PDA

View Full Version : Ways to bump AC?

Graustein
2014-09-16, 10:39 AM
So I'm playing a truly random Wild Sorceress, by which I mean almost everything about her was randomised: race, ability scores (well, rolled and then assigned to stats), background, and - most importantly - spell list. For the sake of sanity we're allowing that for each spell level she's guaranteed a damaging spell (I roll from the list of damaging spells; I don't get to pick which one), and since sorcerers can swap out a spell each level I get to do that as well (I pick which spell I swap out, but I need to roll for what spell I get back).

It's working out ok, for the most part, and it's a lot of fun to roleplay. We're a low-op party, so although I'm clearly not The Best Possible Sorcerer I'm still contributing pretty well, especially with the DM doing a good job weaving our backgrounds and skills into the campaign.

The only thing I have a problem with is my AC. I don't have any armour proficiencies, I don't have the Mage Armour spell (and can't rely on getting it through random selection), I don't have any class features that give AC, which means my AC is sitting comfortably at 11 at lvl 3, with no real signs of intent to jump in the future. Without veering away from the character concept (so, no multiclassing), what options do I have to boost AC? I'm a bit stumped.

Thanks!

Vowtz
2014-09-16, 10:58 AM
feat: lightly armored

Magical items

Giant2005
2014-09-16, 11:04 AM
I know you said no multiclassing but doing so wouldn't be so far outside the bounds of your character concept - if I were in that much of a mess, I'd certainly consider turning to a higher power in an attempt to control the chaos of my existence, so a minor dip as a Warlock or Cleric before realizing that it isn't helping wouldn't be out of the question. Both those classes can help with the armor issue - particularly the Cleric.

Graustein
2014-09-16, 11:22 AM
I know you said no multiclassing but doing so wouldn't be so far outside the bounds of your character concept - if I were in that much of a mess, I'd certainly consider turning to a higher power in an attempt to control the chaos of my existence, so a minor dip as a Warlock or Cleric before realizing that it isn't helping wouldn't be out of the question. Both those classes can help with the armor issue - particularly the Cleric.

The Cleric one is really appealing to me since I happened to roll up a Dragonborn Acolyte, so the logical conclusion for fluff was a priest of Tiamat, fervently believing her powers to be gifted by the Queen of Dragons to serve Her will.

Except I dumped Wisdom, so that's not an option. My Int is also under 13, so no Wizard dip. A Warlock dip could work but I'm not sure how to roleplay seeking the power of another Great Being given my devotion to my Goddess. I'll think about that though!

feat: lightly armored

Magical items

I did think about that one, but it seemed a little bit... bland? I mean I would take it, but I was hoping for something a bit more exciting. I also can't rely on getting any given magic item in this campaign, although I could discuss it with my DM. Thanks though!

Giant2005
2014-09-16, 11:49 AM
It isn't much of a bonus and it is probably too insignificant to even notice with your base AC being so low (And it is also probably something you wouldn't actually want to happen) but Lycanthrope adds +1 to your AC.

DrLemniscate
2014-09-16, 11:55 AM
You could just go back and retcon her to be a Mountain Dwarf, then you get Medium Armor proficiency for free. It's not like you will be optimizing anything, since the 2 STR, 2 CON bonus isn't going to bump your damage. edit: didn't realize you've already played to level 3. I dunno.

On the randomizing spells, I would recommend picking up Chromatic Orb and spells like it and rolling to see what damage type you deal. Can also be used with things with several modes.

Graustein
2014-09-16, 12:00 PM
Haha yeah this isn't a new character; we're already underway, I'm just thinking about future advancement options that help my AC :smallbiggrin:

Yes, Chromatic Orb is the sort of spell I sincerely hoped for. I might get lucky in later levels! As it is, I've got Witch Bolt, which is a lot of fun to play around with, especially if I Twin it.

1of3
2014-09-17, 02:12 AM
You could get the character killed, reincarnated and roll mountain dwarf. That would be in line with the randomness. ;)

Envyus
2014-09-17, 02:23 AM
Just take the Moderately armored feat.