PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder First time playing Pathfinder, need Anti-Paladin help

Drackstin
2014-09-16, 01:39 PM
So i going to be playing Pathfinder for the first time, now i have played 3.5 for years and i know there is not too much difference but i don't know any of the good feats in path or even hot to make a char (traits and added stuff wise)

So far i have picked a Half-orc Anti-Paladin of Rovagug. that's about as far as i got. i know i want to be a two-handed fighter with a Nodachi, we are using 20 point buy so im thinking 16, 11, 14, 8, 7, 16 with +2 to str.

Any help with feats, traits, variants would help, also what books they are in, because i need to own the books to use the features.

Psyren
2014-09-16, 03:25 PM
Eww, 8 Int? and why 11 Dex?

I would do 14 Cha rather than 16 so you get a few more points to spread around. Str 16, Dex 12, Con 14, Int 10, 7 Wis, 14 Cha gets you to 20 PB and you won't be hurting so much in the skills and initiative department. Your +2 can go to either Str or Cha. With full-plate and a heavy shield you won't need more than +1 Dex.

Here are some handbooks:

Bodhi's Guide to the Optimal Paladin & Antipaladin (https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9vv1a7v3y5BSGpObWxScUs1YlU/edit)

Marshmallow's Antipaladin Guide (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1HeZsjl3IsfTgJa-_nIEsbxbqSSC1Z4SyoXfhbnc0Z48/pub)

Drackstin
2014-09-16, 06:59 PM
Eww, 8 Int? and why 11 Dex?

I would do 14 Cha rather than 16 so you get a few more points to spread around. Str 16, Dex 12, Con 14, Int 10, 7 Wis, 14 Cha gets you to 20 PB and you won't be hurting so much in the skills and initiative department. Your +2 can go to either Str or Cha. With full-plate and a heavy shield you won't need more than +1 Dex.

Here are some handbooks:

Bodhi's Guide to the Optimal Paladin & Antipaladin (https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9vv1a7v3y5BSGpObWxScUs1YlU/edit)

Marshmallow's Antipaladin Guide (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1HeZsjl3IsfTgJa-_nIEsbxbqSSC1Z4SyoXfhbnc0Z48/pub)

Well I took that 20 PB from bodhi's guide and both guides say don't use shield. I'm going for pure 2 handed damage.

deuxhero
2014-09-16, 07:26 PM
Pick a summon for your Fiendish Boon if you plan on reaching level 9 (at the very minimum). Babau and Succubus are game changingly good when you get them.

Once you hit 11, be sure to get a spell storing weapon, as you now have an infinite source of spells to put in it (and that's the LEAST powerful use of a loyal Succubus)

Psyren
2014-09-16, 11:17 PM
Well I took that 20 PB from bodhi's guide and both guides say don't use shield. I'm going for pure 2 handed damage.

Even without a shield, full plate is still +1 max so you won't need more than 12 Dex (but 12 will still help you.) I brought up the shield because it can give you some much-needed AC at low levels.

deuxhero
2014-09-16, 11:50 PM
If you weren't already decided on a weapon, I'd actually suggest considering unarmed for an antipaladin because of Crusader's Fist is a nice feat for an Antipaladin and it's a good excuse to use a Clockwork Prosthesis.

For traits, Magical Knack is pretty much mandatory as a Ranger/Paladin/Anti-paladin, it's like 3.5's practiced spellcaster feat but half strength, which brings your caster level up to anti-paladin level -1, which is great.

Jigawatts
2014-09-17, 12:25 AM
(and that's the LEAST powerful use of a loyal Succubus)
And the least fun. :wink:

deuxhero
2014-09-17, 12:43 AM
That is STILL dwarfed by adding +2 to the highest stats of EVERY party member (and any minions you like for that matter) and giving them all effective telepathy.

Psyren
2014-09-17, 07:51 AM
If you weren't already decided on a weapon, I'd actually suggest considering unarmed for an antipaladin because of Crusader's Fist is a nice feat for an Antipaladin and it's a good excuse to use a Clockwork Prosthesis.

For traits, Magical Knack is pretty much mandatory as a Ranger/Paladin/Anti-paladin, it's like 3.5's practiced spellcaster feat but half strength, which brings your caster level up to anti-paladin level -1, which is great.

