PDA

View Full Version : why is Forbes getting so much dnd news?

CyberThread
2014-09-16, 05:38 PM
Forbes is a business magazine they barley cover video games and usually talk of then in a stock market focused way.

In what way does it seem Forbes and dungeon and dragons partnered up This edition?

squashmaster
2014-09-16, 05:43 PM
Forbes has been doing more "nerd" news recent year or two. They had some comics related stories and I think a movie story or two recently. Kinda weird tho. I mean, The Economist is pretty much the popular business mag of choice these days, so maybe they trying to draw readership?

TheDeadlyShoe
2014-09-16, 05:44 PM
I'd guess they're trying to reach out to folks who maybe played DND in high school but haven't thought about in a while.

Shinken
2014-09-16, 05:44 PM
D&D is a 30 million dollar brand.

cobaltstarfire
2014-09-16, 06:05 PM
Forbes also had some er articles covering E3, so I guess they're getting more interested in more gamerly business?

D&D being an old brand that they really want to revitalize this time around (aren't they doing that every time?) maybe they thought it'd be a good deal with Forbes.

Last week we got a guy from 2e or older, so I think bringing older players back into the fold could be a thing.

MadBear
2014-09-16, 06:21 PM
I regularly see Magic:The Gathering articles on there as well. I figured it's just part of doing business.

Occasional Sage
2014-09-16, 07:58 PM
Also, Ewalt wrote a fairly well-received book (http://www.powells.com/biblio/1-9781451640519-0) on gaming. As a Forbes contributor generally he's a natural to receive advance copies.

Chaosvii7
2014-09-16, 08:35 PM
They the meek shall inherit the earth, and I wouldn't be surprised if every business-savvy man who subscribed to Forbes found themselves in a basement or kitchen rolling crayon-colored dice and playing with lead and pewter minis when they were younger.

Person_Man
2014-09-16, 08:38 PM
Also, Ewalt wrote a fairly well-received book (http://www.powells.com/biblio/1-9781451640519-0) on gaming. As a Forbes contributor generally he's a natural to receive advance copies.

This.

One of their staff writers is a huge D&D nerd, and literally wrote a book on the history of D&D. When writing the book he interviewed everyone and their brother with any connection to D&D, and so he has good relationships with a lot of sources who share books and information with him in advance, knowing that its always going to get a positive spin, which he in turn pitches to Forbes or WSL, who are happy to write positive stories about a mega-corporation.