PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder P6 with Mythic - any comments?

Chaosvii7
2014-09-16, 10:12 AM
I'm working on crafting a compilation of stuff for a P6 game, which includes a few homebrewed classes and some easy and simple houserules. I'm intent on making it as fun as possible, and I was wondering if anybody who's done regular P6 has and would recommend adding Mythic levels on top of the progression? They don't explicitly count for levels, but they still raise CR(just like the feats) and it could mean that it extends the lifespan just a bit farther(technically a Rank 10 mythic with full E6 progression would be about CR 16, but I'm not sure I'd go that far as to try throwing that high level things at players.)

Any comments or critique?

CockroachTeaParty
2014-09-16, 10:22 AM
Actually the APL calculation is half your mythic tier + your level, so a level 6 tier 10 party would be roughly on par with an APL 11 group. Whether this is true in practice, I couldn't say. Remember that at Tier 9+, the characters would be immortal.

Kol Korran
2014-09-16, 03:22 PM
I have just started playing with mythic rules, but even from the outset they seem to be far beyond the power level of most "regular" abilities. From reading it I think they will change the game dramatically to a power level that, in it's very essence, is contrary to what E6/P6 is trying to achieve... Mythic rules are meant for... Mythic proportions adventures and campaigns, with suprem powers, and breaking out all of the fireworks and super duper stuff.

Why play P6 at all if you bring that to the table?

Psyren
2014-09-16, 03:39 PM

Mythic gives mundanes non-spellcasters some very nice things. Tricks like being able to throw an entire cone of weapons, ignore the hardness of force effects, charge through allied squares, not auto-miss on 1s, use grappled foes as meat shields, be healed while dead, and gain immunity to select conditions (like confusion or domination.) I don't know that I'd bring in the whole mythic ruleset to get at them, but there is certainly an attraction to leveraging them, at least for the lower-tier classes.

Chaosvii7
2014-09-16, 08:42 PM

All of the flavor, with a new healthier recipe. SKR said that he thinks even the most powerful of humans are probably only about 6th level, so with that in mind a 6th level character with mythic ranks sounds about right to better capture a real epic hero.

Kol Korran
2014-09-17, 06:09 AM
All of the flavor, with a new healthier recipe. SKR said that he thinks even the most powerful of humans are probably only about 6th level, so with that in mind a 6th level character with mythic ranks sounds about right to better capture a real epic hero.

That is your choice. My point is that mythic rules don't make them "a real epic hero". It makes them super duper awesome/ beyond mortal abilities/ world greatest super heroes, which is really not what P6 was for. As Psyren mentioned, there are some cool abilities there, but if that appeals to you, I'd just nitpick the ones I like, maybe adjust them, and add them as sort of feats. The BASIC build of mythic characters, from mythic tier 3-4 if I'm not mistaken, makes them detached and beyond the normal coil of mortals.

Alleran
2014-09-17, 06:42 AM
Actually the APL calculation is half your mythic tier + your level, so a level 6 tier 10 party would be roughly on par with an APL 11 group. Whether this is true in practice, I couldn't say.
It isn't.

It's more or less 1 tier = 1 level, in practise. Sometimes much more, depending on what you take at that tier, or what you're getting (e.g. the Immortal ability you referenced, which functionally means that no spell can kill you and at 10th tier, or 9th with Mythic Paragon, it takes literal GM fiat in the form of giving artifacts to your opponents... which just means you get said artifacts after you do what murderhobos do).

I haven't tried it in a P6 game, but it's definitely something that you'd need to be very careful about. I probably wouldn't give more than one or maybe two tiers. Three at the absolute most, but at that point you'll notice some pretty major changes in the power scale.

Chaosvii7
2014-09-17, 09:15 AM
Actually the APL calculation is half your mythic tier + your level, so a level 6 tier 10 party would be roughly on par with an APL 11 group. Whether this is true in practice, I couldn't say. Remember that at Tier 9+, the characters would be immortal.

E6 rulebook suggests that every 5 or so feats is an effective +1 ECL, and that 20 feats is a soft cap, as anything more than that bogs the table down with so many options it brings the game to a drag. So assuming that I'd go all 10 ranks, all 6 levels, and 20 feats, the party would be between ECL 15 and 16. That was my original train of thought in the OP.