PDA

View Full Version : Who is Hadar?

CyberThread
2014-09-15, 03:00 PM
So, Warlocks you will notice get two spells based on being from a thing called Hadar. So here we go with a little background.

Hadar, or otherwise known as Ben-Hadar. Is a Water Elemental "Prince" , not to be confused with the likes of Istishia who is an actual primordial or often confused for a God of Water. Hardar, has a power level more akin to a demi-god or elemental general. Hadar, is a good aligned prince who lives on the elemental plane of water, having his home located within the coral reef of Sseurgass(Not much info given about the location), and an elemental that is often busy guiding and keeping waters clean, finding pollution to be an evil act.

While good aligned, his attitude is that of a loner and often confused for a neutral or sometimes even evil power, due to it. Often feuding with other good aligned water princes, his behaviors is often confusing to a mortal mind who is not a direct follower or worshiper of him.Those that follow Hadar that are not mortal worshipers tend to be, good-aligned water elementals, water mephits, water weirds, tritons, darfellan, ocean giants, elder tojanidas, water monoliths, water genasi, and aquatic elves.

:Players and DM Use: So here we have a warlock , if they decide to chose the pact of the fey, can put a very special spin on what they do. Instead of the typical forest inspiration, you can have a heavily leaning water warlock. You still get your fey, you still get your good, and you get an entirely different set of motivations. You have a elemental who is powerful enough to grant abilties, but not a god or on the power level of a primordial.

A warlock who wishes to follow this particular path should think of ideas that : Fight against evil, Fight against water pollution, have a hatred fire elemental and Kossuth. Find ways to separate your spell list and decisions to be more aquatic and not just be a mere land walker.

For DM's this opens yourself up to a power that has some background but not overwhelming, so you can fill in the blanks to fit your campaign. If you are doing a underwater, or something near the shoreline, consider these other power players as something to do with Hadar.

He has a truce with Choron , the boatman of the famous river of styx

Even though good aligned, fueds and fights with other good aligned water elemental princes

Friendships with Deep Sashelas, Eadro, Persana, and the Water Lion.

Eladrin queen Morwel is his lover.

Good Friends with Slaad Lord Rennbuu, who is infamous for being a walking rod of wonders.

MustacheFart
2014-09-15, 03:33 PM
So, Warlocks you will notice get two spells based on being from a thing called Hadar. So here we go with a little background.

Hadar, or otherwise known as Ben-Hadar. Is a Water Elemental "Prince" , not to be confused with the likes of Istishia who is an actual primordial or often confused for a God of Water. Hardar, has a power level more akin to a demi-god or elemental general. Hadar, is a good aligned prince who lives on the elemental plane of water, having his home located within the coral reef of Sseurgass(Not much info given about the location), and an elemental that is often busy guiding and keeping waters clean, finding pollution to be an evil act.

While good aligned, his attitude is that of a loner and often confused for a neutral or sometimes even evil power, due to it. Often feuding with other good aligned water princes, his behaviors is often confusing to a mortal mind who is not a direct follower or worshiper of him.Those that follow Hadar that are not mortal worshipers tend to be, good-aligned water elementals, water mephits, water weirds, tritons, darfellan, ocean giants, elder tojanidas, water monoliths, water genasi, and aquatic elves.

:Players and DM Use: So here we have a warlock , if they decide to chose the pact of the fey, can put a very special spin on what they do. Instead of the typical forest inspiration, you can have a heavily leaning water warlock. You still get your fey, you still get your good, and you get an entirely different set of motivations. You have a elemental who is powerful enough to grant abilties, but not a god or on the power level of a primordial.

A warlock who wishes to follow this particular path should think of ideas that : Fight against evil, Fight against water pollution, have a hatred fire elemental and Kossuth. Find ways to separate your spell list and decisions to be more aquatic and not just be a mere land walker.

For DM's this opens yourself up to a power that has some background but not overwhelming, so you can fill in the blanks to fit your campaign. If you are doing a underwater, or something near the shoreline, consider these other power players as something to do with Hadar.

He has a truce with Choron , the boatman of the famous river of styx

Even though good aligned, fueds and fights with other good aligned water elemental princes

Friendships with Deep Sashelas, Eadro, Persana, and the Water Lion.

Eladrin queen Morwel is his lover.

Good Friends with Slaad Lord Rennbuu, who is infamous for being a walking rod of wonders.

I always thought it was this guy:

http://hodorscopes.com/img/hodor-v2.png

tzar1990
2014-09-15, 03:36 PM
Actually, I think they're using the 4E version of Hadar - the extinguished cinder of a star, trapped within a black nebula, associated with terrible fluttering shadows that seek to devour light and warmth.

This fits a lot better with the Hadar-associated spells in the Player's Handbook.

EDIT: Hadar and the other stars of the Star Pact get a mention in this article: http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/dragon/366/366_Warlocks.pdf

CyberThread
2014-09-15, 07:31 PM
Like my hard at better

Talyn
2014-09-15, 09:24 PM
OP - was that from something (an old sourcebook, etc.) or did you come up with that yourself?

CyberThread
2014-09-15, 09:39 PM
2e and 4e sources.

D.U.P.A.
2015-07-06, 08:07 AM
I thought that Hadar is more like a GOO rather than Fey.

