PDA

View Full Version : Stat advice

SliceandDiceKid
2014-09-16, 07:48 AM
Here's what I rolled (3d6)

Gnome wizard

We allow players to change any two stats. Do I need to switch the con out? Or can I survive with 8 con (racial mod)?

Also, I'm going to roll background noble, and I plan to specialize in enchantment. Any suggestions for starting spells? The only cantrip that really catches my eye is prestidigitation.

Yorrin
2014-09-16, 07:53 AM
I would HIGHLY advise you switch out Str and Con. Str gains a Wizard virtually nothing (gish builds being the exception, but I assume that's not what you're going for), but Con will not only make sure the first archer you see will fail to kill you, but it's also one of the commonly targeted saves against spells and effects.

EvilAnagram
2014-09-16, 08:04 AM
Definitely switch out Str and Con. Con gives you HP, while Str will give a wizard nothing.

SliceandDiceKid
2014-09-16, 08:07 AM
Is it viable to roll with 11 int?

Won't the dc be terrible and I'll miss most attacks?

Yorrin
2014-09-16, 08:17 AM
Is it viable to roll with 11 int?

Won't the dc be terrible and I'll miss most attacks?

I assumed you had the 16 in int and just wrote stuff down out of order? If you didn't put your highest stat as your casting stat as a Gnomish Wizard.... frankly DnD might not be the right game for you.

Yuki Akuma
2014-09-16, 08:20 AM
Being a Gnome bumps your Intelligence to 13, which is... acceptable. That'll be a +3 on spell attacks and a DC of 11 - as long as you can work out your enemies' bad saves, they should fail about 55% of the time.

That said, it is probably a good idea to focus on buffing your allies rather than attacking your enemies - in that case, your low Int doesn't matter. Be sure to put all of your ability score increases into Int, though.

I assumed you had the 16 in int and just wrote stuff down out of order? If you didn't put your highest stat as your casting stat as a Gnomish Wizard.... frankly DnD might not be the right game for you.

They're generating stats 2e-style - 3d6, in order. He didn't have a choice where to put that 16.

Theodoxus
2014-09-16, 08:28 AM
Have you thought about possibly going cleric instead? They're not quite as strong in the enchantment department, but going Knowledge gives access to Suggestion, while Trickery grants Charm Person.

Totally different flavor of character, so I understand not wanting to do that... but if you're forced to go with 3d6 in order, without the option to take the standard array... I'd play to the strengths of the roll rather than trying to shoehorn a concept that will be marginal at best - a 13 Int will make for a difficult time trying to land enchantments...

SliceandDiceKid
2014-09-16, 08:36 AM

No need to be rude I rolled them in order

EvilAnagram
2014-09-16, 08:39 AM
Oh, okay. If you're dead set on a wizard, then definitely bring that 16 over to INT.

If you aren't, try a Druid or Cleric, and switch out something for CON.

pikeamus
2014-09-16, 08:40 AM
Have you thought about possibly going cleric instead? They're not quite as strong in the enchantment department, but going Knowledge gives access to Suggestion, while Trickery grants Charm Person.

Totally different flavor of character, so I understand not wanting to do that... but if you're forced to go with 3d6 in order, without the option to take the standard array... I'd play to the strengths of the roll rather than trying to shoehorn a concept that will be marginal at best - a 13 Int will make for a difficult time trying to land enchantments...

Cleric of Baravar Cloakshadow (if he still exists in 5e) wouldn't be a million miles from the concept. That's definitely the way I'd want to go.

SliceandDiceKid
2014-09-16, 08:50 AM
I haven't even looked at cleric or Druid, but Druid sounds fun. I was pretty dead set on wizard.

Inevitability
2014-09-16, 08:53 AM
Well then, why do you want to be a wizard? Is there anything about the class you just really like?

SliceandDiceKid
2014-09-16, 09:28 AM
Yes. I really want to be a scholar, but don't want to be hung up on religion. I like the enchantment specialization and the basic concept of a wizard.

Oscredwin
2014-09-16, 09:42 AM
Play a Cleric with the Knowledge Domain. That will get you the scholarly things you're looking for.

Stan
2014-09-16, 10:24 AM
Play a Cleric with the Knowledge Domain. That will get you the scholarly things you're looking for.

That 's sound advice.

If you're set on Wizard and given rolled in order stats with one change, you have two basic paths. The first is to switch str/con and be the back of class wizard with 12 Int, bumping it up over time. You won't be a great wizard but you'll be ok. Spells without saves or attack rolls are not affected (though I think many enchantments have saves). Int doesn't give you bonus spells anymore. You know what they call the person who graduates at the bottom at med school? Doctor. This is perfectly fine and could contribute to roleplaying. Maybe your parents pushed you in this direction. Or, you always wanted to be a wizard so worked twice as hard to be average.

