PDA

View Full Version : PitP-Secret of the Velvet door: XPDoDC&FM (a.k.a. The Mineral Hunt)

Xhosant
2014-09-15, 06:27 PM
Who'd have guessed? Apparently, those Cards you found and used to give your Persona extra tricks can actually be made, instead of existing spontaneously! And so here you are, on Jessica's behest, after the stuff they make them from (and who'd have guessed, it's found in a nasty, Shadow-ridden corner of the Velvet World instead of a sunny meadow by Mt. Fuji).

Ignoring that nonsense, and the two metal backpacks changing shoulders among the group, you're on your way to a bunch of tiny outcroppings of the mineral in question. You remember the apparatuses' function, in Alexandra's words: "3 steps. Separation, Processing, Extraction."

You have no idea what that means, honestly, but supposedly the gear does, and that's sufficient.

Mokou-tan
2014-09-15, 06:55 PM
Tsubaki's turn comes around to carry a backpack and she smiles as she takes it. Oh my, these are heavy. I'll shoulder this burden the rest of the way so the others won't have to. "This isn't that bad, don't worry about me needing to switch with anyone any time soon."

Kioku
2014-09-15, 07:12 PM
Asami glances at Kyoko with a look that speaks of concern for Tsubaki's well being. Isn't that bad? "Hopefully that won't be too long. Won't we be getting close soon?" Her gaze darts around constantly, keeping watch for Shadows from her place a few meters ahead.

For the record, because it'll come up if I don't mention now, Succubus is the active sub-persona.

Philemonite
2014-09-16, 05:33 AM
Annoyed by her company, Sandra keeps complaining as she follows the girls, making sure she doesn't do any of the heavy lifting.
"I can't believe that bitch had the nerve to ask us for assistance." With her words dripping with venom she lowers her voice to whisper to herself. "And I can't believe Brian asked me to assist this idiots."
"I hope you lemmings know what you are doing. You don't even have a leader, do you?"

I don't really remember the color I used for Sandra, I think it was blue.
Since Rebecca is not revealed as persona user yet she will appear once the action starts.

banthesun
2014-09-16, 06:05 AM
Kyoko met Asami's eyes and looked over to Tsubaki. She'd though these backpacks were pretty heavy, was Tsubaki just that strong?

"Thanks, that does help." Kyoko pulled along close to Asami and glanced back at Sandra. "I sure wish Tsubaki could make her help too, though," she wispered

Kioku
2014-09-16, 06:43 AM
Asami narrows her eyes unseen at the front. Tsubaki is the most experienced in battle, but seems to still have trouble understanding things past the physical sometimes. Kyoko doesn't seem the type to *want* to lead, if she'd prefer to delegate that task. Tamamo and I can strategize and consider the targets' abilities, but I'm essentially incapacitated after our first few. None of us really can be this 'leader' she wants, but she will be a liability if we don't earn her respect before then, as rival, ally or otherwise. She spins lightly on her feet to face Sandra with a mocking smile. "If you really don't believe that your usual leader made the right decision sending you, then I'm sure that your great wisdom in how we should go about our task would be just as valuable as his opinion of your usefulness to it, hmm?" Implied complement, or self-doubled insult? Which she chooses to take should be most fun to watch...

Philemonite
2014-09-16, 06:51 AM
"Don't mess with me little girl, I will bury you alive. And I mean that literally."
She specializes in Earth elemental skills.:smallwink:
"Besides, I don't take the lead, that's the best way to get killed. I stay in the back where I can do most harm. But you could make a good distraction for the shadows."

Kioku
2014-09-16, 07:13 AM
"Me?" Asami lets out a slightly off giggle. "Oh, no, the leader here is someone they'll certainly be more worried about." She gives a meaningful glance toward Tsubaki and smirks. "Although I'm sure I'd love to witness our dance some time as well, if you insist." Whether because of being so much closer to her Other Self on this side of the Door, or simply having fun trying to sound out Sandra, she winks and blows a kiss.

Philemonite
2014-09-16, 07:22 AM
"Honey I don't mess with lemmings." She takes a short pause before continuing. "They break easily."

banthesun
2014-09-16, 10:09 AM
With Asami and Sandra arguing about leaders, Kyoko takes the chance to slip away. She definitely didn't want to be involved in this argument. If it had been up to her, she would have probably suggested Tsubaki as the leader, she seemed to know what she was doing in combat. Kyoko felt lucky she hadn't brought it up though. This Sandra girl was only adding more ammunition to Kyoko's "all other persona users are crazy" theory. Shifting her pack, she made her way towards Tsubaki, perhaps subconciously seeking her protection...

Xhosant
2014-09-16, 12:35 PM
"If you guys are done, you should about be there."

True enough, several stalagmite-like formations dot the immediate area. You spot a pair about 8 meters apart, as close as one's gonna get. All that's left is to deploy the devices on them.

"If things get hairy, which they might, you can probably tap into the veins you're extracting for help", Alexander advises.

Ok, rules twist: besides front and back lines, we got left and right flanks. The formations are one in each. You cannot intercept flanks from the front, moving to them from an adjacent zone is a minor, using the formations (rather, the ability in them) is a standard and you must be in its zone.

Mokou-tan
2014-09-16, 04:49 PM
Tsubaki sighs at the conversation behind her. "Keep being hostile amongst one another and I'll find you on the outside, and I don't need magic to put someone in the ground." Planning to rule them with fear, little hero? Not really, I just don't want to put up with that girl's talking much more. It would be faster to just shatter her jaw, though. The little warrior puts the metal backpack near a stalagmite and reaches into her own bag, withdrawing four bottles of water. She tosses one to each person. "Drink up. Hunger and thirst decrease your strength."

Philemonite
2014-09-16, 05:04 PM
"I don't use magic. You don't even know what a persona is, do you? But, if a duel is what you want I will be happy to show you what I can do. At least one of you is smart enough to stay silent."

Before Sandra has a chance to spew some more insults you hear a voice from the darkness.
"Shut up Sandra, or I'll put an arrow through your heart, assuming you have one. And you know I don't miss, you have seen me at the archery training."
As the girl steps out of the darkness you can see that she is holding a bow that has a strange white glow. You can see it in her eyes, she is serious.

