PDA

View Full Version : The Pit of Calamity (Group 2 IC)

Zaydos
2014-09-15, 09:37 PM
It stands before you, the Pit of Calamity. Three miles from the nearest settlement, the Pit is fabled throughout the land. Its entrance is a pair of heavy stone doors, or was once. Now they lay strewn across the ground, left in weather worn pieces after their destruction years ago. Words were once written above the door, in an ancient script, said by some to be the language of the lost elven empire of Fellazee, said by others to be the Elder Tongue spoken by the first dragons. What it truly is only the most learned would know, but it is a tongue older than the race of man.

The entrance is a worn passage of stone which leads down at a 30 degree angle. It travels further than the light of the sun can reach, more even than dwarven eyes, nay even a dragon's sight could reach. It is 10-ft wide.

In your posts note marching order and any long duration effects you will be activating before entering the dungeon.

Raunchel
2014-09-17, 04:18 AM
Helia looks at her companions. Both of them look much stronger than she is. She intends to stay between the others, until she has had the opportunity to create proper guards for herself.

Woggle
2014-09-23, 03:36 PM
"Right," Artemisia says as she turns to the three standing beside her. "If no one objects, I'll take point." She nods curtly to the group, then, readying her bow, makes her way carefully into the waiting passage.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2] (the nature of the passage, etc.)
Light: Darkvision (60 ft.)

Alihandros
2014-09-23, 03:49 PM
"Very well, let us begin this challenge. And if someone would, find some way to mark our passage so we can leave if we need to."

Urulooke will travel behind the one that took point, semi-cautiously.

Move Silently:[roll0]
Move Silently:[roll1]
Spot:[roll2]
Spot:[roll3]
Listen:[roll4]
Listen:[roll5]

Light:Darkvision 60ft

Eldan
2014-09-23, 04:22 PM
"If you don't mind..."
Achran has a slightly faraway look in his eyes. Holding the magic takes a certain kind of person, the kind that can sing seven songs at the same time with their mental voice, while also doing complicated mathematics.
He opens his hand in a small, complicated gesture and a constrictor snake uncoils itself from under his fur-lined coat, slithering into the tunnel ahead.
"My friend here is slightly more... disposable, being a somewhat artificial magical presence and all that."

Woggle
2014-09-23, 05:18 PM
Artemisia stops for a moment to let the constrictor catch up, then follows softly a short distance behind it. She pulls out a piece of chalk from her haversack, marking the passage wall with an arrow pointing to the exit every forty or so feet.

Raunchel
2014-09-24, 04:42 AM
Helia walks in between Urulooke and Achran, not wanting to be in the back. "This construct of yours, can it communicate its findings back to us in any way?"

Woggle
2014-09-29, 11:02 AM
As Artemisia waits for the serpent to overtake her, she notices the lack of light for the rest of the party. She pulls out her everburning torch from her pack and passes it back to Helia. She then continues to move forward quietly and carefully.

Eldan
2014-09-29, 11:17 AM
"Hm? Oh, no. It is, really, for all non-magical purposes, an utterly ordinary snake. But, well, I can talk to snakes."

Zaydos
2014-09-29, 11:23 AM
As you reach the bottom of the tunnel you can see that it widens into a room. From the shadows a massive scorpion rushes forward, its claw lifting the snake up off the ground as it rushes to block the entrance of the room (8 damage and grapples the constrictor).

It is party turn, the scorpion is as far ahead as the snake was, and grappling the snake. It is blocking the entrance into the room.

Raunchel
2014-09-29, 01:44 PM
Helia does what everyone, or no one, would expect her to do. She starts to sing:
"Is this the real life?
Is this just fantasy?
Caught in a landslide,
No escape from reality"

Tyrene starts inspire courage. She activates her badge of valor and casts Inspirational Boost for a total bonus of +5 to hit and +5 damage for everyone.

Woggle
2014-09-29, 02:25 PM
Seeing the monstrous scorpion being grappling with the serpent, Artemisia takes a step back, knocking and loosing three arrows in quick succession towards the foe, carefully aiming so as not to strike the constrictor. The first arrow she fires glows with a soft phosphorescence as it flies towards it's target. She calls back: "Beware the monster's poison!".

5 foot step back, full attack:
[roll0] (+5 inspiration, +2 knowledge devotion, -2 rapid shot) (Star Arrow: P, 1d8, emit light 5' bright/15' shadowy)
[roll1] (add +5 dam if beyond 30')

[roll2] (+5 inspiration, +2 knowledge devotion, -2 rapid shot) (Serpenttongue, P and S, 1d8)
[roll3] (add +5 dam if beyond 30')

[roll4] (+5 inspiration, +2 knowledge devotion, -2 rapid shot) (Serpenttongue, P and S, 1d8)
[roll5] (add +5 dam if beyond 30')

Zaydos
2014-09-29, 03:19 PM
The first arrow thuds into the scorpion, the second skewering the snake instead, and the third pounding into the scorpion.

