PDA

View Full Version : Construct Familiars

Yogibear41
2014-09-15, 12:15 PM
Are there any construct Familiars I can obtain with just the improved familiar feat (no craft: construct so the ones from complete warrior are a no go) other than the homunculus (apparently you have to craft these too) or the clockwork mender from MM4?

In addition if I do choose the homonculus do I have to use the one from the MM or could I choose to use a different kind such as the ones from Eberron Campaign setting?

Bronk
2014-09-15, 12:44 PM
Dragon Magazine 341 has a bunch of construct familiars, and Dragon 299 has 'Golden the Clockwork Cat', which doesn't require a feat and can only be obtained through role playing if I remember right.

Ruethgar
2014-09-15, 12:52 PM
Dragon Magazine 280 has the Construct Familiar Feat if you want any of your normal familiars to be constructs instead.

Yogibear41
2014-09-15, 12:54 PM
Dragon Magazine 341 has a bunch of construct familiars, and Dragon 299 has 'Golden the Clockwork Cat', which doesn't require a feat and can only be obtained through role playing if I remember right.

You have to use craft: construct to make all of those unfortunanetly :smallfrown:

ShurikVch
2014-09-15, 01:02 PM
Gem Scarab (MMV), required 5th spellcaster level and Improved Familiar

Modron Monodrone (Dr#354) despite being of outer planes, not an outsider, but construct (extraplanar, lawful). Required lawful alignment, 5th level and Improved Familiar

Also, if you may combine Urban Companion of Urban Druid (animated object) with Arcane Hierophant, you will get construct Familiar-Companion

And the Techsmith PrC get Gondsman - not exactly Familiar, but still...

Bronk
2014-09-15, 01:43 PM
You have to use craft: construct to make all of those unfortunanetly :smallfrown:

Bummer. Not Golden though! He just sort of starts hanging out with you.

Uncle Pine
2014-09-15, 02:25 PM
I'm away from books at the moment so I can't check 1st party material, but Enciclopaedia Arcane - Familiars from Mongoose Publishing lists various rituals to bind exotics familiars. You may be interested in the Construct Familiar Ritual line: the only requirements are learning the appropriate ritual spell, paying 250 gp x CR of the familiar and 25 xp x CR and having the desired construct present at the time of the casting. You don't really need the construct but if you don't have it you have to supply gp and xp as normal for its creation (you don't need the Craft Construct feat!).

Yogibear41
2014-09-15, 03:51 PM
Uncle Pine this is just the kind of thing I need(actually had the book and forgot about it lol) hate to spend XP on stuff, but other than that it looks cool.

Thurbane
2014-09-15, 10:17 PM
If you're willing to go 3rd party, the Book of Familiars (http://www.amazon.com/The-Book-Of-Familiars-d20/dp/1931275289) (Troll Lord Games (http://www.trolllord.com/downloads/BookofFamiliarsPreview2.pdf)) has a whole bunch of info and additional types of familiars you can have. AFB, so not 100% sure if it includes any Construct types.