Kioku
2014-09-16, 05:10 PM
Hostile? Asami quirks an eyebrow. I wasn't doing or saying anything hostile... Ooh! She's taking the no-nonsense type leader approach! Excellent, I'll go along with that! She shrugs and catches the water bottle, moving to set up the other unit. Tactics already run through her head in case they're attacked - a strong likelihood in this place. A small snicker escapes her. Pity that *you* weren't smart enough to then, eh Sandra?

banthesun
2014-09-17, 10:59 AM
After carefully removing her pack, Kyoko took the water from Tsubaki and opened it.

Tsubaki was carrying a bunch of water bottles too? She must really be as strong as she says!

"Thanks, you really didn'- Ah!"

Kyoko let out a cry of surprise as the other girl stepped from the shadows. She pulled close to Tsubaki and Asami and starts summoning Mimi. Had she come for a fight, perhaps to steal the materials they were extracting? Kyoko glanced at Sandra to see if she was about to attack.

"I hope she hasn't gotten us into anything..."

Xhosant
2014-09-19, 10:16 AM
Alexander's voice came from the communicators, disquieted, but more annoyed than alarmed.

"What's the hold-up? And who is the newcomer?"

He said this in the communicator's open mode, so it was quite likely she had heard him, too.

Philemonite
2014-09-19, 10:59 AM
"Look who decided to grow a persona. And a spine, apparently. Tell the bitch that her bestie is here. Without an invitation, apparent."
She takes a short pause before continuing.
"If you weren't the captain of the archery club I would think you might hurt yourself with that. Wait, you aren't the captain anymore. What happened, did they finally figure out William was better? Or, should I say they figured out you were worse?"

Kioku
2014-09-19, 11:34 AM
Asami finishes setting up the far device, and looks to see if the other is set up, so that they can be activated at once - no point in taking needless additional risks by activating one and having it make things... difficult to set up the other. "Apparently, an archery club ex-captain," she says quietly into the communicator from her relatively-distant position. "There is no hold-up though." Interesting. Does everyone know each other in these circles?

Xhosant
2014-09-19, 11:49 AM
"Oh, her. Unexpected that she would be here. Alright, ask her if she's here to help. Tell her she'll get the usual cut."

This was directed to every communicator, Asami's included, but maybe, if it hadn't, she'd have noticed more of the slight motion she perceived in the dark.

Philemonite
2014-09-19, 01:22 PM
"Did you hear that Rebecca, the Robot-Boy approves. And he didn't even know you swing our way."
Rebecca's refusal to acknowledge Sandra's words makes Sandra furious, but she still pays no attention to her. Instead, she approaches Tsubaki, presuming that she is leading the team.
"How can I help?"

Mokou-tan
2014-09-19, 02:20 PM
Tsubaki greets Rebecca with a confident smile. I like this one a lot more than the other one. "Well, for now we wait while these things work. Though, likely Shadows will show up any minute to be a pain in the rear. I'm not sure how heavy a hit you can take, but if something tries to get physical, feel free to stand behind me." Tsubaki calls forth her spirit weapon in preparation while speaking. "Aside from that, I'm assuming you know how to handle yourself in a situation like this. Glad to work with you."

Kioku
2014-09-19, 06:08 PM
Asami's eyes, literally incapable of ignoring unanticipated motion outside of a focus state due to years of Tamamo's insistence on watching her surroundings, flick to the darkness and she frowns. I don't know for sure *what* made me look over there, but knowing this place... "Not any minute. Any second." She says, staring toward where the movement came from. "Archer-san, what are you good at in ten words or less?" Even as she asks, tactics are again racing through her mind.

Tsubaki will take nothing less than the front line. I'll be right up there with her to keep her from being cursed and block magic unless Ueda-san can; in that case we three should stay together there. Sandra is an unknown factor, but the implications that she uses magic are there, by whatever name, and put in the ground... it's probably related. Much as I hate to say it, if any of us can boost her offensive abilities, we should. If more than two of the enemy focus on physical attacks, I must see if Ueda-san can collaborate with me for a Matarunda or Dormina, which should give us breathing room to watch our flanks without worrying about whether Tsubaki can reach us there. We should still move in pairs where possible, with whoever can compensate for the other. Take out Shadows that can heal first, then physical, since only one of us can withstand them and we may have to split up. Archer-san adds another unknown factor, but hopefully...

banthesun
2014-09-20, 02:16 AM
When it was clear they wouldn't have to fight the newcomer, Kyoko relaxed. Well, Sandra still seemed to want to fight her, but perhaps that was just how Sandra was. Kyoko was still a bit on edge, but stepped foward to greet her.

"Sorry, you surprised me. I'm Ueda Kyoko."

Kyoko follows Asami's gaze when she flicks her head to the movement. Kyoko couldn't be sure if she saw anything in the darkness, but this place was definitely creeping her out. She summoned her spirit weapon, and took a low stance, peering out into the darkness.

Summon Mimi in Kusi Mitama aspect, unless Asami wants to fuse with Succubus

Xhosant
2014-09-21, 05:27 AM
As the second machine springs to life, you stand there, alarmed, looking around for the perceived threat.

If memory serves, the machines are currently separating the deposits' energies from whatever part is underground, and that shouldn't yet attract attention from the shadows.

But you are too busy to care about that, as a moment passes... and another...

Until a shape comes into view. At first, you think you're looking at a matt black shield, for the short instant before seeing the golem-like Shadow behind it, its forearms melded on the shield's back. its bulky, stony appearance evokes images of an impenetrable wall.

Behind it, you can see an odd shape, which becomes clearer as its blade bursts into thunder and illuminates it. Not unlike a djinn's link to its lamp, two tails stem from a small, black puddle, entwined and spiraling until they thicken into two bodies. The right-most wields the thunder-coated greatsword in its right hand, while the fingers of its left are intertwined with its partner's right hand. This one's left hand is occupied by a rod surrounded by two spirals, which somehow remind you of serpents.

In cases where I couldn't find what you have Summoned (Asami, ), I'll use your base Agi for initiative and we'll adapt it as you clarify. Do point out the inevitable mistakes :smalltongue:

Asami: [roll0]
Tsubaki: [roll1]
Kyoko: [roll2]
Emperor: [roll3]
Lover: [roll4]
Tower: [roll5]

Can you roll your own, Boss?

Tsubaki and the archer start on the left flank, Kyoko on the right, the rest as you see fit in the middle.

"I'm getting two hostiles. Be careful, they seem stronger than average."

