PDA

View Full Version : Fun Easter Eggs in the Books

SaintRidley
2014-09-16, 04:38 PM
Was flipping through the PHB today and stopped at page 73's beautiful tapestry of the wizard and fighter fighting off a three-headed hydra.

I hadn't thought to spend time looking at the runes, though. A few are upside down and mirrored, but the artist decided to have some fun with the runes. They read as follows:

This is Photoshop's version of lorem ipsum: Proin gravida nibh vel velit auctor aliguet aenean sollicitudit. lorem quis bibendum auctor nisi elit consequat ipsum nec sagittis.

Lots of nonsense, but auctor (author) comes up twice, as does Aeneas, and pregnancy (gravida).

Anyone else noticed any fun Easter Eggs yet?

DrLemniscate
2014-09-16, 06:00 PM
Was flipping through the PHB today and stopped at page 73's beautiful tapestry of the wizard and fighter fighting off a three-headed hydra.

I hadn't thought to spend time looking at the runes, though. A few are upside down and mirrored, but the artist decided to have some fun with the runes. They read as follows:

Lots of nonsense, but auctor (author) comes up twice, as does Aeneas, and pregnancy (gravida).

Anyone else noticed any fun Easter Eggs yet?

Translated by google:

Integrated child policy or originator aliguet really care. lorem any man to drink in the recipe itself, the author of the only problem or arrows.

Seems like standard Lorem Ipsum filler text; just chance for some words to come up twice maybe.

edit: Latin is weird (yes, I know, English is weirder). Changing 'aliguet' and 'lorem', to 'aliquot' and 'dolorem' so they would at least register as Latin changes it to...

Integrated child care policy or originator of several eneus. Only the author of the very stock market's pain Midi or arrows.

Changing 'aliguet' to 'aliquam' gets rid of that odd "Integrated child policy" part.

SaintRidley
2014-09-16, 08:17 PM
Thing is, it's partly nonsense that just looks like Latin and not actual lorem ipsum to begin with - modified ipsum, so to speak. I checked the original source for lorem ipsum.

Iolo Morganwg
2014-09-16, 09:23 PM
I liked seeing THAC0 in the index.

Sir_Leorik
2014-09-16, 10:06 PM
King Snurre of G3: Hall of the Fire Giant King is on the front cover. The disclaimer on the credits page namechecks the green idol from Tomb of Horrors, B2: Keep on the Borderlands and G1: Steading of the Hill Giant Chieftain. Count Strahd von Zarovich is mentioned in the Paladin's Divine Sense class feature, and Castle Ravenloft is the location of the sample game session in the Introduction.

Bruenor Battlehammer apparently has a great press agent, because his name's all over this book, :smallwink: but Flint Fireforge, Eberk and Tordek all have mentions, as do Mialee, Lidda, Soveliss, Gimble and Krusk.

eastmabl
2014-09-17, 12:36 AM
Pretty sure his agent is Bob Salvatore. Kind of a big deal.

Grayson01
2014-09-17, 09:40 PM
i liked seeing thac0 in the index.

grrrr thac0

EccentricCircle
2014-09-18, 11:31 AM
There's a fun disclaimer at the start of the monster manual. I won't post what it actually says so as not to ruin the surprise for people just reading it...