PDA

View Full Version : What provokes?

Slipperychicken
2014-09-15, 02:09 PM
Leaving a threatened area provokes in 5e. What else does?

I looked through my GM's copy of the PHB, and can't find other actions which provoke opportunity attacks. I would think standing up would, but I can't find anything which says so. Same goes for spells, scrolls, first aid, and potions.

Help?

hawklost
2014-09-15, 02:14 PM
Just leaving threatening area provokes. (Yes, by RAW you can run a circle around an enemy and not provoke an OA)

One exception is the Feats

Mage Slayer: Then casting within 5 feat of the person with Mage Slayer provokes.
Polearm Master: When creature enters your threat area, they provoke.

those are the only two exceptions and they require a Feat.

Note, some creatures might get special rules also.

Corinath
2014-09-15, 02:17 PM
I'm AFB, but I'm pretty sure attacking a target 5 feet from you with a bow as a ranged attack provokes as well.

Could be wrong though.

hawklost
2014-09-15, 02:19 PM
I'm AFB, but I'm pretty sure attacking a target 5 feet from you with a bow as a ranged attack provokes as well.

Could be wrong though.

Nope, just gives you disadvantage on your attack. Basic page 73 right column under Ranged Attacks

Kadarai
2014-09-15, 02:21 PM

Could be wrong though.

Nope, it just makes you attack with disadvantage, as does any type of ranged attack made while you are within 5 feet of an enemy

Person_Man
2014-09-15, 03:49 PM
Doesn't the Monk or somebody also have the Opportunist class ability? I'm away from books at the moment.

Corinath
2014-09-15, 04:16 PM
Doesn't the Monk or somebody also have the Opportunist class ability? I'm away from books at the moment.

Good catch!

Way of the Shadow Monk, level 17. Opportunist.

"[...] Whenever a creature within 5 feet of you is hit by an attack made by a creature other than you, you can use your reaction to make a melee attack against that creature."

Shadow
2014-09-15, 06:43 PM
The Sentinel feat creates another exception to the general OA rules as well.

Yagyujubei
2014-09-15, 07:42 PM
as does Polearm master, allowing you to atk when an enemy ENTERS your threat range as well as when it exits.

eh someone already said this....fiddlesticks

TheOOB
2014-09-16, 02:00 AM
An important technical consideration, nothing "provokes" and attack of opportunity, a character may make an attack of opportunity when someone leaves their melee reach. It's the attacker, not the defender, who determines when they can use the ability.

Mandrake
2014-09-16, 02:15 AM
An important technical consideration, nothing "provokes" and attack of opportunity, a character may make an attack of opportunity when someone leaves their melee reach. It's the attacker, not the defender, who determines when they can use the ability.

Your post provokes me, and maybe others too, to make a sarcastic or witty retort. But whether we'll do that, or not, is up to us.

(Just a colorful disagreeing, no offense meant.)

TheOOB
2014-09-16, 02:51 AM
The difference is that in 3e an action you take you allow someone else to take an AoO against you, the AoO's source was almost always your(the defenders move). In 5e your ability allows you to make an AoO under a specific set of circumstances. The AoO's source is always(so far) the attackers.

It's a little semantic, but a careful reading and proper understanding of the semantics of the rules can prevents future rules problems.

rlc
2014-09-16, 05:24 AM

Nope, it technically still provokes the attack because you don't necessarily have to react to somebody provoking you. Whether or not they use the word "provoke" this time around is a different story.

Mandrake
2014-09-16, 01:25 PM
I still disagree.

The difference is that in 3e an action you take you allow someone else to take an AoO against you, the AoO's source was almost always your(the defenders move). In 5e your ability allows you to make an AoO under a specific set of circumstances. The AoO's source is always(so far) the attackers.

It is still the same: a provoking trigger leads you to use your ability, was in 3e, was in 4e, is in 5e.

Except that now you, at first, only get provoked when someone leaves an area you threaten, while before it was more than that.
There is no defender, no attacker - there is a creature who's turn it is (A) and a creature whose turn it isn't (B). When creature A does something that provokes creature B (note that A must do something to provoke this), creature B can (as always was) choose to do something it can to creature A.