PDA

View Full Version : question about master of mask

dreamex
2014-09-16, 03:13 AM
Hello, i am new here~

I am working on a npc that have multiple personality disorder(for magical reason..)
he will be a
Master of Masks + chameleon (may be start with Factotum or rogue..)
he will have completely different personality at different time.

my question is,
the lich mask state that
"Your alignment appears to be neutral evil while you wear a lich mask. Furthermore, you register as an undead creature with Hit Dice equal to your character level to any form of magical divination (such as detect undead)"

1. what would happen if the npc wearing a lich mask walking towards some zombie? (human/dragon/whatever)
will zombie ignore him?
[assume the zombie is given order to kill any living creatures.]
2. would it matter if the npc have Hidden Mask (Su) ?

thank you.
this is my first post, hope it worth your time~

bekeleven
2014-09-16, 03:18 AM
If the zombie is told to kill the living, it would probably depend on how it was ordered. As a mindless creature, how does it determine living from unliving? Certainly not by using magical divination (except to the extent that all actions performed by a zombie are magical). Most mindless creatures can't distinguish targets more accurately than, say, height/uniform/emblem/skin color/number of limbs. Gross visual characteristics, and probably no more than two at a time. "Attack anything unless it's gray-skinned like you and wearing the badge of the keep."

So, basically, depends on the zombie. But I'd give it a "probably not," unless the zombie's master outfitted it with some simple magical item to enable its targeting (goggles of lifesight or some divining rod-type thing, maybe).

As for question 2, I always fluff hidden mask as not being a thing. If a DM insist that it is, I make sure I'm wearing a hat of disguise or similar. I feel like you have a -6 circumstance penalty to all social interactions if you walk around with a mask on... especially one of a lich.

Alanto
2014-09-16, 03:51 AM
Heh. Funny thing, I played a Master of masks recently that was Multiple. Interesting experience.

I'd basically agree with bekeleven - The zombie isn't smart enough to tell living from dead without some extra hint. And if you're assuming that, Hidden Mask wouldn't be massively relevant one way or another.

That said, with some good Disguise and Perform (Act), which you've got to have anyway, then I'd probably let a character fake it without too much trouble.

Oh, also, don't forget that while you're wearing the Lich Mask, you will ping *hard* on Detect Evil as well.

Talionis
2014-09-16, 03:22 PM
I wish Hidden Mask had been a level 2 ability. It seems silly that a character built to disguise itself as other classes has to wear a mask to gain the powers and attributes and then still has to worry about the mask. Talk to your DM. I hate Master of Masks without Hidden Mask and have had to go with Hat of Disguise, which isn't too much of a stretch because it makes sense this type of character would want one anyway.

I would say that the Lich Mask does help make you look like undead. It covers lots of intangibles, but without disguise, which you are really good at so it shouldn't be a problem to fool lesser undead. And again it would also depend on what actual "orders" they are working under.

But Lich mask covers everything you can't cover with Disguise and Perform Acting checks, but only if they would ignore Undead.

dreamex
2014-09-17, 08:52 PM
Thanks
One more question,
Is it sense motive vs disguise
Or just something like DC25