My hope is that, given the success of the Bloodrager experiment, that all casters will have full caster level in Pathfinder Unchained regardless of progression.

Drackstin
2014-09-17, 08:29 AM
i think for 20 point buy ill go with 15 str, 12 dex, 14 con, 10 int, 7 wis, 16 chr, with +2 str from half orc. ill be using the 2Handed intimidate style of play, i have found a few good feats for this, but im not sure about traits yet or all the feats. i also want to know how i can gain a language not on my list if i don't have linguistic.

Psyren
2014-09-17, 08:50 AM
That stat spread sounds much better than the first.

Which language(s) are you trying to get specifically?

Drackstin
2014-09-17, 10:09 AM
That stat spread sounds much better than the first.

Which language(s) are you trying to get specifically?

i want to get alko, since im Going to be CE and his quest is going to be to awaken the tarrasque. any group he finds he will tell them "it is my goal to fight with the tarrasque, to set him free and fight with him to prove myself for a greater goal"

this really means he wants to set the Armageddon engine free and fight along with it, but its not lying at all. and once he is able to set the strongest of Rovagug's spawn free he will work on setting him free next. and Alko is the only thing the tarrasque understands.

i will also say if anyone asks me why i destroy things, to fight with a destroyer one must be a destroyer himself.

Firest Kathon
2014-09-17, 10:27 AM
i also want to know how i can gain a language not on my list if i don't have linguistic.
Even if it is not a class skill, you can still put one skill point into Linguistics to learn a language.

Drackstin
2014-09-17, 10:30 AM
Even if it is not a class skill, you can still put one skill point into Linguistics to learn a language.

so 1 CC point will let me learn a language or do i need to use 2?

torrasque666
2014-09-17, 10:45 AM
Pathfinder did away with the whole "1 point for class, 2 for crossclass" thing. Now, you just get a +3 bonus to it if its a class skill and you have at least 1 rank in it. All skills only cost 1 skill point.

MightyPirate
2014-09-17, 10:56 AM
There's no extra cost for non class skills in Pathfinder. You just don't get the skill bonus of +3 to linguistic checks for cyphering or forgery detection/creation. You'll speak Aklo fine but you maybe not decode secret messages written in it very well and you certainly won't be able to forge the Tarrasque's birth certificate to convince him that you are actually his father.
A single skill point is probably fine to pick up any non-secret language but some GMs require a source of skill acquirement for character reasons. Someone who teaches you the language or a book is fine. In the same way that it makes no sense for a character who has never been out of a dessert is unlikely to have points in swim (without some reason explaining it.)

Drackstin
2014-09-17, 10:57 AM
Pathfinder did away with the whole "1 point for class, 2 for crossclass" thing. Now, you just get a +3 bonus to it if its a class skill and you have at least 1 rank in it. All skills only cost 1 skill point.

well thats good to know, im glad. what are the rules on traits? i see alot of cool stuff but not sure how many i can pick

torrasque666
2014-09-17, 11:07 AM
That tends to fall into the "ask your DM" territory as not all will use traits, some will require you to take one of a certain type(usually campaign traits if you're doing an Adventure Path), some might give those as an extra thing, etc etc.

Generally though, its two traits and they can't be of the same type. Generic traits have a "subtype" if you will, which applies even though you can have multiple Generic traits. So you can't have two Generic: Magic Traits, but you can have a Generic: Magic and Generic: Social trait.

Drackstin
2014-09-17, 11:44 AM
so what are some of the best traits for a half-orc anti-paladin based on intimidate and 2handed

deuxhero
2014-09-17, 11:50 AM
Intimidate no longer stacks with itself in PF so its not something you can focus on. Really the only thing you can do with it is add Cornugon Smash feat to get a free attempt every time you hit when power attacking.

Psyren
2014-09-17, 01:14 PM
Intimidate no longer stacks with itself in PF so its not something you can focus on. Really the only thing you can do with it is add Cornugon Smash feat to get a free attempt every time you hit when power attacking.

Shatter Defenses also works well with Intimidate, preferably if you can find a way to demoralize as a swift or free action.

Drackstin
2014-09-17, 01:19 PM
Shatter Defenses also works well with Intimidate, preferably if you can find a way to demoralize as a swift or free action.

i think there is a way to get a free intimidate in the crit tree or something to that effect. since the weapon i want to use has a high crit rate i think i could use that tree effectively.