PDA

View Full Version : Optimization The Four Winds [Part 1/4]

Yael
2014-09-16, 05:34 AM
I am working in a really good plot arc (imo, of course), where the final bosses are four monks in the Master of the X Wind, located in the Dragon Magazine #314.

The theme are four bosses that are being fought at the same time, but they all four have a diferent role.

This time, I want to work with the Master of the East Wind, class that advances full arcane spellcasting, advances familiar, monk abilities and gives out for free the Air Domain.

The build so far, looks like this: Monk 4 / Domain Combat Wizard 5 / Master of the East Wind 5 for a 14th-level NPC with a CR of 12 (IMO, again, even when DMG would put it at 14th). Also, this thingy is using the entire feat combo (Keen Intellect, Faerie Mysteries Initiate, Carmendine Monk, Kung-Fu Genius) to make less MAD the monk side, focusing entirely on Intelligence, for the synergy with Wizard. So far, I've used:
[1st] Keen Intellect
[Human] Kung-Fu Genius
[Flaw] Able Learner
[Flaw] Way of the Scorpion
[3rd] Carmendine Monk
[Wizard] Improved Initiative
[6th] Faerie Mysteries Initiate
[12th] Snap Kick

Leaving open two flaws, both 1st and 2nd-level monk bonus feats, and 9th feat slot (I've used the 5th bonus feat of wizard to trade for Domain Granted Power, from the Travel Domain, not sure if it works the way I see it, but I'll try, also, if my read was correct, when you adquire the Air domain from Master of X, you gain also all benefits from the chosen domain, but it could be DM approval?)

So far, so good? This is not specialized in anything special, just being a monk, human, traded slow fall for wall walker, and fast movement for standing jump. Chosen the Hummingbird. I could use some advice, here.

Edit: Forgot stats, these are (in order) 17, 14, 10, 16, 8, 9.

Andion Isurand
2014-09-16, 06:32 AM
well, technically, ancestor feats like Keen Intellect, can only be taken at first level...

and I think that Carmendine Monk and Kung-Fu Genius feats might be redundant, and I would go with the first if you've refluffed it for general use

and instead of Improved Initiative...
...I would look into the Way of The Scorpion technique feat from Rokugan Campaign Setting (pg 57)...
which basically allows you to add your intelligence modifier to initiative in addition to your dexterity modifier.

And as long as you're enjoying a lot of skill points, the Able Learner feat might be a good choice for your human at 1st level, in addition to Keen Intellect

Yael
2014-09-16, 01:07 PM
well, technically, ancestor feats like Keen Intellect, can only be taken at first level...

and I think that Carmendine Monk and Kung-Fu Genius feats might be redundant, and I would go with the first if you've refluffed it for general use

and instead of Improved Initiative...
...I would look into the Way of The Scorpion technique feat from Rokugan Campaign Setting (pg 57)...
which basically allows you to add your intelligence modifier to initiative in addition to your dexterity modifier.

And as long as you're enjoying a lot of skill points, the Able Learner feat might be a good choice for your human at 1st level, in addition to Keen Intellect

True, will trade FMI to 6th level, and KInt to the 1st level slot. Able Learner is a good feat, maybe for skills like UMD?

Andion Isurand
2014-09-16, 04:53 PM
For any skills really, although the feat doesn't rid you of the limit on skill ranks for cross class skills.