aztec-like tribal humans and goblin cities. They have Blood Shamans that perform daily death rituals in every town where they slaughter dozens of people! Blood! Maybe they worship some sort of Cthulu-like creatures as gods, and some of these creatures physically exist in their lands.

Thats all I got for now.

Neon Knight
2007-03-11, 12:16 PM
A) I was working on a setting with Elves as conquerers too. Technically, they are Imperialists, but its the same thing.

B) You may wish to specify which kind of jungle. Are these supposed to be akin to the mis-represented African Jungle? The jungles of the Aztecs and Mayans? The rain forests of the Amazon? South Sea Island Jungles?

C) Jungle Gnomes could be akin to pygmy tribes. Heck, Goblins already sound like pygmy tribes.

Attilargh
2007-03-11, 01:18 PM
Yay, more responses! :smile:

Moofaa:
B) Yeah, I exaggerated it a bit. Nonetheless, they're more Neutral than Good, and thus the political game is quite harsh.
C) That sounds just perfect for some of the viler goblin tribes. And you'll probably like what I have in mind for the yuan-ti.

Kasrkin:
B) The problem is, I don't have the faintest idea what's the difference. :frown: I'm just thinking a generic "Paradise Island" rainforest with big trees and pretty dense undergrowth.
C) Clarify a bit, please. What do you mean by "akin to a pygmy tribe"?

Neon Knight
2007-03-11, 01:46 PM
B) Well, you may wish to do a bit of research. The difference between them is quite profound in the fauna and flora encountered. Although if you are thinking of overgrown stone temples, that sounds closer to Indian/Mezo American of jungle. I also forgot to mention the jungles of Asia.

C) I meant that they could be similar to the classical image of a pygmy tribe. You know; shrunken heads, bone piercings, short stature, primitive. Not necessarily historically correct, but a staple of many jungle adventure stories.

As to being akin to them, I mean that they may have the appearance and culture of the fictional pygmies featured the in jungle stories I am referring to. If I find a good example of what I am referring too, I may provide a link.

DomarSaul
2007-03-11, 04:48 PM
Alliances! Make an "empire" with an electorate to have formed in the last few hundred years. Gnomes, kobolds, humans and hobgobs each have representatives that sit on a council to appoint the nominal leader - who, being elected, has just as much influence as he can squeeze out of his "vassals." The elvish incursions have given this "Prince of Princes" a justified desire for more central authority; if the allied tribes, clans and nations cannot rally under one banner, they stand little chance of keeping the elves at bay.

If the Prince of Princes is a kobold, for example, he could have trouble keeping his gnome courtiers to actually stay and participate on the ramshackle court he holds; meanwhile, human chieftains jockey for position and negotiate unauthorized trading agreements with the halflings from the north.

As for names:
I suggest taking a look at maps and then mashing place-names together.
Also, Kate Monk's onomastikon is an amazing resoure, found under the resources section of www.gaminggeeks.org (http://www.gaminggeeks.org) - you could easily just take a surname or first name and make it a town or province.

Attilargh
2007-03-12, 04:53 AM
B) Well, you may wish to do a bit of research. The difference between them is quite profound in the fauna and flora encountered.
I will, but not quite yet. Flora and fauna are relatively minor details, after all. (I can't imagine myself asking the DM whether the jungle is more African or American.)

C) I meant that they could be similar to the classical image of a pygmy tribe. You know; shrunken heads, bone piercings, short stature, primitive. Not necessarily historically correct, but a staple of many jungle adventure stories.
Oh, right. That's pretty much exactly the goblins, gnomes are a bit more civilised. Live in cottages, farm land, stuff like that.

Alliances! Make an "empire" with an electorate to have formed in the last few hundred years. Gnomes, kobolds, humans and hobgobs each have representatives that sit on a council to appoint the nominal leader - who, being elected, has just as much influence as he can squeeze out of his "vassals." The elvish incursions have given this "Prince of Princes" a justified desire for more central authority; if the allied tribes, clans and nations cannot rally under one banner, they stand little chance of keeping the elves at bay.
That's probably what will happen in the future, but not quite yet. I didn't clarify that the elves have come and are now consolidating their position and plotting their next moves, not pressing ever forward. They have time and patience. They are a threat, but one not seen as an major one. However, the time will come when unification or fracturing will decide the fate of nations. (Dun dun duuuun...)