OoC: Shooting into a grapple without Improved Precise Shot results in hitting a random target. Within 30-ft or the scorpion would be dead, as is it is merely almost dead.

Alihandros
2014-09-29, 07:59 PM
Urulooke will fly in if possible, and swipe at the scorpion with his claws.

Attack:[roll0]
Critical Confirmation:[roll1]
Damage:[roll2]
Critical:[roll3]

Ignores 8 DR and Hardness and Overcomes Regeneration.

Zaydos
2014-10-01, 10:01 AM
The scorpion is very, very dead. There are at least 2 more, however, waiting in the room it half-exited.

OoC: Eldan's turn.

Eldan
2014-10-01, 10:07 AM
Achran hisses a word and the snake launches itself at the nearest scorpion, jaws gaping. Then, with a quick gesture of his hand, a crackling sphere of blue-white light flies at the other.

Whoops, sorry.

Snake attack:
[roll0]
[roll1]

Force missile, ranged touch:
[roll2]
[roll3]

Edit: that's 2 more on the snake's attack and damage from bull's strength.

Woggle
2014-10-01, 06:37 PM
Seeing more of the monstrous scorpions, Artemisia backs from the room slightly, then lets loose an arrow at the nearest Scorpion.

Artemesia will move away from the scorpions to maintain ~ 50' of distance, then fire.

[roll0] (+5 Inspiration, +2 K. Devotion)
[roll1] (+5 Inspiration, +2 K. Devotion, +5 Lesser Exagerated Spot)

Alihandros
2014-10-02, 03:45 PM
Urulooke will take a deep breath and use his fire breath.

Oversight here....don't know how big or shape, not in class, will pm to shadowfirelance.
Damage:[roll0]
Reflex DC 21

Zaydos
2014-10-02, 05:44 PM
I'm just going to note that I'm still waiting to know how many hit points the snake summon has, and that after Eldan's turn it was/is the scorpions'

Eldan
2014-10-03, 06:18 AM
Standard constrictor snake otherwise, 19 HP. From Summon Nature's Ally.

Zaydos
2014-10-03, 02:04 PM
The snake moves into the chamber with the scorpions. It bites one only to fall to the scorpion's stinger, even as the two remaining move forward to strike at Urulooke. The second's charging claw striking him and grabbing hold of him (9 damage and grapple via improved grab, yay lucky rolls).

OoC: I'm not going to apply the Favored Enemy bonus to damage on a stray attack in a grapple that hits an ally (because that would be mean); which means the snake was at 1 hit point.

The corpions each cover 1/2 of the entrance and half of them is to the sides of the broken doorway.

Alihandros
2014-10-07, 03:46 PM
Urulooke shall attack the one holding him.

Grapple:[roll0]
Grapple:[roll1]

Claw1:[roll2]
Crit:[roll3]
Claw1:[roll4]
Crit:[roll5]

Damage:[roll6]
Crit Dmg:[roll7]

Claw1:[roll8]
Crit:[roll9]
Claw1:[roll10]
Crit:[roll11]

Damage:[roll12]
Crit Dmg:[roll13]

Claw2:[roll14]
Crit:[roll15]
Claw2:[roll16]
Crit:[roll17]

Damage:[roll18]
Crit Dmg:[roll19]

Zaydos
2014-10-07, 03:57 PM
With one swipe of his claw Urulooke fells the scorpion holding him, the second extinguishing its life.

Woggle
2014-10-08, 01:05 PM
Leaving Urulooke to deal with the scorpion currently grappling him, Artemisia fires another volley of arrows at the second scorpion.

Longbow firing Serpentongue arrows (Piercing and Slashing damage)
[roll0] (+5 Inspiration, +2 K. Devotion, -2 Rapid Shot)
[roll1] (+5 Inspiration, +5 range beyond 30' , +2 K. Devotion)

[roll2]
[roll3]

[roll4]
[roll5]

Zaydos
2014-10-08, 01:07 PM
And another scorpion goes splat.

Eldan
2014-10-09, 02:12 AM
Concentrating on the last remaining beast, the battlemage frowns in concentration, then ***** one eyebrow up and sends another missile flying.

