PDA

View Full Version : Please advise on an encounter I am constructing.

Belatucadras
2014-09-15, 08:11 PM
The party is sent looking for some rare ingredients for a cure. One of the stops has them seeking the aid of a legendary witch (think Baba Yaga). Unknown to the party, the witch's home has been abandoned for a very long time (decades). Her familiar/animal companion/artifact is still in her home, looking out for her belongings and awaiting her return.

I have used a mimic as the base creature and it took the form of her cauldron. It has all the necessary addons for it to have performed duty as her cauldron.

Ulizmila’s Cauldron CR 8
Advanced Mimic
N Medium aberration (shape changer)
Init: +5
Senses: darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision; Perception +14
Defense
AC 16, touch 11, flat-footed 15 (+1 Dex, +5 natural)
hp 91 (7d8 + 21 +14)
Fort +5, Ref +5, Will +6
Defensive Abilities: Hardness: 5; Immune: acid; Adaptive Resistance: The mimic has resistance 20 against any one of the following energy types at any one time: fire, cold, electricity, or sonic. As a move action, the mimic may change the energy type against which it is resistant. Aberrant Biology: The mimic ignores extra damage from critical hits and sneak attacks 50% of the time. Hardy Protoplasm: The mimic has fast healing 5.
Offense
Speed: 10 feet. Glide: The mimic can create wings and has a fly speed of 40 feet (clumsy maneuverability).
Melee: slam +12 (1d10+3+2d6 acid)
Special Attacks: constrict (slam, 1d10+9+2d6 acid), Corrosive Glue: The mimic deals an extra 2d6 points of acid damage with every successful slam attack or grapple check. Mutable Strikes: The mimic’s slam attack deals bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage. The damage for its slam attack improves by one die step.

I also want it to have the ability to animate the mundane objects in Ulizmila's house. The cauldron would try and remain undetected as the true adversary until the party was sufficiently battered. I want flocks of books distracting spellcasters and furniture fighting the party.

Animate Objects is a level 6 spell, but is that even enough for what I am describing? What would be the added DC to the encounter?

Thank you.

*EDIT* I posted this in the wrong place. I have posted it in the appropriate place.