PDA

View Full Version : Crafting Questions

Confused Dad
2014-09-15, 01:33 PM
Quick crafting question:

Making a wand of a 1 level spell, caster level 1.

1 x 1 x 750 = 750 GP for a single Magic Missile.

Scenario: Spell is altered with a +2 spell level Metamagic. Since it is a level 3 spell, does it require a caster level of 5? , i.e. 3 x 5 x 750 = 11250 gp? What if it's made by an Artificer?

Now start with a level 0 spell (treated as 1/2 for crafting purposes). Is it a level 2 spell or 2.5? Is the caster level 1 or 3 or higher?

Werephilosopher
2014-09-15, 03:02 PM
Quick crafting question:

Making a wand of a 1 level spell, caster level 1.

1 x 1 x 750 = 750 GP for a single Magic Missile.

Scenario: Spell is altered with a +2 spell level Metamagic. Since it is a level 3 spell, does it require a caster level of 5? , i.e. 3 x 5 x 750 = 11250 gp? What if it's made by an Artificer?

Now start with a level 0 spell (treated as 1/2 for crafting purposes). Is it a level 2 spell or 2.5? Is the caster level 1 or 3 or higher?

I can't speak to the final prices you have, but using metamagic spells requires higher caster levels, so yeah, a level-one spell with a two-level metamagic increase requires a CL of 5. And a level-zero spell with a two-level MM increase counts as level-two, not level-2.5.

Confused Dad
2014-09-15, 10:23 PM
Thanks, so level 0 spell with a 2 level metamagic enhancement is a level 2 spell and minimum caster level is 3, so 2x3x750=4500 gp wand. Crafting cost is 2250, 3 days, 180 xp.

Reducing crafting gp costs:
DMG page 282 says that if an item is restricted to an alignment or class, reduce the cost by 30%. Can you restrict it to an alignment AND a class and reduce by 51%?

Next item on reducing crafting:
Lesser Restoration is a Cleric/Druid 2, Paladin 1 spell. If a wand is crafted using the Cleric list, cost for the wand is 4500 (2x3x750) is it the same spell if the wand is crafted off the paladin list and is the market cost 1x1x750 or since the paladin cant cast level 1 paladin spells until character level 5, is it 1x5x750 = 3750?

Sliver
2014-09-15, 11:07 PM
That depends, are you the DM or the player?

While not RAW, the reduced price due to restriction is meant to be used after crafting, for the purpose of trade. It's harder to find a buyer, so it's worth less, but not easier to make.

It's a solid tool for DMs to equip baddies without fearing players to use the equipment themselves, assuming no UMD.

Curbstomp
2014-09-15, 11:34 PM
1. A crafter can always make an item at the minimum CL required rather than their actual CL.

2. A Paladin wand maker would make a cheaper wand of Lesser Restoration as a 1st level spell with a price of 750gp, but said character would have to actually be higher level to be a wand maker at all. See caster level for a paladin and Craft Wand prerequisites. This would not be a commonly available item unless you world is populated by a far higher average level of NPC's than in a standard setting. Also why is the Paladin a merchant?

3. Disposable items like wands or potions are not meant to be altered by metamagic in crafting in standard with the exception of specific campaign settings. RAW on the metamagic feats does not allow this use.

Rijan_Sai
2014-09-16, 12:05 AM
3. Disposable items like wands or potions are not meant to be altered by metamagic in crafting in standard with the exception of specific campaign settings. RAW on the metamagic feats does not allow this use.

Magic Items and Metamagic Spells (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#metamagicFeats)

With the right item creation feat, you can store a metamagic version of a spell in a scroll, potion, or wand. Level limits for potions and wands apply to the spell’s higher spell level (after the application of the metamagic feat). A character doesn’t need the metamagic feat to activate an item storing a metamagic version of a spell.

RAW actually very much does allow this.

Confused Dad
2014-09-16, 12:16 PM
I am the player, an Artificer. I am making the wand to use, not to sell. Since I am making it for my own personal use, reducing the value by making it of my own alignment and class is advantageous, not only to save money but also to deter it from being used against me or my party.

Segev
2014-09-16, 12:52 PM
Spell Completion and Trigger items typically won't be allowed to use the "retricted by alignment and class" rules, because they're already restricted by the fact that they're charged and that they can only be used by somebody who has the spell on their class spell list.

Ruethgar
2014-09-16, 01:11 PM
It should be noted that almost none of the metamagic feats alter spell level, only the minimum spell slot. The only ways to alter spell level are Sanctum Spell, Heighten Spell and its derivatives, and Whispering Way spells. So a level zero spell with Persist Spell(+6) is a level zero spell with a minimum caster level of whenever you can cast 6th level spells(normally 11 or 12).

Segev
2014-09-16, 01:24 PM
It should be noted that almost none of the metamagic feats alter spell level, only the minimum spell slot. The only ways to alter spell level are Sanctum Spell, Heighten Spell and its derivatives, and Whispering Way spells. So a level zero spell with Persist Spell(+6) is a level zero spell with a minimum caster level of whenever you can cast 6th level spells(normally 11 or 12).

True, but the rules still calculate the cost of a magic item using a Persistant Detect Magic as if it were a 6th level spell, despite the fact that it's technically a 0th level spell that requires a 6th level slot to cast.