Kioku
2014-09-21, 06:00 AM
For the record, because it'll come up if I don't mention now, Succubus is the active sub-persona.
"Two? Does that mean that the pair in the back are joined? This could be bad if they draw on each others' strengths. We should see if we can separate them somehow." Once again into the depths of memory and emotion. I am thou! The form of Tamamo-no-Mae coalesces around Asami in an overlay, becoming more-real looking than she is once again. "A Tower at the front again? This seems so familiar," the pair laugh in resonance with each other. "Don't worry. You can rest while we attend those you would deny to us." A deep blue mist flows forth while Asami shudders and squeezes her eyes shut for a moment with a pained look, but on the whole seems to react far better than last time.

Dream Haze vs Tower; [roll0], -2 for Sleep effect. Damage [roll1] +1/5 SA
Minor action to move to front center from right flank.

Xhosant
2014-09-21, 06:12 AM
Kyoko center, Asami flank!

initiative:
Tower(21)
Kyoko(18)
Emperor(17)
Lover(15)
Tsubaki&Asami(13)(act in sequence on your first turn, and follow that)

Philemonite
2014-09-21, 06:15 AM
Rebecca[24]
Tower(21)
Kyoko(18)
Emperor(17)
Lover(15)
Tsubaki&Asami(13)(act in sequence on your first turn, and follow that)
Sandra[10]

banthesun
2014-09-21, 07:06 AM
The shadow at the front was so large that Kyoko was stunned for a moment, backing away as it advanced. With her teammates on either side she made her stand, facing up to it and the trailing shadows behind it.

"Mimi!"

The familiar sense of calm washed over Kyoko as her persona manifested, taller than even the tower shadow. Kyoko still wasn't sure exactly why she had been chosen to fight, but now she was here she was ready to face the situation with complete seriousness.

"Stay back!" she yelled at the shadows, sweeping her hand up in front of her. Behind her, Mimi mimicked her actions, swaying alarmingly as a wind swept past to strike the shadows.

Magaru
Hit:[roll0]
Damage:[roll1] (I think it's 12?)
Spend my minor to restore SP

Mokou-tan
2014-09-21, 09:08 AM
Tsubaki takes in a deep breath as she assesses her situation. I can't protect Asami and Kyoko from here. There's a big red button on this machine... Nothing good comes from a big red button. She shrouds herself in her Persona and grabs onto the Stalagmite, activating it. "Show me what you can do!"

Activate Stalagmite. If it targets, going after that unholy amalgamation (a pair of fused Shadows counts in Tsubaki's book). Tsubaki does not understand it and does not want it to live. Unknown enemies are bothersome. Minor action to move center afterwards.

Xhosant
2014-09-21, 10:25 AM
Energy coats the huge Shadow's shield, and it seems harder that before (Rakukaja, + PD)

The blast of wind met the barricade in its hands, shielding its ally as well. (intercept, missx2. Yup, he gets to intercept area attacks and you don't.)

The thunder around the right half of the pair dissipates as the blade itself is lengthened (Power Charge).

Meanwhile, it counterpart merely watches on. (Delay)

The energy unleashed by Tsubaki's actions is akin to that of a Null thunder, but less refined and long-lived (Null thunder on the whole group, until her next turn).

Asami's energies engulf the defender, but it seems all but oblivious to them, not even making an effort to resist (6 damage taken).

Meanwhile, the combined blast of Rebecca and Sandra's hit the shield head-on, unclear if it affected its bearer at first, before the combined brunt of the force makes it nearly loose its balance by the shield's now-considerable weight (-10 AP, because double dose). Once again, the duet is shielded from harm (2nd intercept).

banthesun
2014-09-22, 08:08 AM
Damnit, that shield can block my biggest attacks...

"We have to get around that shield!" Kyoko called to her friends. Hopefully they could come up with a good plan; she was just going to try more precise attacks. She focused on the back shadow, and summoned the storm of wind again.

Garu on the back pair.
Hit:[roll0] (forgot my SLink bonus last time)
Damage[roll1] +1/5 MA (I think I got it right this time)

Kioku
2014-09-22, 11:20 AM
"It can block things that can't *be* redirected or intercepted. We hate when they alter the laws of reality!" Asami and Tamamo scowl. "Insomniacs..." they mutter as if it were a curse, then stretch a bit while almost shining with a sudden added grace of some kind. Pixie. "Let's see if that's a standing condition..." Eyes shimmer and tails sweep forward as the same mist flows forth again. Asami staggers slightly, but refuses to show any further outward signs of her inner turmoil.

Minor switch to Pixie.
Dream Haze vs Tower again; [roll0], -2 for Sleep effect.
Damage [roll1] + 1/5 SAXhosant, I think Mokou needs to know if the Tower is, in fact, asleep by Tsubaki's turn in order to plan her action appropriately.

Mokou-tan
2014-10-06, 06:41 PM
Tsubaki takes in a deep breath. "Ignore the wall! Focus you energies on the one in the back, the one in front can't block everything and if it does it will eventually be crushed under the weight of our combined might!" She shouts her instructions and leaps towards the one in back, intending on bash it's face in with her fist.

Skull Cracker [roll0] -1 to hit, -3 to stun. [roll1] +PA/5 in damage. Targeting the one in back, of course.

Xhosant
2014-11-27, 11:22 AM
Alright, p1 has lasted long enough and wasn't well-received, so even though technically the delayed-action Lover could wake the tower up... let's roll :smallbiggrin:

Asami's renewed assault on the guardian's vigil payed off, and the momentary lapse caused by it ended the engagement. Just as the energy to reawaken it flowed out of the backline duo, two arrows let loose by Rebecca, a disturbance of the ground like a burrowing creature, as well as Tsubaki herself rushed past its guard, decimating the duo. The guardian opened its eyes just in time to see its charge fade to nothingness, and as if by its failure's shock, kneeled over, its shield breaking in half, slumping inanimate and motionless.

You all take a moment to congratulate each other, as the slight humming of the machines doing their thing is the only thing in earshot.

...or is it? There's a different humming you're starting to hear, and the horizon seems to flicker somehow. It isn't long until you realize you're looking at the equivalent of a locust swarm: bug-shadows as far as the eye can see, little more than 3 sets of wings and a dagger-like needle for a beak. Alexandra's description pops into your minds: "During the Processing stage, we're making the minerals into something you can move around with reasonable ease. Incidentally, that also makes them delicacies for the shadows."