The second option is to switch int/wis and be the paper wizard with 1d6-1 hp per level. The viability of this depends on whether you DM likes to go gunning for spellcasters. If you stay in the back, try not to get noticed too soon, and have a few defensive spells, it's common for wizards to go through a battle without taking any damage.

Yuki Akuma
2014-09-16, 11:32 AM
Yes. I really want to be a scholar, but don't want to be hung up on religion. I like the enchantment specialization and the basic concept of a wizard.

'Scholar' is a background. Literally any class can be a scholar.

Person_Man
2014-09-16, 12:14 PM
Note that 5E presumes 4d6 drop the lowest, and then arrange in the order you prefer. The difficulty of the monsters presume this. Your Ability Scores are quite low (though certainly within the norm of rolling 3d6) and so no matter how you order them, you're going to end up with poor AC or hit points or Saves.

Assuming that your DM does not allow you to reroll using the default method or a point buy, I would suggest being a Rogue instead of a Wizard. They only require high Dex and decent Con, which you could squeeze out of these scores.

TheOOB
2014-09-16, 12:26 PM
If you're going straight straight stat generation, you have to live with the fact that you may not be able to play the character you wanted. Think from a roleplay perspective, how would a character with average int learn how to cast wizard spells?. I would say to make your high stat int, except that a 7 con is basically suicide for any character.

Honestly, I'd swap str with con and make my character a druid. That's the only "good" class for your stats IMO.

Totema
2014-09-16, 12:57 PM
Woah, you did it Iron Man style? 3d6 in order? Badass. I thought most groups abandoned that after 3.0 came out.

Mr.Moron
2014-09-16, 01:18 PM
Wizard probably won't work. Since you can change any two stats, I suggest you switch your 11 in INT with your current 0 in being a bear. Then you'll be 11/10 bear, which is the most bear you can be, plus one. You'll be able to smash stuff, maul people, and eat salmon.

SliceandDiceKid
2014-09-16, 02:22 PM
'Scholar' is a background. Literally any class can be a scholar.

Yes, but the wizard class seems to compliment it. Thank you for a mildly scathing, unproductive comment.

Inevitability
2014-09-16, 02:28 PM
Yes, but the wizard class seems to compliment it. Thank you for a mildly scathing, unproductive comment.

It sure wasn't 'unproductive'. The poster was just telling that what you wanted to be, a scholar, didn't have to be created with the wizard class.

What parts of the wizard class do you think compliment it?

Sylian
2014-09-16, 04:01 PM
Assuming 4 hp rolled/taken per level, 6 at level 1.

Level 5 with 8 Con: 17 hp
Level 9 with 8 con: 29 hp

Level 5 with 12 con: 27 hp
Level 9 with 12 con: 47 hp

Being a frail scholar could be interesting to roleplay. You could use defensive spells to avoid instantly dying, I suppose. If you do die, you might get to roll again and you might get better rolls that way. :smallamused:

Yagyujubei
2014-09-16, 04:57 PM
just as an example, but if you go into HotDQ with con that low you're gonna get crushed in the first session. the upside is that when you die at first level, you'll be able to try again with your rolls.

Honestly with this type of stat rolling, you have to choose your class around your rolls and not the other way around. I'm with the others on this, you should really go a knowledge cleric and swap out CON for CHA. There are plenty of gods in DnD that value scholarly pursuits above all else.

Felvion
2014-09-17, 08:03 AM
Considering that you rolled in such a hardcore way I'd say your stats are pretty good ones!
If i got it right you haven't applied racial bonuses yet so your INT is tottaly 13.
Switching your STR with CON is reasonable. This way you are not too frail and your INT is low but acceptable. It doesn't help you much when it comes to enchantment but you'll have to live with it. It should definately be your lvl4 upgraded stat. 15 is quite better than 13 and imo acceptable for casting stat. If you live up to lvl8 i would make INT16 and CON14. Then you have a wizard with enough INT to walk around and quite good defenses (add to this the racial advantage to mental saves and you're really a cool wizard).
The other recommended switch is the one leaving you with 8 in CON and a 16 in INT. Your enchantments are harded to resist but you may find difficulties in survivng up to lvl4. Then a +2 to Con or the Tough feat would help a lot leaving you with less worries.
In overall, my opinion is that you should make one of these switches depending on how you roleplay them, they both easily fit the scholar background.
The first one could be the guy that hardly met the prerequisites to be a wizard but was stubborn enough to make it happen. He'll never be the brightest amongst the wizardfolk, but with hard work he'll see his powers grow.
The second one is the nerd-wizard. Frail as ****, but powerfull. Something like Raistlin for example. This route you could even leave your CON low as hell and become more INT-greedy.
Just make sure you build around something you're gonna have fun with, stats come second imo. Hope I helped!