PDA

View Full Version : The Plane of Shadow and movement.

Myatar_Panwar
2007-03-11, 12:38 PM
Q 079

Ok, so I'm a bit confused on movement through the plane of shadow. The DMG states that the Plane of Shadow allows you to move great strides. And when you read the Shadow Walk spell description, it says that you move 50 miles an hour, which is (by my calculations) 440 feet a round. But then again that is in between the two planes. So my question is: How does movement work on the Plane of Shadow.

(also, any other info about movement on the border of the two planes, etc. would be appreciated)Ok, that is what I posted on questions/ answers by the Raw. I'm not sure if its gonna be answered though because I'm not sure if its RAW.

The reason I need this info is because I am making a dungeon about a city that kind of co-exists with the plane of shadow. It has a deep hole in the middle of it (which they call the well of shadows) which leads to the plane of shadow. But what makes it extra unusual is the fact that small "shadows" or pieces from the PoS (plane of shadow) leak from the hole. They are basically small blotches which move slowly around the city that turn the area they cover black and white. It also contains other properties of the PoS; like the way magic works differently in one and movement as well.

My players will interact directly by going down the well, but will also fight alot on the surface. Thats why I need to know how movement would work on the plane, and in the blotches in the material world.

And I'm not sure if the books state this at all, so just give me some ideas if you would, and I'll go from there.

Thanks in advance. :smallsmile:

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-03-14, 02:00 PM
Here we go,

Manual of Planes, p. 61: "Movement is as normal on the Plane of Shadow, but travelers can cover great distances on the corresponding Material Plane by stepping across the Plane of Shadow"

In other words, the 50 miles per hour movement is only relative to the Material Plane. When you are on the Plane of Shadow itself, you move normally in relation to everything else on the Plane of Shadow. So an unencumbered half-elf would still only move 30 ft. per round. But if he were to warp into the Plane of Shadow, move 30 ft. while on that plane, then warp back to the Material Plane, he would arrive back on the Material Plane about 440 ft. from where he left the Material Plane (assuming such warping transfers the half-elf to and from directly corresponding points, such as with the spell shadow walk, but not plane shift, which has a certain margin of error).

I'm not sure if this movement property would have any specific effect for your shadow blobs. It's pretty difficult to really work on the mapping of corresponding locations when the section of shadow is actually in the Material Plane rather than coexistent. But you might be able to come up with something.

Mr Croup
2007-03-14, 02:19 PM
First off, I'll echo Shhalahar's comments that the different movement speed is only when moving through the Plane of Shadows to travel between points in the Material. For how the moving blobs of shadow might work, you may want to take a look at this web enhancement (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070307a) on WotC's site. Specifically, you might want to incorporate the mechanics for "Black Labyrinth."

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-03-14, 03:09 PM
Those look pretty cool.

Of course, then I love my Tome of Magic. :biggrin:

Fax Celestis
2007-03-14, 03:26 PM
Sweet! I loves me my Shadowcaster.