PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Please critique my spellbook

NecessaryWeevil
2014-09-15, 05:35 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm building a 1st-level High Elf Wizard for an unknown starter adventure in a generic setting. Other party members are probably a Monk, a Ranger and a frontline warrior of some sort. I'd like to get your opinion on my spellbook:

Cantrips:
Mage Hand (Seems like it would be useful for puzzles, opening suspicious doors and chests, etc.)
Minor Illusion (Illusions can be powerful and versatile if the DM lets them be so)
Prestidigitation (For personal cleanliness at the very least. The character concept is an proud and aloof member of a disgraced noble house, so upholding the dignity and grace of the nobility and of the elven race are important. Also will be using to light candles with a snap of the fingers and otherwise attempting to drive home the impressive mysteriousness of wizards)
True Strike (Since I haven't take any combat spells. This will let me attack with my shortbow every other turn, with advantage.)

1st Level:
Sleep (Take down goons quickly to even the playing field)
Silent Image (A better illusion - see above)
Identify (Probably only for Rituals)
Grease (To help the melee guys)
Unseen Servant (More utility than Mage Hand, can be used as a Ritual)
Find Familiar (Good for scouting, probably also Ritual only)

I've shied away from direct damage, thinking the fighting types can do that better than me. I would have taken more shutdown/battlefield control spells if I could find good ones, but Tasha's save-every-turn is disappointing and Charm Person only applies to humanoids, and only stops them from attacking me - not the rest of my party. Color Spray was tempting - blind 6d8 worth of opponents - but at a 1 round duration I'm not sure it's useful.

Your comments and suggestions would be greatly appreciated; I've never played 5E.

FadeAssassin
2014-09-15, 06:20 PM
If your play style matches how you want to use those spells, then it's fine. I personally would go for at least one cantrip for damage (maybe getting rid of mage hand? since you have Unseen Servant) But if you think your fighters can protect you it's good. Also you may want a shield spell of some sort.

Shadow
2014-09-15, 06:31 PM
I agree with the one damaging cantrip suggestion.
I would trade it out with true strike.
I find true strike basically useless except for eldritch knights after 7th level.

Consider:
Attacking with advantage every other round is the exact same as attacking every round. Except by attacking every round, you have the possibility to hit every round as well. You're still rolling 2d20 over the course of two rounds, but with TS you only get one chance to deal any damage during those two rounds. And if you cast TS, and then on your following round choose to cast another concentration spell instead of attacking.... then you wasted an entire round doing basically nothing.
True strike is all but useless in my eyes, except as a readied part of an opener in conjunction with another attack or spell requiring an attack roll.

Since you're playing an elf, you get bow proificiency. I'd use a longbow until your cantrip outdamages it (which will probably be 5th or 11th level depending on your specialization and Dex, which aren't mentioned).

NecessaryWeevil
2014-09-15, 07:31 PM
Thanks, good points.