The first few of the surreal mosquito-creatures are almost in reach...

These guys don't deserve a full stat block, so here's how the Hunger shadows work (yup, Hunger arcana, we're getting obscure)

Minimal damage: these guys deal 1 point on attack, plus they got the equivalent of a Pierce penetration talent. Long story sort, unless you got 0 PD, they deal exactly 1 'true' damage on attack.
Too fragile: They got 1 hp. Hit them and they're down. Intercept them and they're down. Put them to sleep, the fall will kill them. They just die, on any sort of hit.
Swarms: They're way too many, way too packed. Area attacks hit 3+1d3 of them. Single attacks hit an extra one per point of to-hit margin. Finally, you get extras every round, at their turn's end.

They'll go for the minerals, which have 20 hp each, no healing. You can intercept their attacks, and attack back, if you're at the crystal's flank. Minor to cross the field.

You each get 1 non-aggressive turn before the first are in range, this is a survival phase, minimize crystal damage. Y'all are re-rolling initiative next round, for now, go!

banthesun
2014-11-28, 09:21 AM
"Ah, we got them!" Kyoko remained in a fighting stance, but her face showed she was feeling a lot more relaxed than before. Her relief didn't last long, however, as the murmur of wings warned the group of the new threat.

"What... no... They're not all shadows, are they!?" she remarked in alarm.

Unless Tsubaki is in need of healing fuel, Kyoko will open with a Magaru against the cloud.
To hit: [roll0] (+2 if we're counting social links).
AoE hits: [roll1]
She'll use her minor action to recharge too.
Sandra will swap flanks over to the right (in case Kyoko needs to start healing), and use Foul Breath against the swarm (lets see how many this hits).
[roll2]
Rebecca will swap to Yamata no Orochi and use Ninety Nine Needles.
To hit: [roll3]
AoE hits: [roll4]

Xhosant
2014-11-28, 09:28 AM
I think i've lost count of your costs and resources, no damage went out so that should be all.

ban, i'll point out that weird 'non-aggressive' bit. They're not in combat yet, I'm just giving you a turn to get in position/heal/buff/whatever :smalltongue:

banthesun
2014-11-28, 10:02 AM
Oops, I took that as 'you have one turn to whittle them down before you're swarmed' :smallredface:
In that case I'll throw a heal on Tsubaki
[roll0]
MP is 19 - 6 + 4 - 3 + 4 - 2 + 4 = Full MP :smallwink:
Sandra will still swap to the right flank, but she doesn't have much to do
Rebecca will swap to Ara Mitama and Tarukaja herself
Sorry, but I'm a bit fuzzy on what they did their first turn, so I'm not sure what resources they've used

Mokou-tan
2014-11-30, 10:56 PM
Tsubaki lets out an annoyed sigh. Hey, Cu Chulainn, I think it's time to cut loose. Finally? Well then, let us go! Tsubaki twirls her naginata before slamming it into the ground, using the strength of her Persona along with her own to propel herself to the stalagmite she was originally at. "I hope they're prepared for this." Her right eye gets a red gleam as the air around her shimmers for a moment, obviously using Tarukaja.

Moving over and Tarukaja to cut through even more of them.

Kioku
2014-11-30, 11:44 PM
So that puts Tsubaki left, Sandra right, and everyone else center for the moment?
That was much too easy... how was the shieldsman tied to the other pair? And why couldn't they let us know about the swarming *before* we activated these things? Damn information withholding instructors, I see why so many defected. Asami and Tamamo's eyes flick opposite ways, checking the situation. Stand with the one she cares about, or the one she mistrusts? The former wasn't equipped to take on the same sort of attacks as she could, but the latter was a complete unknown, due to her unwillingness to cooperate or communicate. Better to go where I know I'll be needed rather than where I only might be... With that, Asami makes her way to the left crystal formation and hops between her feet a few times, secretly glad for the reprieve from needing to call on Tamamo again so soon.

Minor action to move to left flank. IF someone is injured at the moment, I'll edit the post and Dia them for [roll0] and still be at full SP afterward due to regen. Because I have no Kaja skills right now.

Xhosant
2014-12-02, 07:14 AM
Everyone's Hp and Sp is full, Rebecca and Tsubaki: 1st turn of Tarukaja.

Left Flank: Asami, Tsubaki Right Flank: Rebecca, Kyoko, Sandra

Please check the flanks for me :smallbiggrin:

The swarm's vanguard approaches, in the form of [roll0] bug-shadows on the right flank and [roll1] on the left, barely a swarm for now. Those of you standing more to the side of their approach can notice that they seem fixated on the devices, thoroughly uninterested in you.

Of course, for anyone directly between the bugs and their prey, that's neither apparent nor important.

Roll initiative for me again. The swarm rolls 1.

banthesun
2014-12-02, 09:44 AM
Here they come... Kyoko sunk deeper into a fighting stance, keeping her eyes on the oncoming swarm.

"Mimi! Magaru!"

Kyoko:
Initiative: [roll0]
Magaru: [roll1]
AoE hits: [roll2]

Sandra:
Initiative: [roll3]
Foul Breath: [roll4]

Rebecca:
Initiative: [roll5]
Ninety Nine Needles: [roll6]
AoE hits: [roll7]

Kioku
2014-12-02, 02:50 PM
Knowing that even if there's only one for now, more will come soon, Asami holds off on calling on Tamamo for an ability, and materializes a kunai in her hand which she dismissively flings at the approaching Shadow.

Initiative [roll0] (going to be lower because Pixie, I know it!) Basic attack [roll1], not bothering to roll damage because 1 hp.
Edit: Wow. Suddenly, high rolls. That would have been 26 instead of 24 if I were using an actual ability instead of "highest attack stat minus two" for basic.

Mokou-tan
2014-12-02, 04:47 PM
Tsubaki's face adopts a wild smile as she takes a slash at the pitiful insects before her. "My 'hunger' is far greater than yours."

Initiative:[roll0]
Power Slash: [roll1] Minor Action for a pair of Intercepts.

Xhosant
2014-12-02, 05:30 PM
2nd turn for Tarukaja. How long does it last?

Rebecca: 30hp
Kyoko: (20-6+2xregen)Mp
Tsubaki: 36hp

You don't know how long this is gonna go on for, so play conservatively unless you need to.

