PDA

View Full Version : Spells and roleplaying ideas for Arcane Trickster?

LucianoAr
2014-09-16, 07:56 PM
Im looking into the class and im already imagining it will be a blast to play it (havent reached the 3rd level with my group yet)

so im thinking

1- what spells would you guys think convenient?

cantrips, i guess true strike has synergy with sneak attack.. and thats it
lvl 1 charm person looks good, comprehend languages, not too bad, jump, useful.
lvl2 i guess alter self, blur?, invisibility

2- any roleplay uses of mage hand? haha i think its THE defining ccharacteristic of the archetype

randomodo
2014-09-17, 09:00 AM
Minor Illusion strikes me as quite versatile and useful. Disguise Self and friends are good (especially in conjunction).

Fwiffo86
2014-09-17, 09:09 AM
I suppose it depends on what your focus will be. If you are going to be battle focused, you will want the spells that distract, protect, or enhance your combat prowess.

If you are going to focus on the thievery bit, look at the spells like parts of a tool kit. Walking on walls to avoid pit traps. Disguises. that sort of super spy thing.

Be all IMF Ethan Hunt.

MustacheFart
2014-09-17, 10:25 AM
I suppose it depends on what your focus will be. If you are going to be battle focused, you will want the spells that distract, protect, or enhance your combat prowess.

If you are going to focus on the thievery bit, look at the spells like parts of a tool kit. Walking on walls to avoid pit traps. Disguises. that sort of super spy thing.

Be all IMF Ethan Hunt.

I too am curious about spell selection for the Arcane Trickster rogue. My wife is a level 2 forest gnome rogue in our HOTDQ group and was looking at going Arcane Trickster next level. Given the module, she would probably be more battle focused. Our DM is harsh on Minor Illusion but apparently that's just because it's a cantrip. He own words were that he has "no problem with silent image, a 1st lvl spell or other illusion spells of an equal level or higher". He just judged Minor Illusion very harshly because it was a cantrip.

Anyway, not to highjack the OP's thread (sorry), I too am curious to see recommended spells; especially, from a battle perspective.

Cambrian
2014-09-17, 12:35 PM
Minor Illusion strikes me as quite versatile and useful. Disguise Self and friends are good (especially in conjunction).Minor Illusion is awesome, especially used in conjunction with Silent Image. They can be used together to create an illusion with full sound and endless potential.

True Strike has good potential. It's only component is somatic so it can be cast while hiding without easily being discovered. With it even if the Rogue fails to remain hidden on the approach they still get the SA damage.

Trying to decide if Blur/Mirror Image is better for a rogue. With Leather and a +5 Dex mod they're at 17 AC-- not sure if that alone is high enough to make Blur the better option.

LucianoAr
2014-09-19, 12:08 PM
Minor Illusion is awesome, especially used in conjunction with Silent Image. They can be used together to create an illusion with full sound and endless potential.

True Strike has good potential. It's only component is somatic so it can be cast while hiding without easily being discovered. With it even if the Rogue fails to remain hidden on the approach they still get the SA damage.

Trying to decide if Blur/Mirror Image is better for a rogue. With Leather and a +5 Dex mod they're at 17 AC-- not sure if that alone is high enough to make Blur the better option.

well i like mirror image better, since with al the mobility you have you wont get hit as much...

Myzz
2014-12-12, 03:20 PM
I'm joining a group already underway. The group is 2 Shapechanging Druids, a Ranger, and a Cleric. So, I wanted to fill that skills role hence a Rogue. BUT the group is also missing any arcane use, hence why I'm going Arcane Trickster.

For Cantrips: Mage Hand (req), Firebolt (for ranged dmg and can dump my shortbow, plus I prefer lighting stuff on fire vs using other dmg sources), and Minor Illusion (my idea for it as a cantrip is to create stuff I can hide behind: stump, table with table cloth, treasure chest, chair, boulder, etc...)

1st level spells: Only get 1 thats not Illusion or Enchantment of your 3
1= Detect magic, very useful to find cool magicky items, or magicky traps... This is my non Ill/Ench
1= Disguise Self, can make yourself appear non important in combat if you need to, or use to smuggle weapons and stuff where your not supposed to have any.
1= Tasha's Hideous Laughter... cause your enemy to fall prone and become incapacitated... ooo another sneak attack yay... and hopefully they keep failing thier saves =)

I plan to pick up Ritual Caster at level 4, and have included the book as part of my equipment (just havent gotten around to looking at it closely, and I stole it from a library). Will obtain Comprehend Languages and Identify from here, and later any other rituals I stumble across...

Plan is to use illusions that I am required to take, in order to create my own combat terrain; giving me places to establish places I can hide and sneak from to get back sneak attack dice...or give "cover".

ONLY get 1 non Illusion/Enchantment spell for each spell level 1-4... Hence the reason to get Ritual Caster. I plan to use those 4 spells to pick up stuff to fill my Arcane Expert role within the group. Although my plan is to get knock for Spell Level 2. Spell Level 3, I am looking at Dispel magic, or Non-Detection... Spell Level 4 is so far away that I am not even looking at that yet.

Of course I prolly could have went Bard and got everything to fill my role, but I'm not a fan of playing as a bard. Personnally I think they should be required to tell tales, sing, recite poetry, or play instruments... thats not me so....

Was thinking maybe go Rog-Assn 3/Wiz 17, and just take a high dex... but the idea of a trickster and the Legerdemain sounds too cool for me. Figure that if you can do your disarm traps and lockpicking at a distance you are much safer than other rogues from those problems.

