PDA

View Full Version : How Good is Enchantment in 5E?

NecessaryWeevil
2014-09-15, 01:11 PM
I like the School of Enchantment abilities, but the usefulness of the school was limited in 3.5 due to the number of monsters that were immune. Can anyone with some 5E experience offer an opinion - what kind of mileage will I get out of taking this school and using lots of charm etc. spells?

Fwiffo86
2014-09-15, 01:28 PM
I like the School of Enchantment abilities, but the usefulness of the school was limited in 3.5 due to the number of monsters that were immune. Can anyone with some 5E experience offer an opinion - what kind of mileage will I get out of taking this school and using lots of charm etc. spells?

You can fear undead. That should be all you need to know about enchantment's viability.

Human Paragon 3
2014-09-15, 01:54 PM
You can fear undead. That should be all you need to know about enchantment's viability.

However many creatures once classed "mindless" are now "immune to charm." So keep that in mind.

CyberThread
2014-09-15, 03:36 PM
Here is a list of the wizards, enchantment options.

Friends Enchantment Cantrip
Charm Person Enchantment 1
Tasha's Hideous Laughter Enchantment 1
Sleep Enchantment 1
Suggestion Enchantment 2
Crown of Madness Enchantment 2
Hold Person Enchantment 2
Confusion Enchantment 4
Modify Memory Enchantment 5
Geas Enchantment 5
Dominate Person Enchantment 5
Hold Monster Enchantment 5
Mass Suggestion Enchantment 6
Otto's Irresistible Dance Enchantment 6
Power Word Stun Enchantment 8
Antipathy/Sympathy Enchantment 8
Feeblemind Enchantment 8
Dominate Monster Enchantment 8
Power Word Kill Enchantment 9

So , as you see, Enchantment is a mix of, I take control of you , and holding folks in place.

NecessaryWeevil
2014-09-15, 03:57 PM
Thanks, that's useful, but my question wasn't so much which spells it includes but how wide a range of targets I can affect.

EvilAnagram
2014-09-15, 05:17 PM
Thanks, that's useful, but my question wasn't so much which spells it includes but how wide a range of targets I can affect.

We can't really tell before the Monster Manual comes out. There aren't too many in the material we have out, but we don't have a lot of material out.