---

Ędit: Planes:
I can't remember all the various planes the normal DnD cosmology has. :annoyed: Thus, I've been thinking of doing what Privateer Press did with the Iron Kingdoms, and having only two: The real, material world and the place where the dead go. Let's call them the World Above and the Underworld, because I don't want to stop to figure out proper names. (I might also have the elemental planes, the astral plane, or both.)

However, to prevent being an utter ripoff, I was considering that the Underworld actually exists under the World Above and everyone who tunnels deep enough will eventually wind up there. Similarly, if a crafty deader can avoid the guardians (which'll be quite the achievement), he can climb his way up to the World Above. The Underworld would be divided to a paradise-like region for the virtuous, a hellish place for the wicked and various shades of inbetweenry for the ones who don't fall to the two extremes. Probably will have a river of souls as well, if only for the cool image.

The Underworld will also be the home of all the outsiders you can bother to think of, so in addition to other dead folks, a deader will encounter all kinds of fiends and celestials. And don't think they all will happy with each other; Just like in the World Above, various beings will band together, meet resistance to other groups, make and break alliances and so on. really fun scenarios.] And yes, that includes the dead as well as the outsiders. So one could have, for example, an outright three-way war between a group of Neutral dead backed up by some chain devils versus an alliance between djinni and celestials versus a honkin' big dragon and its demon lackeys. I just have to figure out what happens when you kick the bucket when dead.

See, with an interesting afterlife, the game isn't over until the GM says so.

---

Okay, so the nature of magic, divinities and a bit about souls will have to wait 'till tomorrow. Have to go to whack people with boffers pretty soon.

Attilargh
2007-03-15, 01:09 PM
A habit for procrastination combined with school and homework equal nasty consequences for any ongoing online projects.

Anyhow, Souls:

All living creatures are born with souls. Even the most vile, depraved, downright Evil-with-a-capital-E Red Dragon probably has one. (A tarnished one, yes, but a soul nonetheless.) In short, a soul is everything that separates a human from a zombie. A creature's soul is also the one necessary component necessary for psionic, arcane or divine might (more on that later) and thus it's a pretty damn powerful thing to possess. Many beings, such as fiends, evil spellcasters and deities want souls to power their scheming.

Upon death, a creature's soul is freed from its body, and zips off to the Underworld to whatever fate it can forge for itself. That is, if the creature hasn't made a binding deal with anyone for its soul, such as selling it to an Erinyes, getting sacrificed for a black god or joining a religion. If it has, someone will probably be sent after the errant essence to bring it to its new owner's realm. Depending on the deal, that might be a very, very bad thing (as in the case of Evil beings) or a very, very good thing (as in the case of Good beings).

A soul is immortal in a sense: When the body (or, as in the case of the dead, their memory of a body) is killed, the soul is simply transported to the other world. If it is transferred from the World Above to the Underworld, it keeps all skills and knowledge the creature collected while living and continues functioning as was normal. If, however, the soul's body is slain in the Underworld, the soul in a way "resets" itself and is reincarnated as a newborn child. [Essentially, when a character drops dead in the World Above, he just shifts planes and continues on functioning normally. Minus his gear, obviously. But get offed in the Underworld and it's game over, man, game over.]

Oh, and in case you're wondering, yes, intelligent undead have their souls. While the Buffyverse is cool, this ain't it. :wink:

Ouch, headfirst into a Writer's Block +1 when I got to the nature of magic. Oh well. Comment, comment, comment, comment my fantastical ideas!

Draz74
2007-03-15, 01:17 PM
I will, but not quite yet. Flora and fauna are relatively minor details, after all. (I can't imagine myself asking the DM whether the jungle is more African or American.)

... I can.

Anyway, I'm hoping you decide on an American or Southeast Asian jungle-type, because I'm working on an African jungle setting. :smallwink:

And yeah, the massive stone ruins sounds like central America most, though India could work too. The dwarves could be Incas or Tibetians, depending which jungle you choose! And the "European elf conquisadors" thing fits with a Central American setting too.