Initiative:
Tsubaki, Asami, 16
Kyoko, 15
Sandra, Rebecca, 14
Hunger, 1

The insects are shot down under your combined, and occasionally overkill, assault.

You hardly have the time to watch them hit the ground, as another [roll0] of them arrive upon the trio, and [roll1] get in range of the duet.

Kioku
2014-12-02, 06:04 PM
More of them. Now we might start be getting somewhere. At least I don't have to look crazy yet... or face that pain for now. Three more kunai materialize between her fingers, and she throws them in a tight spread, the knife throwing practice that her brother put her through finally paying off.

Single attacks hit an extra one per point of to-hit margin.Mwehehe. [roll0] again. I don't know how hard they are to hit, but if I can catch a couple with this attack, I'll be glad.

banthesun
2014-12-03, 01:55 AM
"Phew, it looks like these things aren't that tough! I think we might be able to do this!"

Kyoko's mana regen is 2.4 (so two, rounded down)
This turn she'll cast Garu
[roll0]

Sandra uses Foul Breath
[roll1]

And Rebecca uses Ninety Nine Needles (I'll heal her when she gets too low or we get a break)
[roll2]
[roll3]
Does attacks like Double Fangs hit two of these shadows? Maybe I'll switch to that next turn.

Mokou-tan
2014-12-07, 02:31 PM
Tsubaki laughs as she takes another slash. More! Come on, there will never be enough of you for me!

Power Slash: [roll0]
Intercepting twice.

Xhosant
2014-12-07, 03:00 PM
I'll have to rule that yes, and 2 extras per 3 points of margin. Think less would push the balance :smalltongue:

3rd turn for Tarukaja. How long does it last?

Rebecca: 26hp
Tsubaki: 34hp

Initiative:
Tsubaki, Asami, 16
Kyoko, 15
Sandra, Rebecca, 14
Hunger, 1

Left crystal: -1Hp

A single blast from Kyoko drags the entire swarmlet aside.

Meanwhile, the duet doesn't fare so well: in a stroke of bad luck, Asami's blades fail to hit any of the bugs, merely passing among their wingbeats. Tsubaki's glaive slices one before it can even get close, and deftly dances between the charge of another two, letting 4 objects fly past her, instead of 2. The last one, however, makes it through and hits the crystal squarely before trying to lift off again.

[roll0] + [roll1],[roll2],[roll3]

Xhosant
2014-12-07, 03:04 PM
An additional [roll0] and [roll1] arrive left and right, respectively.

Kioku
2014-12-07, 04:51 PM
Meanwhile, the duet doesn't fare so well: in a stroke of bad luck, Asami's blades fail to hit any of the bugs, merely passing among their wingbeats. Tsubaki's glaive slices one before it can even get close, and deftly dances between the charge of another two, letting 4 objects fly past her, instead of 2. The last one, however, makes it through and hits the crystal squarely before trying to lift off again.Ah! Sorry, I thought it was implied that interception was the default minor action unless another was specified. Asami is blocking that last one.Their numbers grow too far... I hate having to do this, but... Asami gives a small shout, and the reflection from Tamamo makes the sound near physical. Normally it would barely harm a foe, but keep their skills sealed from use. In this case though, the silence is only secondary - hopefully, the things won't survive long enough for it to matter. She trembles slightly, but due to the extended reprieve from using her skills before, is prepared enough to stave off most of the side effects this time.Makajam, because it's flavorful even if Dream Haze would have the exact same results. XD [roll0] to hit, plus another 2 if we get to use our SL bonuses this battle. Not bothering to roll the Mute or damage for obvious reasons.
Edit: Oh right, and intercept, of course, since no other minor was specified.

Mokou-tan
2014-12-07, 05:00 PM
Tsubaki grimaces. One got past. That's not something she can accept, and now there are more. "Guess it's time to shift tactics." With a flourish, the little warrior tosses her naginata to the heavens and lashes out with her fists.

Sonic Punch: [roll0]
Intercepts
Tarukaja is not listed to stop working.

banthesun
2014-12-08, 05:26 AM
Ah, that cut through them much better!

Kyoko tried to spare some attention to her friends on the other side of the battlefield, but an even bigger swarm began to move in. She wanted to help them, but was worried to leave her position without someone telling her to.

Once more, with feeling!
Kyoko
Garu: [roll0]
Restore MP

Sandra
Foul Breath (if any are left): [roll1]
Restore MP is none are left, otherwise intercept

Rebecca
If more than one is left
Double Fangs [roll2] [roll3]

Else move to the centre in case a ton show up on the left next turn.

Xhosant
2014-12-08, 12:51 PM
Ah! Sorry, I thought it was implied that interception was the default minor action unless another was specified. Asami is blocking that last one.

I tend to assume 'regen' as unspecified :smallbiggrin:

Tarukaja is not listed to stop working.

:smalleek: Why haven't I made a wisdom-based adapter? At least they don't stack, right? :smalltongue:

Rebecca: 26hp
Tsubaki: 30hp

Initiative:
Tsubaki, Asami, 16
Kyoko, 15
Sandra, Rebecca, 14
Hunger, 1

Left Flank: Asami, Tsubaki
Right Flank: Kyoko, Sandra
Mid: Rebecca

The last one, however, makes it through and hits the crystal squarely before trying to lift off again.

... or so it would have, if she hadn't held on to the third knife, a knife which, right now, was pinning it against the ground.

Swiftly after, Tsubaki's fists smash a pair between them, just as Asami's voice blows the rest off the sky.

Rebecca takes a step back to assess the situation, as her allies keep wrecking the swarm with wind and poison.

The main body of the swarm is almost upon you, as evidenced by the [roll0] shadows that reach the left pair, and their [roll1] right counterparts.

banthesun
2014-12-14, 10:40 AM
"Uh, uh, there's more of them!" called out Kyoko. With how many shadows kept swarming in, she couldn't spare the time to glance over to her friends, so instead she tried to ask how the fight was going. "Can we take them all?"

Kyoko
Intercept after Sandra, otherwise regen

Sandra
Foul Breath: [roll1]
Intercept > regen

Rebecca
If there's some left on the left flank (> right flank), she'll move over and use
Double Fangs: [roll2] [roll3]
If all the shadows are already dead, she'll swap to Ara Mitama and use Tarukaja on Tsubaki.