Force missile, ranged touch:
[roll0]
[roll1]

Snake (also forgot I had augment summoning last time. I swear, I will try and actually add up these modifiers from now on).
[roll2]
[roll3]

Zaydos
2014-10-09, 02:33 AM
The missile strikes the scorpion only to aggravate it. The creature charges forward striking at Urulooke with its claw only to miss soundly.

OoC: The snake was deep in the negative after the hit it's still unconscious and dying even with the +6 hit points from Augment Summoning.

It is party turn and the scorpion is wounded (30-70% hp).

Woggle
2014-10-09, 11:36 AM
With the last of the scorpions in clear view Artemisia takes a small step back, quickly firing three more carefully aimed shots toward the monstrous form.

5-foot step back, then Full attack.
[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

[roll4]
[roll5]

Assuming Artemisia is beyond 30' of the scorpion. If not, then Add +1 to Attack, and -4 to Damage rolls. (Lose beyond 30' bonus from spot, gain Point-Blank Shot)

Zaydos
2014-10-09, 11:58 AM
Another scorpion dies a painful death as three arrows puncture it.

The room itself is hexagonal, each wall 20-ft long. In the middle of each wall but the one to the left of entrance is a pair of old stone double doors. Looking to the sides of the entrance you can see where hinges once stood, but they seem to have been hacked apart by something in days of old and the doors carried away, perhaps because they were made of valuable metal.

Above each of the 4 doors is a symbol. Counterclockwise, starting from the door in the wall segment to your right these symbols are: A sword (http://www.wordans.com/wvc-1276734564/wordansfiles/images/2010/6/16/37058/37058_340.jpg); a cube (http://developer.blackberry.com/playbook/native/files/documentation/gry1339512333280.png); an eye (http://callcharles.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Eye-Symbol.png); a set of 9 dots (http://www.stuffwecomeupwit.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/9punti1.gif).

OoC: Congratulations you each get 200 points for the battle and a First Steps accomplishment for making it into the dungeon which gets you 300 extra points. Also 400 XP.

Raunchel
2014-10-10, 03:40 AM
Helia gathers the three scorpions and starts intoning her spell over them, raising them from the dead.

Helia raises them as zombies, with +4 strength and +3 hit points per hd. They also get full ranks in perform (whatever I can get scorpions to do, let's make them dance) and a charisma of 7, along with all the usual zombie changes. I will make a sheet for them as soon as I know one simple thing, how large are they? At that same time I will also deduct the gold for their raising.

Zaydos
2014-10-10, 09:15 AM
Helia raises them as zombies, with +4 strength and +3 hit points per hd. They also get full ranks in perform (whatever I can get scorpions to do, let's make them dance) and a charisma of 7, along with all the usual zombie changes. I will make a sheet for them as soon as I know one simple thing, how large are they? At that same time I will also deduct the gold for their raising.

Large, 5 HD. Which means create 10 HD zombies (requires CL 5), unless something is pumping your control limit you can only control 32 HD of undead with Animate Dead (3 zombie scorpions), and each one would cost 250 GP of black onyx.

Zombie Scorpion (Large)
Large Undead
HD: 10d12+33 (98 hp)
Init: -1
Speed: 50-ft.
AC: 18 (-1 size, -1 Dex, +10 natural)
BAB/Grp: +2/+13
Atk: Claw +8 melee (1d6+7)
Full Atk: See Atk
SA: None
SQ: Darkvision 60-ft, undead traits, DR 5/slashing, Single Actions Only
SV: Fort +3, Ref +2, Will +7
Abilities: Str 25, Dex 8, Con -, Int -, Wis 10, Cha 7
Skills: Perform (Dance) +11.

Alihandros
2014-10-10, 07:05 PM
Before he starts searching the room for an idea of how to get out, Urulooke will use a charge from one of his wands to heal himself up.

Use Magic Device:[roll0]
If successful, lesser vigor for 1/round healing.

Search:[roll1]
Knowledge History:[roll2]
Knowledge Arcana:[roll3]

Ok, what are the odds of the forum roller doing that?

HP:80/87 AC:27
Buffs:Beguiling Influence
Light: Darkvision

Zaydos
2014-10-10, 07:08 PM
The room itself is hexagonal, each wall 20-ft long. In the middle of each wall but the one to the left of entrance is a pair of old stone double doors. Looking to the sides of the entrance you can see where hinges once stood, but they seem to have been hacked apart by something in days of old and the doors carried away, perhaps because they were made of valuable metal.

Above each of the 4 doors is a symbol. Counterclockwise, starting from the door in the wall segment to your right these symbols are: A sword (http://www.wordans.com/wvc-1276734564/wordansfiles/images/2010/6/16/37058/37058_340.jpg); a cube (http://developer.blackberry.com/playbook/native/files/documentation/gry1339512333280.png); an eye (http://callcharles.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Eye-Symbol.png); a set of 9 dots (http://www.stuffwecomeupwit.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/9punti1.gif).

