PDA

View Full Version : need help with build.

morkendi
2014-09-16, 09:32 AM
Want to try a tibbit sneaky warlock. Thinking beguiler 1/ warlock 4/ unseen sear. Any ideas on feats with this? Would evocatons and blast work in cat form? I know spells with verbal and somatic dont.

Red Fel
2014-09-16, 09:48 AM
Want to try a tibbit sneaky warlock. Thinking beguiler 1/ warlock 4/ unseen sear. Any ideas on feats with this? Would evocatons and blast work in cat form? I know spells with verbal and somatic dont.

Ordinarily, things without hands and fingers cannot perform somatic components, which are a vital part of your Warlock invocations and EB. Tibbit specifically calls out verbal and somatic components in its Feline Transformation entry; you can't use them as an ittybittykitty. The Surrogate Spellcasting feat (Savage Species) will basically become a feat tax if you intent to use EB and invocations in cat form.

Note, however, that there is an alternative. Any invocation that gives a passive 24-hour benefit does not require the use of continuous somatic components. Basically, if you mostly use those, and don't EB while in cat form, there is no need to worry. You can simply switch to humanoid form to use active invocations and EB, then back into your invisible flying cat form when you don't need your actives.

Or, you know, Surrogate Spellcasting.

Seclora
2014-09-16, 10:18 AM
Seconding Surrogate Spellcasting, If you plan on being sneaky you'll also want Darkstalker so you can hide from all those superior senses like Blindsight and Tremorsense.

Out of curiosity, are you familiar with Laser Cats?

morkendi
2014-09-16, 11:08 AM
Says a tibbit has to wait 1 hour to turn back to cat form. So i will have to use the feat to allow it casting. This is going to be a city campaign. My idea i am working out with a friend is that he is playing a wizard, and i want to pretend to be his familiar. Plus who notices a stray cat in a city. I thought it would be different.

Daishain
2014-09-16, 11:28 AM
As mentioned above, you need shenanigans to cast EBs, along with the rest, in cat form.

What exactly is your goal here? If it is sneaky magic assisted rogue, there's a rather nice class called the psychic rogue that does exactly that. In fact I believe a handbook for the class is currently sinking down the second or third page of this subforum.

Unlike Vancian casting, psionics requires neither verbal nor somatic components, meaning that you masquerading as the alley cat licking itself over in the corner has no effect on being able to use powers to "listen in" on everyone around in the area, start a fight with ventriloquism Gandalf style, telekinetically throw a key out the window for later retrieval, whatever.

Edit: Just took a look at the feat. That would certainly work. Though I'd hate to blow a feat on just being able to cast normally.

morkendi
2014-09-16, 11:41 AM
Dm doesn't allow the web content. Has to be in a book even though psy rogue was put out by WoTC. I think lurk id in book, but not what i want.