PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Evoker from Phandelver Cantrip and 4th lvl picks help

Glarnog
2014-09-16, 05:22 AM
I am more or less playing the Elf Wiz from the starter set and having a blast with the adventure. The character is 3rd level heading towards 4th. Which will be the last chance to pick another cantrip before 6th. At 6th the Evoker gets Potent Cantrip. Where cantrips do half damage on failed saves. The only damaging cantrips the character has are Shocking Grasp and Ray of Frost, neither of which have saving throws. I was hoping to pick up another utility cantrip like Mending or Minor Illusion, or even True Strike to try to off set the now seemingly poor choice of picking up Melf's at 3rd lvl. Is it worth Picking up Acid Spash or Posion Spray(I think those are the only 2 Wiz cantrips with Saving Throws) just to take advatage of Potent Cantrip?

Thanks

P.S. any ideas for other spells to pick up at 4th level would be much appreciated it too. Currently:
1st: Burning Hands, Charm Person, Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic, Identify, Mage Armor, Magic Missle, Sheild, and Sleep
2nd: Melf's and Spider Climb
The character currently has the Staff of Defense

Thanks Again

Rilak
2014-09-16, 05:37 AM
Acid Splash is not bad. It's almost guaranteed damage with 6th level evoker, which is rare for cantrips. It can also hit two targets, and when it does it deals more damage than Fire Bolt. Until level 10 when you add INT modifier to Evocation spells (Acid Splash is a Conjuration). Later on you will most likely always use the evocation cantrips for damage (in the end, Acid Splash is 8d6 (28) save for half on two targets; Fire Bolt is 4d10+5 (27) miss for none).

Ferrin33
2014-09-16, 07:02 AM
Acid Splash is not bad. It's almost guaranteed damage with 6th level evoker, which is rare for cantrips. It can also hit two targets, and when it does it deals more damage than Fire Bolt. Until level 10 when you add INT modifier to Evocation spells (Acid Splash is a Conjuration). Later on you will most likely always use the evocation cantrips for damage (in the end, Acid Splash is 8d6 (28) save for half on two targets; Fire Bolt is 4d10+5 (27) miss for none).

That's assuming two targets are next to each other, which will not always be the case. You could say Poison Spray does 16d10 if we're going to assume specific positioning. (4 enemies in a 10 ft cube). So to say it deals the most damage is not true unless you mean "deals the most damage total if there's two targets with 5ft of each other more than 10 feet away from you."

To OP: True Strike gives you another attack roll for one action, making it more useful to actually use the action to cast another cantrip instead to still get two rolls, but to have the chance to damage with both rolls. This is assuming you'd be using it to aim with cantrips though, and it might be worth it to use it with disintegrate(6th) I guess.

Rilak
2014-09-16, 07:04 AM
You could say Poison Spray does 16d10 if we're going to assume specific positioning. (4 enemies in a 10 ft cube).

Except Poison Spray hits a single target within 10 ft.

Ferrin33
2014-09-16, 07:20 AM
Except Poison Spray hits a single target within 10 ft.

My bad, even got the damage dice wrong. (rest of my post still stands though)

koscum
2014-09-16, 07:48 AM
True Strike is worth taking only if you are a) a lvl7+ Eldritch Knight, b) going to use it to cast a spell that is not a cantrip, has an attack roll, and really need that advantage to hit or you just want to crit-fish with your Disintegrate. Keep in mind that it has only 30ft. range, making it quite situation.
Acid Splash is good for chipping high-AC, low Dex meatshields, and when you get access to Potent Cantrip, it can be used to have safe damage against high-AC, high-saves targets if you can't afford/don't have spell slots.