PDA

View Full Version : It's the Kobold

Envyus
2014-09-16, 01:38 PM
We have seen their stats for a while so they decided to release the MM page. http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/excerpt-kobold

I wish we had larger and better quality picture of the Kobold. Oh and a Picture of the winged one.

DontEatRawHagis
2014-09-16, 01:50 PM
They look buff... Wtf?

Greylind
2014-09-16, 01:58 PM
We have seen their stats for a while so they decided to release the MM page. http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/excerpt-kobold

I wish we had larger and better quality picture of the Kobold. Oh and a Picture of the winged one.

Like all previous versions of Kobolds, they don't look like much at first glance. I imagine when the DMG comes out, the rules on traps will help make these the dangerous pesky little buggers I enjoy so much.

Also, the fluff mentions green slime. Looking forward to the rules for using that particular nasty dungeon dressing.

Rilak
2014-09-16, 01:58 PM
Pack tactics. That is pretty powerful for CR 1/8 :o

cobaltstarfire
2014-09-16, 02:23 PM
That's an awful tough looking kobold for sure. o_o

I think kobolds are a bit nastier now at face value. I had one whack me for more than half my hp (I guess it rolled max damage) in one of the first combats I was in. Being able to apply dex mod's to attack and dmg for finesse weapons and stuff definitely helps them out a bit.

andhaira
2014-09-16, 03:28 PM
Haha, in my first combat of 5e recently (HotDQ) a Kobold critted my Pally for 7 pts of damage. My character had a hp total of 12 so that was more than half. I pity the poor warrior who doesn't have Lay on Hands to fix himself up.

Regarding this preview, it's pretty bad artwise I am sorry to say. It looks like a midget Gnoll rather than a Kobold. :P

Envyus
2014-09-16, 04:02 PM
Haha, in my first combat of 5e recently (HotDQ) a Kobold critted my Pally for 7 pts of damage. My character had a hp total of 12 so that was more than half. I pity the poor warrior who doesn't have Lay on Hands to fix himself up.

Regarding this preview, it's pretty bad artwise I am sorry to say. It looks like a midget Gnoll rather than a Kobold. :P

Uh given the Gnoll by the same artists look like this I doubt it.

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2013/017/b/1/gnoll_by_conceptopolis-d5rsbti.jpg

BRC
2014-09-16, 04:05 PM

What do you think a Gnoll looks like? This looks like a small, scaly, vaguely draconic lizard person to me.

EvilAnagram
2014-09-16, 04:17 PM
Kobolds are always fun. I had my players investigating a kobold circus once. Knife-wielding reptilian trapeze performers are a blast.

Especially when there are twelve of them.

This version feels like a kobold. I like it, and the art is great.

Gnomes2169
2014-09-17, 10:34 AM
They can still be slain by a particularly hard thrown boot. I am not surprised. :P

Slipperychicken
2014-09-17, 12:32 PM
Aren't there flanking rules which make pack tactics redundant?

cobaltstarfire
2014-09-17, 12:50 PM

There is no flanking in 5e

hachface
2014-09-17, 01:41 PM
I enjoy the lore quite a bit. Ever since Dragon Mountain kobolds and dragons have gone together like... things that go well together.

Sartharina
2014-09-17, 01:57 PM
They look buff... Wtf?

Well, I'm not complaining!

rlc
2014-09-17, 02:29 PM

nope, there aren't.

Joe the Rat
2014-09-17, 03:08 PM
Feels very D&D koboldy. The new look makes them more dragon-related (it's the horns) and less like lizardhalflings.

I think the kobolds and goblins went in on a group membership to Acheron Fitness. Little monsters are getting ripped this edition.

MeeposFire
2014-09-17, 10:10 PM
Feels very D&D koboldy. The new look makes them more dragon-related (it's the horns) and less like lizardhalflings.

I think the kobolds and goblins went in on a group membership to Acheron Fitness. Little monsters are getting ripped this edition.

Halflings missed the memo.

Slipperychicken
2014-09-17, 11:46 PM

They still have 7 Strength though.

Inevitability
2014-09-18, 02:03 AM
I've used a kobold once in my campaign so far. It was an Urd sent after the party to find them when they'd stolen some valueables. The 'Oh ****' look my players got when I explained that it was flying out of reach of most of their spells was priceless.

mythmonster2
2014-09-18, 02:10 AM
I find the new fluff of wingless kobolds being jealous of winged kobolds interesting, considering it was practically the opposite in 3rd. Was there a change in 4th edition?

Envyus
2014-09-18, 02:38 AM
I find the new fluff of wingless kobolds being jealous of winged kobolds interesting, considering it was practically the opposite in 3rd. Was there a change in 4th edition?

