PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Keeping a low-op party alive with a cleric (heavy build restrictions inside)

Kazyan
2014-09-16, 07:17 PM
I'm entering a group with what looks like 5 inexperienced players, one experienced player using ToB, and me. I'm locked in to playing a cleric, and would like some help on making sure they stay alive until I inevitably do something stupid and die on my own.

Build is undecided, but since this is an inexperienced group, no cheese. Flaws are probably also out, because it's rather unfair if I start with more feats than everyone else with only minor drawbacks. Finally, my cleric's cause is already decided--magical transhumanism. Probably the domain choices of Spell and Mind (using Cloistered Cleric for Knowledge), although the DM has the final word. If you have any other domain ideas, feel free to suggest them, but do not tell me to build a Planning/Undeath DMM: Persistomancer or tell me to use specific unrelated domains; I can't. In fact, given the optimization level, experience level (we're starting at level 1), and the feats necessary for a cleric's secondary roles of choice, DMM: Persist may be a bad idea.

Complicating matters is that we rolled 4d6b3 for stats, and I wound up with 15/15/13/11/11/10. So, nothing MAD will work.

If possible, I'd like to do something with the Seeker of the Misty Isle PrC eventually, since it seems interesting.

Is it possible to build a decent melee cleric starting at level 1 with only a 13 in Strength? :smallyuk:

Troacctid
2014-09-16, 07:46 PM
Is it possible to build a decent melee cleric starting at level 1 with only a 13 in Strength? :smallyuk:

You could go 15 Str/15 Wis/13 Cha? But it sounds like you have a solid melee character in the party already, so you're probably better off playing support.

sideswipe
2014-09-16, 07:49 PM
hey in low op... augment healing and sacred healing are good. since you dont really have any uses for your turns except undead use them for sacred healing. and at level 1 a cure light wounds with augment healing and possibly the healing domain is 1d8+4 hp averaging at 8.5 hp healed, 8 is most starting characters hp total. thats in combat, and lesser vigor out of combat.
again this is low op low level.
i would suggest playing a cloistered cleric and take a back-seat in the party, nothing is worse for an inexperienced player to watch someone experienced with a t1 caster do everything. play support. at first level heal and the odd buff. you have so few spell slots. i might even suggest for the extra slots, be a favoured soul.
then completely without cheese you take versatile spell caster and have 6 1st level and 0x0 level spells in the day if need be (without including bonus spells).
this i feel in a support role at low levels is much better than the clerics 2 or 3. though of course the cleric is more versatile, but if they have other casters you should be fine. if they have no other casters, they need all the healing they can get!

Khedrac
2014-09-17, 03:00 AM
Remember Insignia of Healing - targeted mass healing with a long range and relatively low level spell.

Also for Low Op take a good look at Combat Medic from Heroes of Battle. If the DM isn't optimizing much either then the Sanctuary Healing Kicker can seriously derail the monsters' attacks. I have seen healers cast mass CLW with the kicker when everyone is on full health simply because the opponents didn't have good will saves or area attacks - resulted in no PC getting hit and the DM getting very irritated with his dice.

sideswipe
2014-09-17, 05:12 AM
Remember Insignia of Healing - targeted mass healing with a long range and relatively low level spell.

Also for Low Op take a good look at Combat Medic from Heroes of Battle. If the DM isn't optimizing much either then the Sanctuary Healing Kicker can seriously derail the monsters' attacks. I have seen healers cast mass CLW with the kicker when everyone is on full health simply because the opponents didn't have good will saves or area attacks - resulted in no PC getting hit and the DM getting very irritated with his dice.

honestly i find low op games can be great, simply because you have classes like the combat medic which are great and have nice tricks, but cleric t1 codzilla is better so people play that. this is low op. so optimise something you would never ever normally play which is sub par, rather then play a toned down class.
if you play a toned down cleric now that you know its power potential, you will forever feel like you could do better. and it may limit your fun.

for an example, i played a level 3 campaign recently where my first idea was an initiator, second was an iaijitsu focus abuse build, and the third was a human dude who throws greatswords, it was really low op so i chose the greatswords and loved it!.

ben-zayb
2014-09-17, 10:50 AM
Melee combat and cloistered cleric are kinda contrasting, don't you think? I suppose a 15/11/13/11/15/11 or 11/13/15/11/15/11 could work for each option, respectively. I suggest advancing age just to even stuff out, especially since you are not getting reduced mods anyway.

As for the build, i support playing support. Heal and buff works, and I'd even suggest Transformation domain, which is both thematic and useful mechanically (enlarge person on the melee at level 1).