PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Ranger build help

macdaddy
2014-09-16, 11:58 AM
I have decided on a Ranger/Horizon Walker archery build. Yeah, not the most efficient damage dealer (swift hunter does it better, *MUCH* better), but it will be effective enough and have a good allotment of skills.

I need a little help deciding on Race (Wood Elf or Human) and Feats beyond PBS,Precise Shot.

Ranger 6 / Horizon Walker 2
ACF: Arcane Hunter (1st level favored enemy is arcane casters)
2nd favored enemy is undead

ACF: Distracting Attack (lose animal companion, anyone I hit and dmg counts as flanked by the next attack made by an ally). I don't want a pet.

Base Stats:
S: 14, Dex: 18, Con: 14, Int: 14, Wis: 13, Chr: 10

As a Wood Elf, I get:

+2 STR/DEX
-2 CON/INT
+2 Spot/Search/Listen

As a Human, I get:

8 extra Hps
1 Extra feat, Not sure what it would be as it would free up the 3rd level Feat slot, and everything good seems to require BaB 5/6+
+16 extra skill points, with some skill point redistribution, Hide/Move Silent could be maxed.

Possible feats at 6th level:
======================================
Woodland Archer
Improved Initiative
Improved Rapid Shot (Could take at 3rd if human)
Ranged Disarm
** can't really find anything else worth taking **

So, anyone have some opinions/comments to help me make a decision?

Extra Anchovies
2014-09-16, 12:20 PM
Human. For sure.

Constitution penalty hurts, and hurts hard. You already only have d8s, so you need the HP. Also, because of the Int penalty, a human gets two more skills than a wood elf with identical ability scores (one from human, one from Int). And archery is feat-heavy, so you'll need the feat.

General tip, unless you're playing an elf for racial requirements (such as for Link Eternal Blade), there's usually a better option.

gorfnab
2014-09-16, 12:43 PM
Nemesis (feat, BoED) set to Arcanists is a neat trick for the Arcane Hunter ACF.
Human with Education (feat, PGtF) and Knowledge Devotion (feat, CC) would be a way to get extra damage.

These handbooks may provide some more insight:
Archery Handbook (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=arj3lt40mohs5o5k6alee9nq71&topic=2892.0)
Toxophilite Archery Handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?269705-Toxophilite-The-Archery-Handbook)

Extra Anchovies
2014-09-16, 12:50 PM
Nemesis (feat, BoED) set to Arcanists is a neat trick for the Arcane Hunter ACF.
Human with Education (feat, PGtF) and Knowledge Devotion (feat, CC) would be a way to get extra damage.

These handbooks may provide some more insight:
Archery Handbook (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=arj3lt40mohs5o5k6alee9nq71&topic=2892.0)
Toxophilite Archery Handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?269705-Toxophilite-The-Archery-Handbook)

Seconding both Nemesis and Knowledge Devotion, especially with all the skill points you'll have. Invest in (Nature), (Arcana), (The Planes), and (Local) [because bonus damage vs all humanoids = really great]. Also possibly (Religion) if you've got the skills for it, but not (Dungeoneering) [oozes? those are mostly immune to piercing. And aberrations are big on random immunities, too]. Put at least one rank in each of the creature-linked Knowledges, though, so you at least get +1 or +2 against everyone. Bonus damage is your friend with ranged combat.

Optimator
2014-09-16, 01:30 PM
Woodland Archery from RotW is great for volley archers.

incarnate236
2014-09-16, 02:33 PM
If you're using psionics the psionic shot line could help out with the damage. I built a sniper style ranger/rogue as an NPC that used stealth and greater psionic shot to do a lot of damage from concealment and then hid to refocus.

macdaddy
2014-09-16, 02:35 PM
Ok then.

Human
S: 14, D: 18+2, Com:14, Int: 14, Wis:13, Chr: 10

Feats:
1. PBS, Precise Shot
3. Knowledge Devotion (Planes)
6. Improved Rapid Shot
9. Woodland Archery* (TBD)

Terrain Mastery: Underground (Darkvision 60'), Plains (+4 spot)

Skills(95 points):
11 Survival, Spot, Hide,Move
9 Search
5 Balance, Tumble, Jump,
8 Geography
5 Nature
1 Arcane, Religion, Planes, Local, Dungeoneering

MW Longbow Composite Mighty(+2)
Bracers of Archery, Lesser (we found them)

At < 30'
16/16/11 d8+3 (+1 hit/dmg Knowledge Devotion)

>30'
15/15/11 d8+2 (+1 hit/dmg Knowledge Devotion)

I wont do terrible amounts of damage, but without DR, I will be pretty consistent with ~21-24 per round. With another 12 versus arcane spell casters.

Now I just have to convince my GM to let me get a +1 Mighty(+2) Composite Longbow. Oh, I have the cash(something like 15-20K unspent), but for some reason he is overly miserly on magic items.....