PDA

View Full Version : Poisoned status.... how long does it last?

Bellberith
2014-09-16, 02:04 PM
As title.... How long does poison last? I have yet to see one that gives the duration, yet poisoned is a status condition in the phb.

(and another question, how do you guys rule greater invis and the person not sneaking? do the people automatically hear/smell the location of the target? and if the person is sneaking but fails against perception, does he automatically know the exact location of the invis creature?

i ask that because in my opinion invis seems too weak if it just gives disadvantage when someone attacks it and since most people take the alert feat they dont get advantage. but on the other side, it seems too strong if the opponent has to guess the exact location of them even if they hear/smell them, since the way combat is now without see invis or something it would pretty much be autowin.)

TheDeadlyShoe
2014-09-16, 02:10 PM
AFAIK, in the PHB only the Pseudodragon inflicts Poisoned and it specifies a 1 hour duration. Poison damage (like on the Poisonous Snake) doesn't seem to actually imply the poisoned status.

If you don't know somethings location you can't hit it. You can guess though, and if you guess right you won't have disadvantage with Alert.

per the PHB though your location is given away when you attack while unseen (though disadvantage still applies).

Bellberith
2014-09-16, 02:20 PM
AFAIK, in the PHB only the Pseudodragon inflicts Poisoned and it specifies a 1 hour duration. Poison damage (like on the Poisonous Snake) doesn't seem to actually imply the poisoned status.

If you don't know somethings location you can't hit it. You can guess though, and if you guess right you won't have disadvantage with Alert.

per the PHB though your location is given away when you attack while unseen (though disadvantage still applies).

what about if you hear/smell them?

TheOOB
2014-09-16, 02:57 PM
Poisoned lasts as long the effect that caused the condition lasts.

For invisible characters, remember that hide action can be taken so long as you can't be seen, which means you can hide while invisible anywhere, and even if someone detects you with perception, they'll be at disadvantage to attack you. If you are not hiding, then someone would know where you are, assuming they can detect you with another sense, typically hearing.