PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Double Walking Stick Katana: Clarification

Elfkin_King
2014-09-15, 10:52 PM
So, with Path of War I've discovered a new love for the Double Walking stick Katana, since it works with so many of the disciplines. Now, the weapon, according to RAW, functions as a quarterstaff with a x3 crit, and the blades function as wakizashi's when it's unsheathed. On the tables I've seen, it says that it does bludgeoning damage, which, from what I've gathered, is only for when it's in its quarterstaff state.

My questions: when it's unsheathed, does it create two physical weapons, or is it closer to the Two Bladed sword? I googled it and looked at the images, and it looked like it was the former. But I'm not entirely sure.

And how does enchanting it work? Do you give 1 set of enchantments for the entire thing, or for each side? And if you do enchant each side individually, do you need to enchant each blade and butt (quarterstaff ends) separately (totaling 4 enchantment sets: one for each blade and one for each side of the quarter staff)?

Are there rules for this, or is it DM/GM rulings on how that works?

Psyren
2014-09-15, 11:33 PM
Each side of a double weapon is enchanted individually: "Creating magic double-headed weapons is treated as creating two weapons when determining cost, time, and special abilities."

This particular weapon is a special case however. In many ways it is treated like three weapons - A quarterstaff when sheathed, and two wakizashi when unsheathed. Three weapons, but 4 total ends to "enchant."

ghanjrho
2014-09-16, 12:17 AM
As its a double weapon, you would need to enchant both ends separately. However, for the quarter staff-alike aspect of it, I apply the rule from the Spinning Lance ability* (dragoon archtype): the enhancement of the blade carries over to that end of the sheathed weapon; however any effects that only apply to slashing/piercing weapons are useless. Simple, easy, and cheap.

*the ability as written also allows you to use the handle of your lance as a club in squares adjacent to you, carrying the enhancements of the lance end over in the described fashion. IIRC, the Zweihander Sentinel has a similar rule for its not!shield bashes.

Elfkin_King
2014-09-16, 12:23 AM
Each side of a double weapon is enchanted individually: "Creating magic double-headed weapons is treated as creating two weapons when determining cost, time, and special abilities."

This particular weapon is a special case however. In many ways it is treated like three weapons - A quarterstaff when sheathed, and two wakizashi when unsheathed. Three weapons, but 4 total ends to "enchant."

That's awesome. :) is it reasonable to use weapon finesse with the wakizashi parts? I'm assuming that all feats dealing with the double walking stick Katana (focus, specialization, etc) effect all pieces?

Psyren
2014-09-16, 12:33 AM
That's awesome. :) is it reasonable to use weapon finesse with the wakizashi parts? I'm assuming that all feats dealing with the double walking stick Katana (focus, specialization, etc) effect all pieces?

Unfortunately it's not quite that clear-cut. Despite my statement above, it only "more closely resembles" a pair of wakizashi when opened up. That does not mean the constituent halves are light weapons or that they work with "Weapon Focus (Wakizashi)" and similar feats.

This is one representation of what it looks like:

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2009/347/6/9/Double_Katana_Sword_Staff_by_FantasyStock.jpg

Elfkin_King
2014-09-16, 01:14 AM
Unfortunately it's not quite that clear-cut. Despite my statement above, it only "more closely resembles" a pair of wakizashi when opened up. That does not mean the constituent halves are light weapons or that they work with "Weapon Focus (Wakizashi)" and similar feats.

This is one representation of what it looks like:

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2009/347/6/9/Double_Katana_Sword_Staff_by_FantasyStock.jpg

Yeah, that's the picture I saw. But what I meant about the feats (other than weapon finesse) is stuff like "weapon focus: double walking stick katana " affecting both blades as well as the staff.