AND I think Spell Thief is way better than I saw on a diff thread. Whomever you steal the spell from loses the ability to cast that spell, that can be HUGE! Of course it has to be of a level u can cast, which limits it a bit.

Myzz

Inevitability
2014-12-12, 04:19 PM
Don't throw away your shortbow. You need a way of dealing Sneak Attack damage at range, and a spell can't do that.

Felvion
2014-12-12, 05:19 PM
I have to suggest find familiar. I'm not sure weather having a spirit in the form of a tiny animal fits your character scenario but it has great utility. The 5th ed version of the spell lets you see through it's eyes as an action and telepatheticaly communicate within 100ft which i find great for roguish players. As for the enchantment/illusion spells, just keep in mind that if you find yourself not using a spell a lot you can swap it for another when you gain a level.
Perhaps you may allready be aware of all of the above but people tend to forget these due to 3.5 bias.
Since crafting rules are finally out, if you find yourself using a spell so much that spell slots are not enough, consider crafting a wand out of it and then swap it for something else. If i were you i'd definately craft a wand of silent image!
In the long run, given your campaign goes a bit long, i'd suggest you swap a lot of low level spells and craft a wand for every spell you can afford. This would make up for the versatility you lack compared to a full arcane caster.

Last thing you should consider (and i really don't want to ruin the character theme you have in mind) is being a bard instead of the rogue. You lose much in physical damage without the sneak attack, but you are better in terms of skill coverage and most important you are a full arcane caster. More spells to pick and more slots to use them!
If you don't like the "artistic" part, you could definately bypass it by using all your inspiration on cutting words as part of the "i confuse people" scenery. Also, in such a tricky role you are better without much intelligence and more focused on charisma.
Just my thoughts, your call anyway!

Mandrake
2014-12-13, 03:23 AM
I wish to add another interesting combination, though I believe it's quite occasional.

Blade Ward + Shield + Dodge

In times of great need, if you are playing a melee rogue, you sheath your rapier or whatever and just spam blade ward and dodge a lot. Makes you a spare tank for some time until your friends recuperate.
Also, it allows you to use blade ward on "backing up" occasions, when you move, dash and blade ward. :smallsmile:

Shadow
2014-12-13, 04:05 AM
I wish to add another interesting combination, though I believe it's quite occasional.

Blade Ward + Shield + Dodge

In times of great need, if you are playing a melee rogue, you sheath your rapier or whatever and just spam blade ward and dodge a lot. Makes you a spare tank for some time until your friends recuperate.
Also, it allows you to use blade ward on "backing up" occasions, when you move, dash and blade ward. :smallsmile:

You can't cast Blade Ward and Dodge as they both use your action. But there isn't much need to Dodge.
Once you get to 5th level, when you absolutely need to tank for a moment, Blade Ward + Uncanny Dodge = 75% weapon damage negated. Blade Ward gives resistance and Uncanny Dodge uses your reaction to reduce it by half again.

Eldritch Knight 7 (or a homebrewed Spellsinger or Swordmage or whatever) and you can still get a sneak attack in as a bonus action while tanking with Blade Ward.

That's something that our table uses, a lot of homebrewed subclasses. We made a Spellblade subclass for wizard. It uses the exact abilities from EK, except for Arcane Charge. Arcane Charge was removed because it relies on Action Surge, which wizard doesn't have, and that was fine because wizards get one less subclass ability than fighters. The rest of EK's abilities slot in perfectly.
Wizard level 2 gives light armor, simple weapons, short sword, longsword, scimitar & rapier proficiencies and Weapon Bond (EK3).
Level 6 wizard gives War Magic (EK7).
Level 10 wizard gives Eldritch Strike (EK10).
As stated, Arcane Charge is not available.
Level 14 wizard gives Improved War Magic (EK18).

Viola, we have a Spellsinger/Swordmage/Spellblade, whatever you want to call it. A wizard capable of melee and casting, with a focus on the casting rather than the melee.

My next character on the other side of the table was going to use this exact combo.
Arcane Trickster 13 / Spellblade 7
6th level slots, 4th level spells known, 7d6 sneak attack

mr_odd
2014-12-14, 12:16 PM
It really depends on who your character is. Rogues can be so many things, especially now that the Criminal aspect has become a background (some may argue that, but I think it adds more freedom to the class in terms of what a Rogue truly is).

Who your character is and what he wants to accomplish should directly determine the spells he takes. Maybe he's a thief who manipulates magic for his own purposes. Maybe he was a mage apprentice who was kicked to the streets. Focusing on who your character is should help.

CrazyElf
2014-12-14, 07:51 PM
I just started playing an Arcane Trickster, the group i joined was lvl 7 so I'm lvl 7.
I chose Firebolt as a cantrip so I'd have a magical attack not realizing at first I couldn't sneak attack with it, but another question came up since I'm not a 'pure caster' but get my casting ability @ lvl 3.
When I cast Firebolt.. Am I doing 1d10 or 2d10? What level would I start doing 2d10?

Thank you!

Durazno
2014-12-14, 09:41 PM
You can't cast Blade Ward and Dodge as they both use your action.

Can't you dodge as a bonus action after casting Blade Ward, being a Rogue?

CrazyElf
2014-12-15, 12:47 AM
Can't you dodge as a bonus action after casting Blade Ward, being a Rogue?

No.. You can only Dash, Disengage, or Hide as a bonus action as a rogue.

Inevitability
2014-12-15, 01:20 AM
A monk dip should be able to let you dodge as a bonus action. Shame it takes a ki point, though.