It was the same in 2nd ed. They tended not to get along due to Wingless ones being Jealous.

Also to help people using Kobolds it's the Kobold Soundboard

http://soundboards.cubicleninja.com/

rlc
2014-09-18, 03:42 AM
Makes more sense that wingless ones would be the jealous ones, though. Glad they changed that.

ambartanen
2014-09-18, 06:12 AM
I had no idea 3e even had winged kobolds. What were they jealous about?

I like the art for the entry- they seem to strike a nice balance of looking dangerous but not an actual threat taken individually.

I also like the winged kobold's 'drop rock on head' attack option but I am not quite sure why it's their only option. Slings still seem more versatile than rock dropping and I always assumed every flying monster had the option of doing that anyway.

Not a huge fan of the low mental stats, especially the abysmal wisdom that I usually take to represent cunning and street smarts. Something with 8 int and 7 wis really doesn't strike me as the type of creature that will manage the forethought or planning of creating elaborately trapped lairs.

Janus
2014-09-18, 05:05 PM
The jealousy debate makes me think of the drow/drider fluff, and how driders were outcasts and what-have-you. Struck me as odd that they consider being remade in the image of their goddess a horrible punishment.

hachface
2014-09-18, 05:15 PM
The jealousy debate makes me think of the drow/drider fluff, and how driders were outcasts and what-have-you. Struck me as odd that they consider being remade in the image of their goddess a horrible punishment.

Well Lolth herself was twisted into that form as punishment by Corelleon Larethian.

So maybe she's projecting her own shame.

Janus
2014-09-18, 05:18 PM
Well Lolth herself was twisted into that form as punishment by Corelleon Larethian.
Gotcha. That makes some more sense.

So maybe she's projecting her own shame.
Now I want stories about Lolth visiting a therapist. Bonus points if the therapist's Freudian.

toapat
2014-09-18, 05:19 PM
They look buff... Wtf?

maybe this is a Male kobold and the one from 3rd is a female?

although i think this one is a PC who has spent a couple of months benchpressing Unstoppable forces.

cobaltstarfire
2014-09-18, 05:32 PM
maybe this is a Male kobold and the one from 3rd is a female?

although i think this one is a PC who has spent a couple of months benchpressing Unstoppable forces.

There is no physical, social or psychological difference between male and female kobolds in 3e. Although I suppose there may be in 5e.

I don't personally like the way 5e kobolds look, I much prefer the scrappier look they've had in previous versions.

Slipperychicken
2014-09-18, 05:59 PM
There is no physical, social or psychological difference between male and female kobolds in 3e. Although I suppose there may be in 5e.

Doesn't that just make them asexual then?

EvilAnagram
2014-09-18, 06:49 PM
I don't personally like the way 5e kobolds look, I much prefer the scrappier look they've had in previous versions.
I haven't seen a kobold who looks readier to scrap.

cobaltstarfire
2014-09-18, 07:50 PM
Doesn't that just make them asexual then?

Yes, having no tertiary sex characteristics, and having both sexes treated the same makes them totally asexual. (I'm being sarcastic here).

I haven't seen a kobold who looks readier to scrap.

There is more than one meaning for the word "scrappy", you're using the wrong one.

EvilAnagram
2014-09-18, 08:09 PM
There is more than one meaning for the word "scrappy", you're using the wrong one.

Yes, but there's only one meaning for the word, "facetious."

hachface
2014-09-18, 10:34 PM
Also to help people using Kobolds it's the Kobold Soundboard

http://soundboards.cubicleninja.com/

This

This is the greatest tool a DM could ever ask for

Envyus
2014-09-19, 12:24 AM
This

This is the greatest tool a DM could ever ask for

My personal favorite clip is "You attack me just to take my stuff! Kobold would have done same thing.

Erik Vale
2014-09-19, 12:33 AM
They look buff... Wtf?

Well... Kobolds are miners... I doubt medieval miners could not be... However it's all relative buffness, cause his arm is likely at it's thickest, the thickness of your wrist.

Sartharina
2014-09-19, 01:11 AM
Well... Kobolds are miners... I doubt medieval miners could not be... However it's all relative buffness, cause his arm is likely at it's thickest, the thickness of your wrist.
Right.

I don't like the nerf to their mental stats, though. I was all ready and waiting to await our new sexy reptilian underlords (Dragons remain our sexy reptilian overlords), before realizing they don't have the mental stats to pull that off anymore.

Person_Man
2014-09-19, 08:17 AM
When I saw the artwork, I immediately thought of how American Kirby is Hardcore (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AmericanKirbyIsHardcore).