OoC: Or are you searching for another way out of the room than the 4 obvious doors? In which case where first?

Also odds of that specific order of rolls is 1 in 160000 (this is the odd of any combination of 4 rolls IN ORDER), if you mean 3 of the same roll in a row that's 1 in 400 (3 18s in specific in a row is 1 in 8000)

Alihandros
2014-10-10, 07:15 PM
OoC: I was just curious as if there was anything our first impressions missed when we took in the room. Or if there was some old bit of lore that would maybe be know. I'll start by the sword door.

And wow, I didn't realize all 3 were.....ok, lottery time I'll be back. :smallcool:

Zaydos
2014-10-10, 07:19 PM
OoC: I was just curious as if there was anything our first impressions missed when we took in the room. Or if there was some old bit of lore that would maybe be know. I'll start by the sword door.

And wow, I didn't realize all 3 were.....ok, lottery time I'll be back. :smallcool:

There very well could be, but I wanted to make sure you had noticed the obvious doors. Start by sword and go counter clockwise?

Zaydos
2014-10-10, 09:15 PM
You find nothing of note at the sword door.

OoC: Roll 1/wall (and label which is which wall) if you want to continue searching. If anybody else wants to do something... I'd say post now, but I'm going to be without internet most of tomorrow.

Woggle
2014-10-11, 12:43 PM
Artemisia walks carefully from doorway to doorway, examining each wall and symbol carefully, keeping a particular eye out for traps of any sort.

Beginning with sword wall, then counterclockwise.
[roll0] Sword Wall

[roll1] Cube Wall

[roll2] Eye Wall

[roll3] Dot Wall

[roll4] Blank Wall

General K. Arcana and Dungeoneering checks for the room.
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]

Zaydos
2014-10-12, 11:20 AM
Artemisia walks carefully from doorway to doorway, examining each wall and symbol carefully, keeping a particular eye out for traps of any sort.

You find nothing.

Alihandros
2014-10-12, 09:50 PM
"So we pick one at random? I say we go the one with the sword after it's given a thorough once over."

With that he will motion to the shadows, and a small humanoid shape melds from them. Roughly gnome shaped, it will inspect the door.

Search:[roll0]
Disable Device:[roll1]
Open Lock:[roll2]

Zaydos
2014-10-12, 09:58 PM
It finds nothing, except that the door does not seem to be locked or even have a mechanism to lock it.

Alihandros
2014-10-14, 09:27 AM
"Then shall we mark our way, and proceed?"

Just awaiting input from the others, or I can trudge on ahead and wait for them to catchup.

Raunchel
2014-10-14, 10:34 AM
"Yes, let us continue.", Helia says. She now is followed by the three scorpions. "Perhaps one of my toys could keep the rear, and the other two in the front to ward off enemies?"

Woggle
2014-10-14, 07:23 PM
"That seems like a sound course of action to me," Artemisia replies. "I'll follow behind them." Artemisia refills her quiver with arrows, checking over her equipment quickly, then follows behind the two lead scorpions as soon as they are sent down the passage, again marking the wall with chalk intermittently.

Zaydos
2014-10-16, 02:18 AM
The door opens without resistance, you see a small stone hallway, 10-ft wide. It goes 10-ft then to the right for 10-ft before turning back towards the left. The hallway turns to the left again a mere 10-ft after that, the stone becoming unfinished, and then 10-ft later it turns back to the right opening into a 60-ft diameter room of uneven and natural stone, a boulder sitting in the middle with gold laying scattered across it. At the far end of the room is what seems to be a gap in the stone that would allow further progress.

Alihandros
2014-10-17, 05:18 PM
Looking around at the sudden transition, "I'd suggest sending one of the disposable ones towards the rock to see what happens."

With that Urulooke will let his gaze wonder.

Raunchel
2014-10-17, 05:23 PM
Silently Helia directs one of the leading scorpions towards the boulder, preferring it to be destroyed over losing one of her companions.

Zaydos
2014-10-17, 05:30 PM
There is no immediate reaction.

Woggle
2014-10-17, 05:30 PM
Artemisia nods in agreement, readying an arrow as the undead scorpion servant makes its way toward the center of the room and the gold-topped bolder, keeping watch warily.

A spot check, if need be:
[roll0]

Oops, a little too slow on the draw :smallsmile:

Alihandros
2014-10-20, 10:33 AM
Urulooke will get closer to the rock, and let loose a gout of flame that will hopefully shed some light on the situation.