Kioku
2014-12-22, 03:14 AM
Already expecting the reinforcements, Asami gives a small smile and puts a finger over her lips. The reverse of the shout from before, everything seems to briefly be covered in an eerie total silence until barely audible echoes of laughter emit from Tamamo. Asami shudders a little, and her smile starts to warp into a grin...

Same as last time, but [roll0].
Makajam, because it's flavorful even if Dream Haze would have the exact same results. XD (the roll) to hit, plus another 2 if we get to use our SL bonuses this battle. Not bothering to roll the Mute or damage for obvious reasons.
Edit: Oh right, and intercept, of course, since no other minor was specified.
Also, keeping this going is going to become difficult, if we're trying to mentally adapt to the new version of the system and our characters! XD Glad that I saved a backup...
Edit: And today I discovered that this site cannot handle quotes of rolls.

Mokou-tan
2014-12-24, 04:32 AM
Tsubaki lets out a bored sigh as she lashes out with her fists again. "You guys really aren't worth the time, just kill yourselves so I can go home."

Another Sonic Punch: [roll0], intercepts. This is just going to be the rest of this battle, really.

Xhosant
2014-12-24, 04:47 PM
All of the bugs are decimated, thanks to Rebecca's timely aid at the left side. As a final [roll0] of the bugs arrive at either side, something changes. The hum of the machines stop, and suddenly the shadows all but lose interest in them. The good news is that you kept the resources without a scratch. The bad news is that now, the bulk of the shadows have an interest in you, instead.

The worst news is, you don't notice the subtle hints of the true problem to come...

Your move.

banthesun
2014-12-25, 05:34 AM
The machines falling silent came as a relief to Kyoko, and she took the chance to survey the battlefield.

"Look's like they weren't too hard after all! Now let's just clear up!"

Kyoko
Regen

Sandra
Foul Breath: [roll1]
Regen

Rebecca
Double Fangs: [roll2] [roll3]
Then swap to Ara Mitama

Xhosant
2014-12-25, 08:14 AM
The shadows to the right fall swiftly, and 2 more are pierced on each of Rebecca's 2 arrows.

The machines slowly move their drills in place, the drills that will shatter the now-stabilized crystals into portable shards. Considering the unharmed state of the deposits, each should yield 20 shards (yup, that's one per hp left, people!)

And still out of sight, something between them stirs.

Kioku
2015-01-02, 03:30 PM
"What a pain... If I'd know it was going to involve swarms of pointless nothings, I wouldn't have bothered coming along." These types aren't worth the literal headache at all. Asami sighs in annoyance and raises a hand. With a bored twist of her wrist, blue mist billows forth, dropping those it touches into a fatal sleep. Her knees buckle, but she stays standing.

Dream Haze, [roll0], again +2 more if social links are being counted. And of course intercept, as that is the default minor action.

Mokou-tan
2015-01-17, 07:14 AM
Tsubaki just sighs and swings, apathetic about the whole situation by this point. Just crush bugs and shadows until it's time to leave.

You know the drill. [roll0]

Xhosant
2015-01-17, 08:53 AM
Tsubaki fails to hit the last of the bugs.

What she succeeds in doing, however, is flinging those that tried to attack past her, right onto the others. Along with Asami's cloud, the whole crowd is out cold.

Time for celebrations isn't available, however. Not a moment later, a roar surprises you. As you turn to the center, you see the guardian is, in fact, alive. What's more, his once expressionless, stony mask, now upside-down, literally burns in rage, and you just now notice how sharp and heavy the jagged shards that were once its shield look.

With a second roar, it brings its arms down with the force of vengeance, the shockwave forcing you on your knees, the drills kicked out of place and ruining the apparatuses. Not that you care at this point. Extraction can wait.

Thing gets 3 attacks per turn, defending as described. It will only attack middle-area enemies, and arms can't defend against the middle. Each arm defends from one flank, but currently they're more focused on killing the closest person, whoever that opts to be.

EDIT: The Tower had its destined fall in its charge's death, and now it's reversed :P

Kioku
2015-01-17, 11:11 AM
Rebecca (24)
Kyoko (18)
Asami (13)
Tsubaki (13)
Sandra (10)

Xhosant
2015-01-17, 11:14 AM
Rebecca (24)
Kyoko (18)
Asami (13)
Tsubaki (13)
Sandra (10)

Handy. You get a free minor action (as in, one of you gets 1 action), in case they want to move to the middle.

After that, we're on!

banthesun
2015-01-19, 08:32 AM
Kyoko took a few steps back. "What!? I thought we'd finished that thing! Can it even be killed!?"

Alright, I'm not going to bother moving to the center and exposing myself to potential attacks from the big guy unless we have to.
Rebecca
Tarukaja on Tsubaki for +3

Kyoko
Magaru: [roll0]
Left Arm: [roll1] + MA/5
Right Arm: [roll2] + MA/5
Body: [roll3] + MA/5
Minor to Regen

Sandra
Foul Breath on the Main Body
Accuracy: [roll4]
Damage: [roll5] + SA/5
Minor to intercept status.

Kioku
2015-01-19, 09:07 AM
"Figures." A plume of blue mist is already on its way toward the right arm (left flank) as Asami speaks. She staggers a little and shakes her head, but seems... mostly fine.

"Get everybody to one side of it! It doesn't look very mobile."

Dream Haze, naturally. [roll0] vs SE for damage, -2 to inflict sleep, [roll1] +1/5 SA damage on hit.
Minor action to... there is literally nothing for me to do with my minor action, because my SP regen outstrips my costs, and it can't attack this flank for me to intercept. Umm... I'll get back to you. switch to Succubus.

Edit:
I should have made clear, each arm can only be hit by its own flank. Sorry.

Right: Asami, Tsubaki, Rebecca
Left: Kyoko, Sandra
Mid: Empty (flanks attackable!)These flanks are backward (I was on the left, not right, and everyone else is similarly reversed), and it's facing toward us (meaning right arm is on our left flank, left arm is on our right flank). My targeting stands. :P

Xhosant
2015-01-22, 12:12 PM
I should have made clear, each arm can only be hit by its own flank. Sorry.

Left: Asami, Tsubaki, Rebecca
Right: Kyoko, Sandra
Mid: Empty (flanks attackable!)

Kyoko's gale engulfed the body and one arm, but without harming either (miss) just as Sandra's poison (which, however, drew the shadow's attention).

