PDA

View Full Version : DM Help "Immediately" in a power

Epinephrine
2014-09-16, 05:23 PM
The warlock power Passionate Betrayal dominates on a hit, with a penalty to the save. It has this additional line qualifying it,

"The target immediately makes a saving throw against being dominated if it is the target of an attack by you or your allies."

My party's warlock wants to use the dominate to make the creature charge, and trigger OAs by all the party. Does the "immediate" save interrupt this action? If so, would it end the charge?

My feeling is that the "immediate" in this means that at worst it is an immediate reaction to being targeted, which would allow it to react once the triggering attack is completed, hence interrupting the charge action.

Tegu8788
2014-09-16, 06:28 PM
I'd rule it as, if the enemy is targeted, it makes the saving throw. Regardless of whether it hits or misses, the enemy has already had the chance to make it. Reaction sounds right to me.

How often it gets to make the saving throw, that I don't know. I could see arguments for making a throw before every attack, but I don't know if there is a rule about how often a throw can be made.

EvilAnagram
2014-09-16, 10:41 PM
Yeah, he makes throws every time he's targeted, and it can stop the charge.

Also, if it's forced movement, then he doesn't trigger op attacks. I'm not familiar enough with the power though.

Kurald Galain
2014-09-17, 03:58 AM
My feeling is that the "immediate" in this means that at worst it is an immediate reaction to being targeted, which would allow it to react once the triggering attack is completed, hence interrupting the charge action.

That is correct. If you want to kill a monster with OAs, I suggest using a "real" dominate :smallcool:

Epinephrine
2014-09-17, 07:43 AM
That is correct. If you want to kill a monster with OAs, I suggest using a "real" dominate :smallcool:

So, if the charge is interrupted and the creature is no longer dominated, it does not need to complete the charge, right? And it would then have a move and minor left, since it had its standard used (but is no longer under the "only one action" effect of dominate).

Kurald Galain
2014-09-17, 08:58 AM
So, if the charge is interrupted and the creature is no longer dominated, it does not need to complete the charge, right? And it would then have a move and minor left, since it had its standard used (but is no longer under the "only one action" effect of dominate).

Correct. It can also use an action point.

Personally I would allow it to make an MBA against whoever just hit him, instead of finishing his charge, but that's a houserule on my behalf, not actually RAW.