[roll0] Fire Damage
Reflex DC 21
Edit: Again, need to remember to PM Shadowfirelance about size/shape of this thing, doing so now :smallfrown:

Zaydos
2014-10-20, 01:23 PM
Fire into the room/towards the far wall?

Alihandros
2014-10-20, 02:32 PM
Yes, towards the gold covered rock and past that depending on range, trying not to roast the minions.

Zaydos
2014-10-20, 02:58 PM
As Urulooke breathes his flame something suddenly strikes at the kobold's head. Its arm is a long, heavy stone limb striking him in the head from behind (29 damage, ). Before Artemisia can react the arm has retracted back out of view.

You feel your life being siphoned away (1 negative level unless you have some immunity/resistance). You can see it squatting in the curve of the cave, over the door, a creature of stone. Its eyes, two dull gems, stare at you, filled with hunger and with hate.

The zombie scorpions in the room can see the creature, but cannot communicate what they see particularly well.

It is Artemisia's turn because they're the only one which rolled higher than the creature.

Woggle
2014-10-23, 05:55 PM
Steeling herself, Artemisia tumbles quickly through the doorway into the room, attempting to avoid any swipes from above. She then turns about quickly and lets loose an arrow at the creature lying in wait above the doorway.

[roll0] To avoid any attacks of opportunity while moving through the doorway.
[roll1] To make out the creature.
[roll2]
[roll3] (piercing and slashing)

Zaydos
2014-10-24, 07:09 PM
Artemisia moves towards Urulooke, the rocky ground making footing difficult. As she looks back over her shoulder towards the creature where it lurks in the corner of roof and wall it strikes her (23 damage).

The creature lurks still half melded with the stone. A creature of moving rock, and black, loamy dirt, it looks at you with two dull stone-eyes before it strikes you. The stony fist hits you and you can feel a great hunger from it as it pulls your life out of you and into itself (1 negative level).

OoC: I think you might be able to guess the Knowledge check now :smallwink:

Zaydos
2014-11-08, 10:25 PM
The arrow thuds deep into the stone creature cracking into it. The creature roars but continues to strike at Urulooke stony fist hitting him hard twice (30 pre DR damage, and 22 pre DR damage).

Each strike seems to siphon more and more of your life (2 negative levels) as the creature hungrily feeds upon your vital forces.

I'm going to say that you have the Knowledge (Religion) to recognize that the energy drain indicates that it's probably undead of some sort... though earth elemental-ish.

Alihandros
2014-11-08, 10:32 PM
I'll activate my SLA, in response to the attack using an immediate action.

Immediate Action: SLA:Wings of Cover

Zaydos
2014-11-08, 10:38 PM
I'll activate my SLA, in response to the attack using an immediate action.

Immediate Action: SLA:Wings of Cover

It'd stop the 1st attack but the 2nd would still go through.

Alihandros
2014-11-09, 10:18 AM
Urulooke will charge at the beast, trying to ensure that his fellows can get off a shot as well.

Attack:[roll0]
Attack:[roll1]
Critical Confirmation:[roll2]
Critical Confirmation:[roll3]
Damage:[roll4]
Critical Damage:[roll5]

*Damage Cannot be Regenerated*

Zaydos
2014-11-09, 12:42 PM
Urulooke's claws scrape uselessly along the creature's surface even as it strikes him in his upwards charge (15 damage before DR, it got lucky there).

Another Negative level; this should bring you to 3 negative levels and 60 damage after DR 2, or 75 with the hp reduction from Negative levels.

Woggle
2014-11-10, 10:14 PM
Artemisia shivers as she feels part of her life-force drained from her. She recovers quickly, however, and, seeing Urolooke charge forward, she lets loose a volley of arrows at the undead monstrosity.

Taking a 5-foot step away from the creature, Artemisia will then take a full-round attack action. Also, as long as Urolooke is not grappling, Precise Shot should allow Artemisia to fire into combat with no penalty.
[roll0] (+1 point blank shot, +2 K. Devotion, not sure if inspiration is still in effect)
[roll1] (+1 PBS, +2 K. Devotion, +4 Undead favored enemy)

[roll2]
[roll3]

[roll4]
[roll5]

Zaydos
2014-11-11, 02:12 AM
The creature screams out as three arrows thud into its stony exterior puncturing into it one after another.

OoC: It is now wounded (60-90% hp)

Raunchel
2014-11-12, 06:15 AM
Seeing the nature of her foe Helia stays to the back, keeping up the song that should aid her companions.

Still going strong with inspire courage, giving everyone +3 to hit and damage..