That was Asami's attack's fate, as well. The two of them will have a hard time getting past the arms this turn (Left Guard: Sandra. Right Guard: Asami).

Mokou-tan
2015-01-26, 02:10 PM
Skull Cracker on the Arm: [roll0] -2 against SE for stun.
Damage: [roll1]+Pa/5
Minor to intercept.

Xhosant
2015-01-26, 02:51 PM
Miss for the Stun, Kioku says that you forgot a +3 from Tarukaja, which would make the damage a hit.

I recommend you move to the center instead of intercepting, as it's practically 'free intercept everything' so long as you're alone there.

Mokou-tan
2015-01-26, 03:20 PM
Can't move and intercept. Greater interception only works when you take an intercept action in this verstion.

Xhosant
2015-01-26, 03:45 PM
Told you at the start, didn't I? If there's anyone at the center, it won't bother attacking the flanks. If there's only you at the center, it won't bother attacking anyone else.

Kioku
2015-01-26, 03:53 PM
Large part of the point of interception is to make use of Protector. We're far, far better off if either everyone moves to one flank or the other, or everyone moves to the center. Everyone on one side would negate 2 of its attacks per round, everyone in the center would mean it can't intercept anything. If you have to face a bunch of annoying gimmicks, use them to get through so you don't have to bother with the gimmick any longer than necessary.

Mokou-tan
2015-01-26, 03:59 PM
Problem, I don't get protector bonuses if I'm not intercepting. Risking taking a magic attack directly without the Tower bonuses, as I didn't have most of them placed when this started, is foolish with MD 4. It's not intercepting at that point, it's taking direct hits, which hurt Tsubaki far more than intercepting. I also don't have any tools for making this quick, so my actions are likely to just boil down to Skull Cracker and Intercept until something dies, then move and intercept if it wasn't Tsubaki that ate it.

Xhosant
2015-01-26, 03:59 PM
I'm alright with allowing Protector passively, as the point of standing in the middle flank is intercepting. That said, suit yourself, but Tsubaki can only intercept on one flank.

Mokou-tan
2015-01-26, 04:06 PM
I'd assumed I could only defend this flank, that's how it was before, so I expected nothing to change.

Xhosant
2015-01-26, 04:14 PM
Well, you can only defend one flank from the flank. It's the boss' tactics to focus on the center, if it's not empty. I said that, didn't I? :P

Mokou-tan
2015-01-26, 04:35 PM
Just hurry up and post the boss' actions.

Xhosant
2015-01-26, 06:17 PM
Left: Asami, Tsubaki, Rebecca
Right: Kyoko, Sandra
Mid: Empty (flanks attackable!)

Right Arm: 6 damage
Left Arm: -
Torso: -

Right arm attacks Asami: [roll0] vs PE, [roll1] strike
Left arm attacks Kyoko: [roll2] vs PE, [roll3] strike, -3 to-hit to fling to center.
Tower attacks Tsubaki: [roll4] vs PE, [roll5] fire (MD)

Although the arm cracks at the strike, the golem doesn't flinch. Instead, it retaliates with a head-bash with its burning mask against Tsubaki, at the same time that his arms strike out at Asami and Kyoko.

Kioku
2015-01-26, 06:31 PM
The center can attack flanks? v_vViolet eyes gleam red.It wants to intercept against me? Let it try; kunda skills literally cannot be intercepted by anything, ever. Tarunda on center tower, -5 PA for 3 turns. Minor action to either switch back to Pixie, or move to center, depending on Tsubaki.

banthesun
2015-01-27, 05:46 AM
If it can attack flanks we're better off just sitting in the middle and hammering it. Also, Kyoko tanking dat arm damage :smallcool:

"Aaaaargh!"

Kyoko screamed as the shadow threw her into the air, but she was caught in Mimi's spindly hands and lowered to the ground unharmed. In front of the shadow now, she unleased a direct attack at its face.

Kyoko
Damage: [roll1] + MA/5
Double Regen

Sandra
Move to Center
Foul Breath: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3] + SA/5

Rebecca
Move to Center
Assault Dive: [roll4]
Damage: [roll5]

Mokou-tan
2015-01-27, 12:28 PM
Standard: Move to Center
Minor: Intercepts
Intercepted for Asami.

Xhosant
2015-01-27, 04:21 PM
The center can attack flanks? v_v

If it can attack flanks we're better off just sitting in the middle and hammering it.

Uh, I said so. Multiple times. It can attack flanks, it just won't if it can attack mid instead. Otherwise you'd all just sit on the same flank and shoot past the arm/ shoot down the arm then end it from safety.

IC post tomorrow, I can barely keep my eyes open. It should be earlier than usual.

Xhosant
2015-01-28, 04:46 AM
Alright, Encounter Saving Throw: removing flanks, minor adaption to defenses (decrease). Right hand has Area Intercept, left hand has Greater Intercept (2 total). Killing the torso ends it, killing an arm harms the torso over time, up to the arm's hp. The head can only use that attack every 3rd round (plus I slightly tuned it through 'split damage'), and will focus on indirect combat while it can't. The arms have a chance (i'm actually rolling on that) to fuse their attack.)

Also healing/restoring mana to your party, because why not? It'll help stop the ripples from my screwed-up start. Essentially, we're restarting. Tsubaki gets a free standard next turn for her zone-changing.

Head: Void stun
Right Arm: [roll0] to hit, [roll1] strike to Sandra
Left Arm: [roll2] to hit, [roll3] strike to Rebecca

Right Arm: 19 damage
Left Arm: 5 damage
Torso: -

Realizing its position as surrounded is good neither for attack nor defense, the golem brings its fists down on the ground, pushing itself back a distance, its stance shifting to something more aggressive. At the same time, one of the pillars lets free a stream of golden energy, likely the result of the malfunctioned extraction attempt. As it washes over you, you feel your vigor returning and your bruises soothed.

As the group launches its assault, the golem ducks behind the shield's leftover shards, blocking the gale with his right arm and the poison and arrows with its left. There's little it can do about Asami's curse however, or Tsubaki's oncoming assault.

In response, its fists lash out at Sandra and Rebecca, while the hand stands defiantly against Tsubaki's further attempts to disable it or its arms.

