PDA

View Full Version : Opinions of Book of Fiends?

2014-09-16, 07:03 PM
By a complete coincidence, I got the Green Ronin book Book of Fiends directly before a thread popped up on asking people's opinions on the sourcebook it was trying to 1-up, The Book of Vile Darkness. Personally, I think it's great at what it tries to do, even though I'm not going to be using its Planar Cosmology (but I'm still going to be reusing the monsters in said Cosmology), and while I understand why they did it and that this is just me having a different opinion than the publishers, I'm a bit annoyed that they didn't put in stats for the Demon Princes/Exarchs/Archdevils that they talked about. I think the monsters are on a spectrum of "not for me" to "brilliant," and the new base class is good, even if it has the strangest alignment restrictions on the face of the earth. What do you think?

atemu1234
2014-09-17, 07:07 AM
I love the book. I actually mentioned it in a thread before the BOVD one (actually two, but who's counting?) and use it regularly in some of my campaigns. One of which is a journey into the abyss. Fun fun.

I rarely use the princes/exarchs/lords, preferring to use the races of demons presented there as opposed to single foes. It works out well, in general. As with all 3rd party content, I recommend double-checking the challenge rating with Vorpal Tribble's CR calculator, just in case it might not work out well.