Ralanr
2015-07-06, 08:57 AM
I thought that Hadar is more like a GOO rather than Fey.

Me too, considering how Eldrich the spells were.

And tentacles. Those also help.

Inevitability
2015-07-06, 10:41 AM
As Tzar mentioned, they're using the 4th edition version; a dead star floating in a large nebula that drains life from its victims. So yes, GOO.

langal
2015-07-06, 02:00 PM
This is interesting and brings up possibilties of Elemental Pacts. I suppose Fire/Fiend mesh already. But a Pact with the Melnibonean Elementals could be interesting.

Estrillian
2015-07-07, 01:00 PM
The PDF mentioned above is now at http://www.wizards.com/files/366_Warlocks.pdf

Snowskeeper
2017-07-13, 12:05 PM
Like my hard at better

So regardless of whether you like him better or not, the Hadar referred to in Hunger of Hadar and Arms of Hadar is pretty clearly the Hadar mentioned by the others. Hunger's name alone heavily suggests that it's cinder-star Hadar; add onto that the explicit references in that spell's description to the space between stars, and the fact that Arms of Hadar outright-calls it "the Dark Hunger," and this isn't really even debatable.

I like the idea of the patron you've described; just think you should change the claim that this is the Hadar mentioned in those spells. It's very obviously not.

Aett_Thorn
2017-07-13, 12:19 PM
So regardless of whether you like him better or not, the Hadar referred to in Hunger of Hadar and Arms of Hadar is pretty clearly the Hadar mentioned by the others. Hunger's name alone heavily suggests that it's cinder-star Hadar; add onto that the explicit references in that spell's description to the space between stars, and the fact that Arms of Hadar outright-calls it "the Dark Hunger," and this isn't really even debatable.

I like the idea of the patron you've described; just think you should change the claim that this is the Hadar mentioned in those spells. It's very obviously not.

What's with all of the thread necro'ing today? You know that you revived a two year-old thread, right? And were replying to an almost three year-old post.

Snowskeeper
2017-07-13, 01:17 PM
What's with all of the thread necro'ing today? You know that you revived a two year-old thread, right? And were replying to an almost three year-old post.

I didn't, actually; misread the last post's date. Sorry about that. Got here via Google.

EDIT: Although, I mean, I chose the right avatar for it.

Vaz
2017-07-13, 03:38 PM
I thought he held the door?

ImproperJustice
2017-07-13, 07:05 PM
I thought he held the door?

This!
Times like 1000....:)

Arcangel4774
2017-07-13, 08:12 PM
Not to derail too much,but how would one pronounce Sseurgass. The way I'm reading it, it sounds way to close to sewer-gas which I can't imagine is right?

Rusvul
2017-07-13, 10:46 PM
I'd go with 'syur-gass' or 'say-er-gass.'

nickl_2000
2017-07-14, 07:04 AM
I want to know why he is so hungry?

Jaxter Gronaldi
2017-07-14, 07:08 AM
Because he is a giant octopus that gets stuck in portals cuz he's fat.

Theodoxus
2017-07-14, 07:51 AM
Not to derail too much,but how would one pronounce Sseurgass. The way I'm reading it, it sounds way to close to sewer-gas which I can't imagine is right?

I assume it's a play on Sargasso... Though I think you're correct, and it would be pronounced sewergas...

Millstone85
2017-07-14, 08:15 AM
I want to know why he is so hungry?As said before, Hadar used to be a literal star, but now it burns no more. More than hungry, Hadar is cold and it is after your heat.

JackPhoenix
2017-07-15, 06:15 AM
I want to know why he is so hungry?

Because it's basically sentient black hole.

Hooligan
2017-07-15, 07:03 AM
Because he is a giant octopus that gets stuck in portals cuz he's fat.

I have several of those on my campus. They also live in sewer gas

Millstone85
2017-07-15, 09:01 AM
My three favourites among the "4e stars" are:

https://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/istria/images/e/e1/All.jpg/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/300From Monster Manual 3. This is basically Marvel's Ego the Living Planet if it were angry it didn't get to be the focus world of a D&D setting. Allabar is called Opener of the Way because it turned itself into a hub for other space horrors. Best part, the thing has a stat block!

http://i.imgur.com/tsSSep1.pngMostly known for the spells named after it (arms of Hadar, brood of Hadar, hunger of Hadar...) and described a teensy bit more in Dragon #366. It is indeed a sort of tentacled black hole, and I like to think it longs after the sun it used to be before its corruption by the dark nebula of Ihbar.

http://i.imgur.com/Se2pVBBm.jpgFrom Dragon #381. Have you ever seen one of those sketches where a time traveller pop-ups and says "Stop, don't eat that sandwich! It will snowball into a storm of butterflies that will destroy the universe!". Well, Ulban is pretty much that, in comet form. Can you trust its prophecies? What will you have to commit in the name of saving the future?

furby076
2017-07-16, 01:27 AM
Sorry guys and gals, you are all wrong.

Hadar is my cousin. 5 years older than me. Nice guy. Used to own a high end restaurant, but now works in real estate development. Has 3 sons and a nice wife. He is no immortal, god, etc.while he cant grant powers, he is good at encouraging people.