Kioku
2015-01-28, 10:39 AM
A glance at the right arm, and eyes gleam gold.Rakunda vs right arm, -5 PD. Minor: switch to Pixie.

banthesun
2015-01-30, 01:02 AM
Kyoko
Magaru: [roll0]
Left Arm: [roll1] + MA/5
Right Arm: [roll2] + MA/5
Body: [roll3] + MA/5
Regen

Rebecca
Swap to Yaksini

Sandra
Swap to Inugami
FUSION
Materazi: [roll4]
Left Arm: [roll5] + MA/5
Right Arm: [roll6] + MA/5
Body: [roll7] + MA/5

Mokou-tan
2015-01-31, 03:21 AM
Targetting Head
Skull Cracker: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1] +PA/5
If I'm interpreting you right,
Skull Cracker: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3] +PA/5
Intercept
HP: 30/38 SP: 14/18(1.6 regen)

Xhosant
2015-01-31, 09:50 AM
Rebecca (24)
Kyoko (18)
Asami (13)
Tsubaki (13)
Sandra (10)

Tsubaki's stun failed by SE for the one before Void, it hurt though.

Kyoko keeps mopping up.

Grab:[roll]3d6+11[//roll], ensures 1 attack lands next turn (so long as the hand's still standing). Practically an intercept-able reroll.
Torso: Mind Charge

Right Arm: rekt
Left Arm: rekt
Torso: 12(bleed)+26(Tsubaki)+16(Materazi)

Tsubaki's naginata strikes the mask hard with its bottom, sending the monster's head backwards in recoil. The monster responds with a loud roar and a stiffening of its body (and here's our Void cast).

Kyoko's blast was intercepted by the monster's arm just like last time, except this one something more happened: the gale tore at the rocky surface, sending shards flying, flailing the hard surface off of it. You've never seen a Shadow bleed before, but this one does, and it's bleeding burning, molten hatred from every inch of its arm, now hanging useless to its side, unable to stop the incoming barrage.

Kioku's curse hit the left arm, making it look quite brittle for a second, so much so that Tsubaki's assault passed through it as if it wasn't there, laying the smack on it owner. The arm explodes in shards all the way to the shoulder, where a geyser of hate-blood begins to spray out.

In response, the golem's rage burned brighter in anticipation for its next attack.[/QUOTE]

Kioku
2015-01-31, 12:35 PM
((And this is why we need results of actions in real time when possible. XD I know it's really hard to do though))
If the target of the curse is dead, Asami instead uses Pixie's Dream Haze on the left arm.
[roll0] to hit, -3 to inflict sleep; [roll1] damage vs SD; If sleep portion misses, Lovers 8: Re-roll ailment attack 1/battle [roll2] - In either case, spend 1 accuracy pool if roll is 21 or higher.

Edit:
You've never seen a Shadow bleed beforeAlso, this is categorically untrue. :smallbiggrin: We've seen Shadows bleed TONS of times.

Xhosant
2015-01-31, 12:43 PM
Holy butterfly effect, those 7 damage changed everything :P

Also, do shadows even bleed? No, besides that, you've never seen them bleed lava. No, screw that, I was talking to our audience, they're new :P

Kioku
2015-02-01, 08:18 PM
"No more area attacks! Focus on the torso!" Asami collects herself before...
If an arm is awake when it gets to my turn, Dream Haze it again, same things as last time (use accuracy if it wasn't used before and the roll is high enough, use reroll if it wasn't used before the the first roll is too low). [roll0] vs SE, -3 to Sleep; [roll1] damage; [roll2] if need re-roll. Minor to... umm... I've got nothing.If neither arm is awake when it gets to my turn, minor to switch to Succubus, then Rakunda vs torso/head; -5 PD for 3 turns.

banthesun
2015-02-02, 05:47 AM
Kyoko glanced to Asami as she gave her orders, and nodded. "Alright!"

Kyoko
Damage: [roll1] + MA/5

Rebecca
Cruel Attack: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3] + PA/5

Sandra
Terazi: [roll4]
Damage: [roll5] + MA/5

Mokou-tan
2015-02-02, 09:15 AM
Skull Cracker: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1] +PA/5
Minor Intercept

Xhosant
2015-02-02, 11:24 AM
Rebecca (24)
Kyoko (18)
Asami (13)
Tsubaki (13)
Sandra (10)

Torso: Flame Bash [roll0] attack vs PE, [roll1] fire vs MD, [roll2] strike vs PD, at Tsubaki, final results x2.5

Right Arm: rekt
Left Arm: rekt
Torso: 54+12(bleed)+11(Garu)+19(Terazi)+17(Skull cracker) (113 total)

We're about done here, the bleed effect alone can finish it. RP finishers enabled.

Although Rebecca's arrows bounce off their target, the combined blasts of wind and earth pepper the creature, and the curse creates a great opening for Tsubaki's strike.

With useless arms, their adversary brings its head down on Tsubaki again, but as the rekindled flames lower down to their previous intensity, its bleeding begins to stop, as if there's no much more blood left to flow out. Similarly, the mask's blazes begin to fade.

Mokou-tan
2015-02-02, 11:57 AM
Tsubaki slowly steps forward towards her wounded adversary. "I'll grant you peace." She twirls the naginata in her hands and drives the blade in deep before dragging it up the head of the Tower. "You were just swallowed by the dark as well."

Xhosant
2015-02-02, 12:13 PM
The last of the flames flicker and die, along with the glow of the golem's eyes. The liquid now occasionally dripping from its arms suddenly doesn't look nearly as hot, Now grey and lifeless, its thinner features crumble to dust withing moments, and you reckon it'll be a fine, grey powder by this time tomorrow, swept to the stagnant winds of this dark place. In the end, the creature couldn't have its duty fulfilled nor its revenge claimed, but at least fell honorably, if such a concept exists to shadows.

But all those are thoughts for another time, as you get busy harvesting the minerals 'manually' and loading them in the wrecked machines' compartments. A kick here and there lets them fold back into their suitcases, and you set off on your way back.

It was a long day, but work got done.

OOC: Rewards imminent, stand by.

Xhosant
2015-02-02, 12:55 PM
Ok, so!

Y'all get 6 personal xp

You also get 3 'xp batches' to give to your current personas, one of 6 xp, one of 4, one of 2. 1 batch per persona. EDIT: if you got a persona 'in the works', it's eligible. If you only got 2, period, then you get 6/6. If you got only 1 and no plans to get more (seriously though, why?) just put all 12 to the same one.

1 skill card of your choice, from any void skill or Media

1 arcana card of your choice