PDA

View Full Version : Expedition to ruins of Greyhawk?

ramrod
2014-09-15, 03:28 PM
In two weeks my group will be starting a new campaign and I it ally I selected the expedition to Greyhawk book.

I've read through it and it seems pretty interesting but wanted to put out for some other people's opinions on it, especially people who have played through it.

It's a big time investment. Playing once a month means it could potentially stretch out for a hell of a long time. Just dont want it to be a poor choice!

ramrod
2014-09-16, 12:07 PM
Nothing? :(

Khedrac
2014-09-16, 01:02 PM
I have run it twice and I think both groups enjoyed themselves. Depending on your optimisation level and player skill some bits can be really tough (such as when the party wizard forgets he just learnt teleport). Other bits are the reverse, such as the NPC marshal is a total joke.

The biggest problems are probably the limitations of Greyhawk as presented shopping-wise. Also my wizard really wanted to join the Greyhawk guild but for reasons you will discover I needed that to be delayed.

The first party I ran it for was a little overpowered, but even they had some scares, and I almost got a "kill" result on a character famed for being able to survive anything (this was the Living Greyhawk adaptation). The second party was created for it (though we went on to Castle Maure with a different DM) and had a more balanced time (mainly - stupid wizard getting 2 members killed with that piece of forgetting) - also running it th second time meant I changed a few things that did not work quite as written.

All in all, it's pretty good.

ramrod
2014-09-17, 01:48 PM
Glad to see if was good enough to not scrap after one run through :) my party is half optimised. Sorc and bard are the only casting classes which concerns me a little.

I've given the the chance to totally respec so trying to convince the sorc the go wizard type casting.

What is living Greyhawk?

Khedrac
2014-09-17, 04:14 PM
Living Greyhawk was a Living Campaign set in Greyhawk. It folded when 4th Ed came out.
The LG adaption of EttRoCG basically said that for LG characters not to use any of the side quests and split the adventure into 4 sections which could b played separately. It was RAW 3. with some extra restrictions and modified xp rules.