PDA

View Full Version : DMG Release pushed back to December 9th

cobaltstarfire
2014-09-15, 12:45 PM
Well, looks like a bunch of us are going to have to wait a little bit longer.

Linky to relevant article (http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/dmg-release-date)

The text of both books received a level of review and oversight that sets a new standard for D&D. We added an entire additional cycle of design and editing to ensure that the books were as close to perfect as humanly possible. The layout and visual design was the result of hours spent carefully handcrafting the books. That extra time proved to be a huge boon, as the designers had the chance to go through each book page by page to make sure everything fit perfectly.

Unfortunately, that additional effort came at the expense of the development schedule for the Dungeon Master's Guide.

SaintRidley
2014-09-15, 12:49 PM
The Great Modron March is great.

I can deal with waiting a bit.

CyberThread
2014-09-15, 12:53 PM
nnnhhhgggg......

minion references all day long, for the rest of the thread.

I wonder,what changes are being had, Ithinkthat table of contents that got leaked last week can be tossed out now.

Edge of Dreams
2014-09-15, 12:56 PM
I'd bet good money that they're taking into account feedback from the PHB on some of the features/options players were missing or confused about. I'm also hoping there will be a good section in the DMG explaining the philosophy behind some of the ambiguous rules in 5e and allowing the DM to create his or her own rulings.

Yorrin
2014-09-15, 12:59 PM
A sad thing to hear, but it makes sense. The DMG stuff is presumably the least playtested material, so it comes as no surprise that it's the furthest behind in development. I'm content to wait a few more weeks if they believe it's going to improve the final product.

Steel Mirror
2014-09-15, 01:19 PM
It's still out in time for Christmas, which is nice. I'll be buying it for a few of my friends this year, so it's nice that they'll get the best product possible.

huttj509
2014-09-15, 01:42 PM
A sad thing to hear, but it makes sense. The DMG stuff is presumably the least playtested material, so it comes as no surprise that it's the furthest behind in development. I'm content to wait a few more weeks if they believe it's going to improve the final product.

Not only the least playtested, but the book with the most content that's not mechanical, but impacts the rest. Things like:

Detailed encounter design suggestions
Advice on making rulings (going in different directions for different styles of games, for example)
Short/Long rests, how many, and how often (and what effects on the feel of play tweaking that will have)
More/less tactical play options

That sort of thing.

All those "until the next short rest" type things, for example, depend a lot on "Should you anticipate an hour downtime after each encounter? Each 2 encounters? No, there's no downtime, just wait till you sleep for the night?"

archaeo
2014-09-15, 06:59 PM
Hopefully, as a consolation prize, they'll push out the DM Basic Rules updates early. Otherwise, as people have said, I have no problem with this, really.

rlc
2014-09-15, 08:11 PM
So I guess this answers all of the people who complain about the staggered release schedule.

Mr.Moron
2014-09-15, 08:14 PM
Getting a good product slow is better than getting a bad one fast, and if it's bad anyway who cares when we get it?

Talyn
2014-09-15, 09:22 PM
I was bummed when I read that, but as other people on this thread have mentioned, I'd rather have a good quality product late than a poor product on time.

Baptor
2014-09-16, 12:52 AM
Willing to wait. Patience is a virtue. All that jazz. :smallbiggrin:

Occasional Sage
2014-09-16, 09:11 AM
Getting a good product slow is better than getting a bad one fast, and if it's bad anyway who cares when we get it?

Best phrasing ever.

Ranting Fool
2014-09-16, 09:43 AM

+1

That said I've been waiting quite awhile for Winds of Winter :P

wolfstone
2014-09-16, 11:59 AM
nnnhhhgggg......

minion references all day long, for the rest of the thread.

I wonder,what changes are being had, Ithinkthat table of contents that got leaked last week can be tossed out now.

I tried searching for that leaked table of contents, but can't find it anywhere. I know it's no longer relevant, but I'd still like to see it if it's still available. Does anyone have the link to it still?

Yuki Akuma
2014-09-16, 02:12 PM
To paraphrase Shigeru Miyamoto:

A delayed [book] is eventually good, but a rushed [book] is forever bad.

wolfstone
2014-09-16, 02:42 PM
I'm very slowly working on a Legend of Zelda-themed homebrew for D&D 5e.

If it doesn't work, Triforcing it. *rim shot*

Sir_Leorik
2014-09-16, 10:23 PM
The Great Modron March is great.

I can deal with waiting a bit.

But isn't the March a few Cycles early? :smallconfused: