PDA

View Full Version : Building a 3.Next houserule-set

Alent
2014-09-16, 03:55 PM
Apologies if this is the wrong section, I wasn't sure if it should go here, in 3.5/PF, 5e/next, or homebrew.

When my group was introduced to pathfinder, some of us missed the 3.5 PrC list and tried using the "3.P" model of mixing and matching from the two systems. As anyone who's done this can probably attest, this was very kludgy, had some interesting rule conflicts due to system philosophy differences, and in some ways defeated the point, but the similarities made it very feasible to do so.

I've been getting ready to run a new campaign for my group with a bunch of homebrew, and I picked up the 5e PHB to see if it looked like I could use 5e instead of 3.5. I saw a bunch of things I like, a few things I don't, came to the playground to read the 5e forum and saw a bunch of "interesting" RAW arguments, but despite that generally was impressed with the system save for the fact there's no DMG yet. I decided to wait and revisit the issue wholly when the DMG comes out and probably try 5e the campaign after.

That gets me to the topic at hand: Again, I like most of what I've seen, so I've been considering adapting/backporting some specific changes/upgrades I think would benefit the campaign: Specifically the some of the changes to casting and concentration as an artificial ceiling for casters, using the iterative attacks as class features concept while still using 3.5's BAB and AC systems, Making use of advantage and disadvantage in both regular play and to rebalance some things like nerveskitter and guidance of the avatar, and a few others like baking spring attack in, and so on.

Has anyone already started on something like this? I have ideas on how to do it, but if someone's already started and is farther ahead than I am I'd like to look over what they've got to see if maybe this is just crazy.

Thanks in advance!