PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Shadowcaster misinterpretation

FateNight
2014-09-16, 12:52 PM
Hello guys, I am having a problem with a friend of mine about the shadowcaster class from Tome of Magic, so please correct me if I am wrong.

Pg 117 SHADOWCASTERS AND
PRESTIGE CLASSES
He is misinterpretation this as being able to apply both caster progression from Noctumancer to Shadowcaster class and effectively double his spell progression at each level.
This helps Shadowcaster qualify for caster prestige if I understand correctly.
If he could find a prestige with dual progression saying ''+1 level of existing casting class'' and “+1 level of existing spellcasting class” I bet it would work(Unless there's a rule that says otherwise and I am unaware of it), However, both Noctumancer and Mystic Theurge do not Qualify for such a thing.
Mystic Theurge is an exception and he can qualify and apply one of his spell progression to shadowcaster.

Pg 115 A CREEPING DARKNESS: MULTICLASS SHADOWCASTERS
If I understood this correctly, it's similar to the retraining rules of Phb2, exchange a Wizard/Sorcerer level for a Shadowcaster when you gain a level.
Example: Wizard4/Shadowcaster4, when you gain a level you will become Wizard3/Shadowcaster6, correct?

One final question: do you lose spellcasting progression(because it's a class feature) if you no longer qualify for a certain prestige?
Example: A Wizard13/Archmage5, gets hit by "ray of stupidity" and his intelligent is reduced to 16, therefore he is no longer capable of casting 7(you need the ability to caster 7 level spells to qualify) level spells and not qualifying for the prestige.
He would lose all class features including the +5 spell progression(losing spells store), right ?

edited: removed the copyright stuff.

A Tad Insane
2014-09-16, 01:45 PM
He is wrong with the noctumancer thing. It specifically says an arcane spell caster, meaning that it falls in the "do not" section

Urpriest
2014-09-16, 02:28 PM
In general, you only lose PrC features when you fail to qualify if the PrC is from Complete Arcane or Complete Warrior. Otherwise, the only thing you're unable to do is gain more levels in the PrC.